Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pound is rising against the euro!! or the euro is falling against the pound! Whichever way, its up to 1.15 this morning, great news for us who are paid in sterling - lets hope it lasts????!!!!!?? :eek::eek::clap2:

Jo xxx

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The pound is rising against the euro!! or the euro is falling against the pound! Whichever way, its up to 1.15 this morning, great news for us who are paid in sterling - lets hope it lasts????!!!!!?? :eek::eek::clap2:

Jo xxx
I hope so - well until it hits UK exports. I guess it may help Spain to export more.
Some say that the weak Euro is mainly down to the Greek economic problems and a lack of optimism in Germany.

And that the pound is strong for reasons as Lynn says. And the drop in UK unemployment won't have done any harm.

But it annoys me that sentiment might change tomorrow for no obvious reason. Seems just someone at the Bank of England or wherever makes a statement and the markets react.

Anyone care to hazzard a guess as to what the pound/Euro might be before end of March? I don't have a monthly transfer so within 3 months can pick and choose when but I get it wrong as much as I get right. So infuriating to see it a cent up 24 hours later :mad:

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope so - well until it hits UK exports. I guess it may help Spain to export more.
Some say that the weak Euro is mainly down to the Greek economic problems and a lack of optimism in Germany.

And that the pound is strong for reasons as Lynn says. And the drop in UK unemployment won't have done any harm.

But it annoys me that sentiment might change tomorrow for no obvious reason. Seems just someone at the Bank of England or wherever makes a statement and the markets react.

Anyone care to hazzard a guess as to what the pound/Euro might be before end of March? I don't have a monthly transfer so within 3 months can pick and choose when but I get it wrong as much as I get right. So infuriating to see it a cent up 24 hours later :mad:
You can bet your life that when I have to do a transfer it will go up straight afterward - or if I leave it cos I think it will go up - it goes down!!!!!

I'm just waiting for Mervyn King to bring it all back down again - he always does!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
348 Posts

Anyone care to hazzard a guess as to what the pound/Euro might be before end of March? I don't have a monthly transfer so within 3 months can pick and choose when but I get it wrong as much as I get right. So infuriating to see it a cent up 24 hours later

All of which confirms that none of us ;
a) have a clue what we're talking about on this subject

b) have any control over it

c) give a flying f... about UK/Spain exports

and that we care only about whats in our bank account on any given day

Anyone care to hazzard a guess as to what the pound/Euro might be before end of March? I don't have a monthly transfer so within 3 months can pick and choose when but I get it wrong as much as I get right. So infuriating to see it a cent up 24 hours later

Well...it may be parity...it may be 1.1...it may be 2.2...or 1.9555555555 recurring
It might even reach the dizzy heights of 56.38 and we can all retire and live in complete and utter idleness.
But, then again...it may well be 0.12345678 and we would all be wishing we lived in Haiti.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Hombre thank you for your detailed analysis. I feel so much better now ;)

Just for the record I do care about exports. Exports mean jobs and I have family unemployed. But I get your drift.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hombre thank you for your detailed analysis. I feel so much better now ;)

Just for the record I do care about exports. Exports mean jobs and I have family unemployed. But I get your drift.
low pound meaning cheap exports doesnt necessarily mean jobs - thats what "they" want you to think - lets face it, Germany and its strong euro didnt do them any harm - well, not thay'll admit to!! It actually means inflation cos we import more than we export

For selfish reasons I want more money for my pound and it also makes me feel that there is confidence building in the UK - now that could mean more jobs!!!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you 2 guys would let me know when you decide to make your transfers.........so I can wait until the next day!!!
Graham

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
The £ should rise even more after the 26th January when the figures for Q4 are posted. The drop in unemployment, record retail sales and stronger than expected growth should boost the £ further. added to this the problems of the PIIGS in the Eurozone....
The next important event should be the outcome of the election. Interestingly, this week's 'Economist' is not happy with Cameron's plan to cut spending as from Day One as the danger of a double-dip would be significantly more likely, in their opinion.
'The Economist' also supported Brown's fiscal stimulus against Cameron's 'do nothing' proposals.
Interestingly, Obama's TARP bank rescue programme will end up costing US taxpayers less than 1% of GDP. The partial nationalisation of some of the UK's major banks could actually bring the UK taxpayer a profit....

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
low pound meaning cheap exports doesnt necessarily mean jobs - thats what "they" want you to think - lets face it, Germany and its strong euro didnt do them any harm - well, not thay'll admit to!! It actually means inflation cos we import more than we export

For selfish reasons I want more money for my pound and it also makes me feel that there is confidence building in the UK - now that could mean more jobs!!!!

Jo xxx
For selfish reasons I want to see the high interest rates that accompany inflation:eek:
Germany remains the world's leading exporter (just) in spite of high unit wage costs because of its high value-added. Why do you and I drive BMWs and Mercedes and not Fiats or SEATs? :)
I think we should all be learning Chinese as we laze on our sun-loungers this summer. Beware the yellow peril (is it OK to say that?);)

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For selfish reasons I want to see the high interest rates that accompany inflation:eek:
Germany remains the world's leading exporter (just) in spite of high unit wage costs because of its high value-added. Why do you and I drive BMWs and Mercedes and not Fiats or SEATs? :)
I think we should all be learning Chinese as we laze on our sun-loungers this summer. Beware the yellow peril (is it OK to say that?);)
Hhmmm, I think the chinese bubble is about to burst, theres a lot of dissatisfaction with their quality of workmanship and there are a few companies pulling out (even chinese companies apparently)?????

I think your wish for higher interest rates may well happen anytime now which could be good for a rising pound too!!!???

Jo xxx

·
Registered
348 Posts
The £ should rise even more after the 26th January when the figures for Q4 are posted. The drop in unemployment, record retail sales and stronger than expected growth should boost the £ further. added to this the problems of the PIIGS in the Eurozone....
The next important event should be the outcome of the election. Interestingly, this week's 'Economist' is not happy with Cameron's plan to cut spending as from Day One as the danger of a double-dip would be significantly more likely, in their opinion.
'The Economist' also supported Brown's fiscal stimulus against Cameron's 'do nothing' proposals.
Interestingly, Obama's TARP bank rescue programme will end up costing US taxpayers less than 1% of GDP. The partial nationalisation of some of the UK's major banks could actually bring the UK taxpayer a profit....
I refer to item a) in my previous post

·
Registered
348 Posts
I drive a 10 year old Twingo.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
a) have a clue what we're talking about on this subject

HOMBRE

If we adhered to that principle of not commenting because we were clueless about any topic,, a great silence would encompass the globe..:D

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
a)

If we adhered to that principle of not commenting because we were clueless about any topic,, a great silence would encompass the globe..:D
My posts would certainly be non existant LOL!!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
348 Posts
Its a chocci bar - a mouldy one !!!

Jo xxx
It's a bloody car !! and it's our car. And it's paid for. Our daughter bought us a sat nav for Christmas. Our son laughed, and commented "the furthest they go is Mercadona ".

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.