Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like most of you I get continually pestered by calls from PPI. recovery offices wanting me to claim. They really pee me off, BUT about 3 months ago just shut them up when they called I gave them my details.

I had loans, car loans etc donkeys years ago and could remember very little but they needed mainly just my basic details.

About 5 weeks ago I got a letter from them saying I was due a refund from 2 different banks. They included my first one a very nice cheque for £400!!!

Well about an hour ago postie arrived with another letter from them....and my second cheque..........

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
According to consumer groups they take out a load in commission for doing it (as much as a third) and it is easy to do it yourself.

I didn't realise you was in the UK.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yip that's what they took from mine 25% plus VAT but to be fair I didn't know anything about the process nor would have been bothered chasing after it. My first one was£600 of which I got £400

·
Registered
21 Posts
Isobella said:
According to consumer groups they take out a load in commission for doing it (as much as a third) and it is easy to do it yourself. I didn't realise you was in the UK.
So where do you start to do it yourself?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bah!
Am all dissapointed no one asked me how much my cheque today was!!
Am still sitting grinding like a big kid. Can't believe it as I never have luck with money

·
Registered
8,158 Posts
Oooo, that could be 2 years' rent in Spain - get packing!:D

I know I had mortgages and personal loans in the UK but I can't for the life of me remember who they were all with or the dates so I don't suppose I'd stand much chance. I know I turned down PPI on some because I had a job which paid me 6 months' full pay and 6 months' half pay if I was ever long term sick, and the PPI policies didn't tend to pay out after that period anyway. Maybe I should have paid up then I could get some back now!

Anyway congratulations, an unexpected windfall is always nice.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Me too, but that makes us sensible not stupid. We never handed over the money in the first place, so there's nothing to claim back!
That was my initial thought... but are these rebates calculated with an allowance for interest? If so, at what rate?

It could have been a nice little earner!!

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
That was my initial thought... but are these rebates calculated with an allowance for interest? If so, at what rate?

It could have been a nice little earner!!
Not if you are paying a rip off company 25% commission to fill out a side of A4 for you. It was/is after all your money.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Just to be clear- I never took PPI.(or so I thought- the scam being operated was that the loan companies HID the PPI charge inside your regular loan payment )

I SPECIFICALLY told my loan companies, car finance firms etc that I did NOT want it. My reason was I was in a govt job and hence had full sick pay and job security.

Indeed the reason I kept telling the PPI compensation to bog off was because I " knew" I hadn't taken any PPI.

You can imagine my surprise/shock/ delight when I received £10k refund!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts