Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Is this power rationing because of the hot weather? Or just a technical fault?
Preventative maintenance is not done, so with the summer starting, the loads increasing and the sub-stations hotting up, (they only have extractor fans of which most don't work) the breakers fail for a multitude of reasons, but mostly caused by hotspots (the cable end lugs overheat and carbonise). This will carry on until the loading itself fails all the bad ones, and then we are o/k again until next summer when we start again. I don't think they do selective load shedding, that requires a management system on the medium tension grids that is set on automatic. I am told they keep it on manual for a variety of reasons.:)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a reminder we are in Africa after all I guess. Will have to make sure all my devices are fully charged and lots of ice in the freezer!

·
Registered
679 Posts
According to the news they ran out of gas that in turns runs the power stations,
Also according to the news all areas of Cairo will be subjected to cuts,
Technically that makes little sense. If the power station was down, then the entire Degla, for example would have been down, including several other suburbs, but only half of Degla was down. That suggests the "problem" cannot be at the power station level, but at the local grid level. That suggests a mains vacuum breaker tripped, and that suggests a maintenance problem, or rather, lack of maintenance problem. However! O/K, lets go with that one, for now...:D

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
Technically that makes little sense. If the power station was down, then the entire Degla, for example would have been down, including several other suburbs, but only half of Degla was down. That suggests the "problem" cannot be at the power station level, but at the local grid level. That suggests a mains vacuum breaker tripped, and that suggests a maintenance problem, or rather, lack of maintenance problem. However! O/K, lets go with that one, for now...:D
Since when does the official version have to make sense?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts