Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i will keep this as short as possible. Basically I got sponsored nearly 2years ago and live here on a 457 visa- my partner was de- facto. As i thought i would lose my job recently she applied to get sponsored with myself as de-facto on her visa, we received confirmation of this 6 weeks ago. We have now split up (10yr relationship). She will have been at her company 2 yrs in February and can apply for PR (the idea was with me as a de-facto partner). Also my company don’t know I have switched visa and i need to get a clean break so don’t want to be tied with my current employer whilst applying for PR.

Questions:

Can I apply separately for PR in February (assuming im still defacto on her 457)?
If we apply together for PR I am assuming we will still need current proof? i.e. bank statement, rental agreement etc

Any help of what i should do would be great, feels like I am in a right mess and dont know where to turn to. If it helps my ex would be co-operative

S

·
0 Posts
If you are defacto on your partners 457 and you are no longer in a relationship you should have informed DIAC and you would have been given 28 days to lodge a visa or leave the country.

Your ex can not add you as defacto as you are not in a relationship any more. The burden of proof for PR is much more for PR than 457 and you will need documents to prove you are together.

If you decide to do it anyway it would be visa fraud and you could find yourself without a visa along with your ex along with a ban from entering the country.

Your best bet would be to speak to your employer or look for another job to get your own 457 / PR on track.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the advice. ive just spoken to my current employer who have a greed to put in place the necassary arrangements to re-sponsor me. My last question is if i do get a new 457 visa with a NEW company- do i have to work 2 years for them before i can apply for PR? or will i be able to apply for PR having worked 2 years with a previous employer

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.