Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this isn't the right forum spot to post the Q.

I am going to start yet another one of those threads. I have tried to search online and on this forum but the issue I see is the person starting the thread does not typically come back with an update.

Background: I was born in India, moved to Australia in 2001, finished up my Masters, CPA, got married in 2006. My wife was born overseas as well and moved to Australia in 2006. She eventually got her PR in 2007. We then moved to U.S. in 2010 June. I seem to remember that she was actually eligible to apply for Australian citizenship the very week we moved to U.S. I did not apply and this is, by far, one of my biggest mistake…but I digress. Our, now 4 years old, was born in U.S. and I have got his Australian Citizenship done.

So the question is: does my wife, her PR has expired and we have had a couple of RRVs done for the last couple of visits to Australia, stand a chance to get citizenship via ministerial discretion route? If yes, what should be my next steps?
Appreciate any advice, insight and feedback you can provide. Thanks,

·
Registered
14 Posts
any application don now falls under the new rules, which are still going through parliament. No one is sure what the actual outcome will be, and I'm not sure if its even worth applying until the rules are actually set. that said, the new residency requirements are :

GENERAL RESIDENCE REQUIREMENT
Applicants will be required to demonstrate a minimum of four years
in Australia as a permanent resident immediately prior to applying
for citizenship, with a maximum of 12 months outside of Australia
in this time period.

This represents a change from the current requirement which allows time
spent in Australia as a temporary resident towards a four year qualifying
period and only requires a minimum of 12 months spent as a permanent
resident immediately prior to applying.

Increasing the minimum period of permanent residence required
to qualify for citizenship will enable greater examination of an aspiring
citizens’ integration with Australia.

the PR does not actually expire, but if you want to apply for citizenship, then you need to have been in the country for the last 4 years.

here's a ink to the new rules document :

http://www.border.gov.au/ReportsandPublications/Documents/discussion-papers/citizenship-paper.pdf

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My application will be based on ministerial discretion given my spouse is a trailing spouse to a Australian Citizen. I think that, in theory, means time away from Australia qualifies towards the residency requirement?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.