Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I am a fresh Chemical Engineer graduate (B.Tech) with no work experience and want to apply for PR under SkillSelect. I have 60 points for subclass 189 and 65 points for subclass 489 (5 points for family sponsorship). Age-21, IELTS-8 band.
I want to know if this would be sufficient to obtain a positive skill assessment from Engineers Australia or would the lack of work experience be a problem?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes Engineers Australia is the only body which accepts engineers without experience. All you need to do is prepare your CDR with 3 projects that you have done during your bachelor's. Thing is you might only get assessed as engineering technologist without experience as opposed to getting one as a chemical engineer. If the career episode for CDR are good enough they might assess you as chemical engineer. Good luck.

Do not count the points until you have been assessed. You get 15 points only after EA assessed your qualification. And you need to have IELTS each section above 8, not just overall score to get 20 points. You should try to get 20 points using PTE instead of IELTS if you need to since PTE is computer evaluated and unbiased.

Reactions: akshatjain2

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes Engineers Australia is the only body which accepts engineers without experience. All you need to do is prepare your CDR with 3 projects that you have done during your bachelor's. Thing is you might only get assessed as engineering technologist without experience as opposed to getting one as a chemical engineer. If the career episode for CDR are good enough they might assess you as chemical engineer. Good luck.

Do not count the points until you have been assessed. You get 15 points only after EA assessed your qualification. And you need to have IELTS each section above 8, not just overall score to get 20 points. You should try to get 20 points using PTE instead of IELTS if you need to since PTE is computer evaluated and unbiased.
Thanks for your help!
Also my university comes under the Washington Accord so I wont have to submit a CDR. Would this be of any benefit? And what is the difference between a technologist and engineer in terms of getting the visa?

·
Registered
192 Posts
There are two pathways to apply for skills assessment - One is CDR and other is if the degree is an accord. So since yours is a Washington accord degree you could apply for skills assessment through that path.

With respect to your degree assessment , you should look to get assessed as ANZSCO 233111 Chemical Engineer. What Engineers Australia does is for people with not much of work experience, they sometimes assess as 233914 Enginering technologist which comes under (2339 Other Engineering professionals category) although I have seen them doing it to non-accord mainly. For both these ANSZCO, there are 1000 maximum invitations in a year but there are a lot more of people assessed as engineering technologists by EA even if they have decent experience in their field abroad. So all mechanical, civil, chemical, electronics engineers might be assessed as technologist so too much competition. So your best thing would be to apply for the 233111 category and if lucky u will get that else they will give technologist. Whatever may that be, prepare and score 79+ in each section in PTE. So that you could get 60 points for 189 and 60+5 points for (190 NSW).

Reactions: akshatjain2

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi!
I am a fresh Chemical Engineer graduate (B.Tech) with no work experience and want to apply for PR under SkillSelect. I have 60 points for subclass 189 and 65 points for subclass 489 (5 points for family sponsorship). Age-21, IELTS-8 band.
I want to know if this would be sufficient to obtain a positive skill assessment from Engineers Australia or would the lack of work experience be a problem?

Hi akshatjain2,

Can you please breakdown your IELTS score (W,R,S,L)?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I got my skills assessed from Engineers Australia as Aeronautical Engineer, even though I have work experience it is not directly related to my degree which is why I did not claim points for it.

I was wondering all the time what an Engineering Technologist was, thanks to sharat47 for providing this information.

Also sharat47 I believe you too are an Aeronautical Engineer.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I got my skills assessed from Engineers Australia as Aeronautical Engineer, even though I have work experience it is not directly related to my degree which is why I did not claim points for it.

I was wondering all the time what an Engineering Technologist was, thanks to sharat47 for providing this information.

Also sharat47 I believe you too are an Aeronautical Engineer.
Yes I got assessed as Aeronautical. How many points have you got? I got invited by NSW with 65+5 and superior English, now waiting for approval.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes I got assessed as Aeronautical. How many points have you got? I got invited by NSW with 65+5 and superior English, now waiting for approval.
I too have 65 points with superior english. I filed my eoi on 22-feb-2017. My first attempt at PTE-A I got L-89,S-90,W-81,R-78. The second time I got R-81.

·
Registered
110 Posts
What is the difference between 180 and 190 visa apart from staying in the nominated state for 2 years. Does it have any drawbacks?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I too have 65 points with superior english. I filed my eoi on 22-feb-2017. My first attempt at PTE-A I got L-89,S-90,W-81,R-78. The second time I got R-81.
NSW will mostly invite you this month. They haven't invited many Eng. Technologists so far but since ours in 233911, they give preference from what I have seen.

·
Registered
192 Posts
What is the difference between 180 and 190 visa apart from staying in the nominated state for 2 years. Does it have any drawbacks?
Both are PR visas, only the 2 year binding is there in 190. As far as I know there is no difference other than that. After you get 189 you could just enter the country and validate your visa and then go back to India. I don't know if that could be done with 190. Anyways these are the two best visas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts