Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Myself, wife and kid have got PR in Mar' 15 and we are planning for a validation trip in the month of Oct' 15 or Nov' 15. It would be a for a week and planning to visit Melbourne, with wife and kid.

Request your suggestions on how to plan it economical with cheap flights, stay etc. When I check for direct flights from Chennai(India), its costing more than 50K INR per head, one way and anything lesser is with very loooooooooong transit time with multiple stops. Can you please suggest best way to plan this economical, along with best route, airlines, accommodation and site seeing plan etc.

Thanks in advance for your time and suggestions.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey
I Plan to travel in October 2015 during the dussehra holidays. Yes the cheapest flights come to about 50K per head. I however found that you get the cheapest fares on the airline website. Using agents will be easily 1-2K extra per head.
I am planning to stay at a friends place. About the sightseeing I still am looking for options. Please update this thread with your plans. I shall update with my plans as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Tuttu,

Yes, during Oct/Nov the ticket prices are about 50K per-person/round trip. Keep a watch on the fares from Airasia, which is pretty competitive. They also have a flight+hotel deal which, on some combinations can work out economical than taking the hotel separately.

Good luck with your trip

SS

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dear all,

After making a week validation trip to Australia and come back to india. Whether there any specific timeline to go back to Australia and settle there ?...

Please Reply!!!!

Regards

·
Registered
98 Posts
There will be a date mentioned in your grant letter (5 years from the date of grant) on the expiry of your RRV. you need to go there before that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Guys..

Finally I have booked tickets for our PR validation trip. Will be going to Melbourne :plane: and have a friend (School/class mate) there where we will stay. Have booked tickets for Singapore Airlines, traveling through Chennai>Singapore>Melbourne on 12th Oct and return in same route on 17th Oct.

Now can anybody give me the To do/checklist that I should be prepared with for this validation trip please :help:, like,
> Should I visit any immigration office there to get my PR validated?
> Should I/we get any documents collected or signed with regards to PR validation?
> What are the things/docs that we MUST carry during this trip, apart from PR Grant letters? (like educational certificates, marriage cert, my son's birth cert, etc etc)
> I heard about things to declare before entering Aus. what are they? How.where to declare them?
> Should we show bills for jewellery that we wear, like rings, chain, bracelet etc?
> My son is 18months old, can we carry milk/milk powder/biscuits/chocolates/baby food items for him in the flight? Should they be declared?
> I will be carrying my official laptop. Is that a problem? Should there be any supporting docs for it? Is it necessary to tell anybody that its my official laptop or can I simply carry it without any explanation as if its my personal laptop?
> Myself and my wife have got passports renewed before we got the Grant and the Grant is given on new passports only. Should we both still carry old passports, just for good order?

Not sure what else I should be aware of :confused:. Please fill the space with your suggestions guys. Thanks in advance.

@jimblrtoaus - How is it going with you mate? have you finalized your plan?:)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi Guys,

Myself, wife and kid have got PR in Mar' 15 and we are planning for a validation trip in the month of Oct' 15 or Nov' 15. It would be a for a week and planning to visit Melbourne, with wife and kid.

Request your suggestions on how to plan it economical with cheap flights, stay etc. When I check for direct flights from Chennai(India), its costing more than 50K INR per head, one way and anything lesser is with very loooooooooong transit time with multiple stops. Can you please suggest best way to plan this economical, along with best route, airlines, accommodation and site seeing plan etc.

Thanks in advance for your time and suggestions.
I too may be making my validation trip in the early half of October.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
> Should I visit any immigration office there to get my PR validated?
> Should I/we get any documents collected or signed with regards to PR validation?
> What are the things/docs that we MUST carry during this trip, apart from PR Grant letters? (like educational certificates, marriage cert, my son's birth cert, etc etc)
> I heard about things to declare before entering Aus. what are they? How.where to declare them?
> Should we show bills for jewellery that we wear, like rings, chain, bracelet etc?
> My son is 18months old, can we carry milk/milk powder/biscuits/chocolates/baby food items for him in the flight? Should they be declared?
> I will be carrying my official laptop. Is that a problem? Should there be any supporting docs for it? Is it necessary to tell anybody that its my official laptop or can I simply carry it without any explanation as if its my personal laptop?
> Myself and my wife have got passports renewed before we got the Grant and the Grant is given on new passports only. Should we both still carry old passports, just for good order?
- your visa will be validated/activated as you clear Customs at the airport, so no need to visit an immigration office.

- the only docs you MUST carry are your passports, although it is definitely a good idea to also carry a copy of your visa grant notices. The visa is electronically linked to your passport, but just in case the system is down or there's an issue in a transiting airport, it's good to have the paper copy of the visa with you.

- during the flight you will be given an incoming passenger card for each of you to complete, and this will show you what to declare. As a general rule, declare all food (if it goes in your mouth - declare it), money/valuables over $10,000, medications (they only ask about restricted ones but since I don't know what's restricted and what's not, I always declare all medications), items made with wood or natural products, etc. It's much better to declare something and find out it was not an issue, than to not declare and find yourself being penalised $220 or more.

When you arrive, you will first go through Customs before you collect your luggage, and they will process your passport (validating the visa, yay!) and ask you some general questions about the purpose for your visit, what you've declared, etc. Then when after you collect your luggage, they will advise you if they need to inspect what you've declared, etc.

- they will likely not worry about jewellery you are wearing, unless perhaps you appear to be wearing thousands and thousands of dollars worth of jewellery. If you have items that are extremely valuable, it couldn't hurt to have some documents (eg. receipts) but likely not needed.

- you can bring food for the baby on the flight. Check with the airline regarding milk as they may have rules for the amount of liquids you may bring. Definitely declare food/milk/etc. on your passenger card if you intend to bring any of it off the flight into Australia. Some will likely be not allowed (e.g. milk) but they'll tell you. If you bring it in without declaring, you will likely be fined.

- a laptop is a laptop, so they won't care if it's your work laptop or your personal one.

- as long as your visas are linked to your new passports, then you don't need to carry the old ones.

Enjoy your visit.

Reactions: Tuttu

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank You, Maggie..that is very helpful. Couple more,

> I was told to open a bank account ( in ANZ/NAB/CBA etc) and activate it when I land there. Since we will be going only for 1 week short trip, is that necessary to open an account now? If so, is it simple task to open an account on-line or should I have any local residential proofs to do so?

> How do we get Aus currency to spend over there? Should I get it here in India itself and carry them with us (guess there would be some limit to carry such currency) or can I get it exchanged in the Melbourne airport or would it be easy to open a bank account now it self and have some money there to spend? Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts