Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have what I think should be an easy question to answer but I haven't found much info...

I am a US citizen and permanent resident in Canada. I have been in Canada for 24 years and want to return to the US, but I want to continue my career in Canada. I live right on the border of BC and Washington state so I know I would be one of many who live in the US and work in Canada.

So, the question is if I move back to the US I would lose my Canadian permanent residency status, including my right to work there. So what do I need to do to keep working in Canada?

Any recommendations for immigration consultants in the Surrey area of BC who could advise?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I have what I think should be an easy question to answer but I haven't found much info...

I am a US citizen and permanent resident in Canada. I have been in Canada for 24 years and want to return to the US, but I want to continue my career in Canada. I live right on the border of BC and Washington state so I know I would be one of many who live in the US and work in Canada.

So, the question is if I move back to the US I would lose my Canadian permanent residency status, including my right to work there. So what do I need to do to keep working in Canada?

Any recommendations for immigration consultants in the Surrey area of BC who could advise?

Thanks for your help.
To maintain PR Status in Canada you must live there for two out of every five years so the prior recommendation of Canadian citizenship is a good one. You do realize you would not retain access to "free" Canadian health care if resident in USA.

·
Registered
116 Posts
To maintain PR Status in Canada you must live there for two out of every five years so the prior recommendation of Canadian citizenship is a good one. You do realize you would not retain access to "free" Canadian health care if resident in USA.
I mean the OP has lived in Canada for 24 years so I'm surprised they did not get full Canadian citizenship earlier. Being a multi-national has its benefits.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I only have 5 to 10 years left I my career so I may not want to go the route of citizenship... I want to explore other avenues...

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
If you bite the bullet now and become naturalised, you won't have to worry about qualifying to come back in 5-10 years and there's no in-Canada residency requirements to keep it once you're naturalised; as a naturalised Canadian, regardless of how long you've been away, you would be allowed to pitch up at the Pacific Highway Border Crossing on 24 December 2026 and ask to be let in and the border guard who processed you would, after processing any necessary paperwork (for the importation of your household effects etc), welcome you back to Canada, wish you a Merry Christmas and send you on your way.

Also keep in mind what Auld Yin says about your Canadian health care cover.... once you're off of MSP's books and have left the province (or the country), you will have to re-apply for coverage and you will also be subject to a 90 day waiting period to get it back, upon your return to BC.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I only have 5 to 10 years left I my career so I may not want to go the route of citizenship... I want to explore other avenues...
5-10 years is still a long time and I personally think that constantly having to reapply for PR a pain in the butt compared to getting full blown citizenship.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.