Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have been studying in Australia(Melbourne) for 4 years now, and I will be submitting my EOI application for a pr visa soon along with a TR application. I also currently have 2 aunts(blood related) who live here. I was wondering if it would be better to apply for a 'skilled independent' or a family sponsored visa ?

A friend once mentioned that a lot of family sponsored visas do not get accepted and independent visas have better chances, is this true? Also, because it is just an expression of interest, can i apply for both, or is that not advisable?

Thanks in advance:)

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi simpson457,

the number of family sponsored applicants that get invited per invitation round is very low. To quote from the 26 May SkillSelect report:

Please also note that SkillSelect first allocates available places to Skilled – Independent (Subclass 189) visas and then remaining to Skilled – Regional (Subclass 489) (Provisional – Family Sponsored) visas. If all places are taken up by Subclass 189 visas then there will be no invitations issued for Subclass 489 visas.
In the last couple of rounds they only invited 15 applicants in the family sponsored 489 stream. So you will probably fare much better with a 189 application!

You can submit two EOIs but note that both will be locked for 60 days if you receive an invite. So if you are really hoping for a 189, don't put in a 489 EOI.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts