Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.. I got my Australian PR visa 4 years back. I was in Australia only for about 10 months...Later on I worked in Canada and the US...My PR visa expires on 31-Dec-2014.. How do I renew my visa? I heard that there is something called as Return Visa (not sure of the name)....I want to renew my visa for another 5 years... I know I cannot get an AUS passport because I have not worked in Australia for 4 years.. All I want is to renew the PR visa for another 5 years.. Plz advise..

Vivian....

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Hi.. I got my Australian PR visa 4 years back. I was in Australia only for about 10 months...Later on I worked in Canada and the US...My PR visa expires on 31-Dec-2014.. How do I renew my visa? I heard that there is something called as Return Visa (not sure of the name)....I want to renew my visa for another 5 years... I know I cannot get an AUS passport because I have not worked in Australia for 4 years.. All I want is to renew the PR visa for another 5 years.. Plz advise.. Vivian....
As you have not spent two years in Australia you would not qualify for a five year Resident Return Visa, which requires you to have lived in the country for at least two out of the previous five years. Your only other option is a one year RRV, but you would only qualify if you have substantial ties to Australia and then it would only be valid for one year.

If you want to retain your PR in Australia I suggest you migrate to Australia before your current visa expires. You can stay in the country even though the visa has expired but if you wanted to leave you'd need to apply for an RRV, which is easier to obtain in AU anyway.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts