Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am a PR and have been in Australia for a couple of months now. I have been offered a one year contract in Japan, pay is at par with what I will be getting in Australia.

My problem is that my wife is expecting a baby in Nov/Dec this year. If we leave for Japan, our baby will be delivered there as I can't leave my wife alone in Australia for labor. So our child will not be an Australian citizen by birth. And as it is contract work, I won't be getting any leaves as well.

Now what I am thinking is getting the baby delivered in Japan, get a Pakistani passport for him/her, and apply for a visitor visa for him/her. Then when we are in Australia, we can file an onshore child PR visa application.

I want to know is this a good approach? Is there any better alternative to this? How long will an onshore child PR take and how much will it cost? Also how complicated things can get? I don't want any complications to arise. Also please add information if you think I might have missed something above.

Thanks and best regards.

EDIT:

One more thing, can somebody please tell me how much will a child delivery cost in Japan for someone on a working visa? And what other things I should keep in mind with regards to Japanese healthcare system?

G

·
You have a few problems here I can see.
1, You may not be given a tourist visa for your child or may get a no further stay condition. Meaning you would have to apply offshore because tourist visa are for tourism not a means to apply onshore.

2, Child visa sponsor should be citizens or PR who are usually resident. As you are going off to Japan you could be asked about intention to reside in Australia. I am not sure how you would prove that given you already lived in Australia and were applying for jobs in other countries! The company you'll be working for wouldn't be Australian would it?

3, The child visa takes 8 to 12 months onshore, maybe more for HR applicants. During this time your child won't get medicare nor would you be eligible for centrelink family or childcare payments. Medicare would be especially important when you have children in my opinion.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You have a few problems here I can see.
1, You may not be given a tourist visa for your child or may get a no further stay condition. Meaning you would have to apply offshore because tourist visa are for tourism not a means to apply onshore.

2, Child visa sponsor should be citizens or PR who are usually resident. As you are going off to Japan you could be asked about intention to reside in Australia. I am not sure how you would prove that given you already lived in Australia and were applying for jobs in other countries! The company you'll be working for wouldn't be Australian would it?

3, The child visa takes 8 to 12 months onshore, maybe more for HR applicants. During this time your child won't get medicare nor would you be eligible for centrelink family or childcare payments. Medicare would be especially important when you have children in my opinion.
Since the pay is at par, I dont see the point of going to Japan to be honest. It is also a very expensive country, and you wouldn't have access to any public health care as you do in Australia. That will make things like a delivery very expensive.

Also, it is only a 1 year contract. What if the contract does not get extended - then a hassle of a relocation amidst a pregnancy/new born situation. In the mean time, if you live in Australia for that one year you can almost get settled and if you really want to go to Japan, you can, in case an opportunity rises in future.. good luuck to you

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am moving from Japan to Australia in less than a month.
Japan is a great place with many nice things and services but it is expensive and by all means not child friendly, especially in big cities.
Everywhere you go......except very limited places specialized for family, it is usually all about "adult space".
Also, you will pay for many social welfares which you won't get anything out of it unless you retire there. So essentially the tax is higher than what you see on paper.
I don't see the point of moving here just for a year since you are expecting a new baby and to be paid par. Unless you really like Japan and want to visit.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi all,

I am a PR and have been in Australia for a couple of months now. I have been offered a one year contract in Japan, pay is at par with what I will be getting in Australia.

My problem is that my wife is expecting a baby in Nov/Dec this year. If we leave for Japan, our baby will be delivered there as I can't leave my wife alone in Australia for labor. So our child will not be an Australian citizen by birth. And as it is contract work, I won't be getting any leaves as well.

Now what I am thinking is getting the baby delivered in Japan, get a Pakistani passport for him/her, and apply for a visitor visa for him/her. Then when we are in Australia, we can file an onshore child PR visa application.

I want to know is this a good approach? Is there any better alternative to this? How long will an onshore child PR take and how much will it cost? Also how complicated things can get? I don't want any complications to arise. Also please add information if you think I might have missed something above.

Thanks and best regards.

EDIT:

One more thing, can somebody please tell me how much will a child delivery cost in Japan for someone on a working visa? And what other things I should keep in mind with regards to Japanese healthcare system?
Japan is as expensive as australia, in some cities also more expensive if ur salary offer is the same or little bit better what is the use? Ur child will also miss on golden opportunity to be an Australian citizen he will get lot of educational benefits. Japan will never give you PR ever so dont have hope for settling there..It is up to u but ur situation can get complicated.

·
Registered
353 Posts
If the pay is at par with what you are getting in Oz then does it really make sense to move to Japan given your situation?

Moreover, do you know Japanese? I work in a Japanese company and I have friends who have been there. Life is difficult if you don't know it and it is expensive too...

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
I would be inclined to agree with other members. Considering that you are getting the same pay, what's the motivation to go there? Typically, if you move to a new country for work, as an expat, you would expect to be well compensated and earn more than what you are currently earning, otherwise there is really no benefit to uprooting your life and going to Japan, especially as it is just for one year.

I appreciate that you may want to experience the culture but since others have pointed out the issues your child may face in getting a visa, is it really worth it? I personally would not pass up citizenship and medicare for my child just for a one year contract.

Could your wife not come with you and then come back to Australia in time to give birth? That may allow you to still experience the culture in Japan and also allow your child to enjoy all the benefits that come with Australian citizenship.

Whatever you decide, very best of luck. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just FYI, I have Japan PR and the conditions were .... Oh boy!

For my case, conditions of GSM Japan PR :

1) had been living more than 10 years in Japan
2) had Japan tax payment records of at least 5 years ... meaning after I entered the 6th working year in Japan
3) education, income (at least comparable to average) and some Japanese language skill
....and etc
before I could apply for it and it took 6-9 months.

From this 9th July, I heard they will loosen the condition (1) to 5 years instead of 10 years.
Again, they haven't changed the rules for over two decades, so it is hard to expect they reduce this requirement further in the foreseen future.
Regardless the commitment is relatively very high....

One good news is that you don't have to be PR before applying your citizenship, unlike Australia.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi Karamatali,

Are you having a difficult time finding a job in Australia that you are willing to take a job offer in another country such as Japan? Considering it is only a 1 yr contract, what would be the benefit of going there especially when you and your wife are expecting soon?

Like others have suggested, it probably is better that your baby is born in Australia so there wouldn't be too much of a hassle with the visa.. tourist visa,etc. will take longer.. Considering your are already are a PR, you do have benefits in Australia that you likely would not in Japan since you are only there on a temporary working visa. As others have posted in other posts on this forum, a company could let you go at anytime due to whatever financial situation may happen. At least in Australia with a PR visa, you can apply for a job without worrying about getting another company to sponsor you.

I would say, think really hard before accepting this job. I think it would be better to try to find another job in Australia considering you have already settled there for 2 months. I think if the offer for Japan was like a 3-5 year contract, it would at least allow you and your family to get settled in the country. Then possibly settle to apply for a Japan PR if you've fulfilled the residency and other requirements if this is what you and your wife want to do. Otherwise, after your 1 year contract expires, you and your family will still have to go back to Australia and start all over again too.

Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys,

Thanks for all the great advice. I really appreciate your feedback. I haven't come to a decision yet but I think the feedback I have got from this forum will be really useful in reaching one.

Thank you all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Karamatali

I think you may consider very carefully whether you accept this offer. As other people have already mentioned, this is an only 1 year contract, isn't it? I am personally very happy to hear that someone is going to visit/live/work in Japan as I am Japanese, but I am unable to find any advantages for you by accepting this job opportunity at this time.

By the way, does your wife understand Japanese at least at intermediate level? If not, she may have extra pressure for her delivery because English can be used in very limited places of Japan. You may be fine in the company but please bear in mind that you and your wife will have been surrounded by a flood of Japanese words once you go somewhere. This is very stressful if you are not familiar with Japanese.

I wish your great future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.