Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am wanting to relocate to Dubai but I am scared if I leave everything here in London, and Dubai does not work out I will be in a whole load of trouble :(

I am an experienced sales person of over 10 years experience, mainly in the events/exhibitions space.

I am trying to gauge whether I should spend some time abroad at a friends place to save some money and look for a role in Dubai from there but I have been told that it is going to be easier for me to come over to Dubai and being there it is going to be much easier to find work?

I do not want to jump out of the frying pan and into the fire here and I need some advice as I do not know if I am making the right decision.

Anything would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
657 Posts
Hi there,

I am wanting to relocate to Dubai but I am scared if I leave everything here in London, and Dubai does not work out I will be in a whole load of trouble :(

I am an experienced sales person of over 10 years experience, mainly in the events/exhibitions space.

I am trying to gauge whether I should spend some time abroad at a friends place to save some money and look for a role in Dubai from there but I have been told that it is going to be easier for me to come over to Dubai and being there it is going to be much easier to find work?

I do not want to jump out of the frying pan and into the fire here and I need some advice as I do not know if I am making the right decision.

Hi,

Rule no 1: Dont come if you dont have a job offer. There are many people who would come on visit visas and look for job, so its really not easy to find a job.

I would suggest you start applying to the job of your choice (events/exhibition company), and wait for the right time.

Its always hard to leave home and come to a different company to look for a job where the competition is tough.

All the best !!!

Thanks,
Sunder.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hi there,

Do you work in B2B or B2C exhibitions. There are many international firms here who advertise sales roles. I work in recruitment ( Have done for 11 years) and work extensively with B2B exhibition firms. At present the ones i work with don't have any Sales Manager roles but if you create five messages on here then i think you can PM me. Most of these firms will consider people who don't reside here. If you are going to bit the bullet then either visit for a month and actively look or give yourself 3 months and plenty of cash here

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you work in B2B or B2C exhibitions. There are many international firms here who advertise sales roles. I work in recruitment ( Have done for 11 years) and work extensively with B2B exhibition firms. At present the ones i work with don't have any Sales Manager roles but if you create five messages on here then i think you can PM me. Most of these firms will consider people who don't reside here. If you are going to bit the bullet then either visit for a month and actively look or give yourself 3 months and plenty of cash here
Ok great, I will PM you shortly :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I cannot seem to PM you, can you please email me at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there,

Don't come if you don't have an offer letter, If your job is okay there in London don't leave. every time you go to another country it doesn't matter if you have a decade of experience or no. you will start from scratch so just be content in you work in London if it pays good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am pretty new here, but I have already heard so many people complaining that it is difficult to find a job here. I guess that people saying this is the best place for living and getting the dream job, they all have a back up plan and someone helping (sometimes the family with box of money). For sure there are exceptions, but it all depends on what you are going to loose

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm in a similar position, looking for a role in sales. I've got twenty years experience, but no degree, so finding it difficult to secure a position. Using LinkedIn Jobs and Gulf Talent a lot to try to secure something, but no way would I move Country without an offer in place. I'd not even move City!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Agree with the majority. Don't move out here unless you have a firm offer in place.

The amount of red tape and life admin I have experienced out here suggests that, if you were to secure a job after moving here, it would take absolutely ages before you start (i.e. medical tests, visas, residency, emirates ID, converting driving licence, etc.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree with everyone advising not to go to Dubai without any concrete job offer. It's expensive, even to visit. You will end up parting with loads of money. Sure it's a chance and they are two sides to the coin, you might find a great job. But again I would apply for jobs online if I were you and wait for an offer. Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My husband and I have been talking about moving to Dubai from the UK since 2015 and have decided to take the plunge. I have been applying for about the last 12 months from the UK and despite having a strong CV in my field, in that time have only been offered 2 interviews (both of of which were offered to candidates already in the country). All the agencies I have spoken to have told both me and my husband that what's going against us is that we're not already in the country (I get that they have a vested interest). We're going to take the plunge and move over without jobs - we've made a plan to come for 3 months with enough finances to support us - if all fails then we will return to the UK. However we'd rather try and fail then not give ever give it a chance at all. It's daunting but we feel financially we're fortunate enough to take the risk and give it out best shot.

My question is, if one of us gets a job offer, in general what's the length of time between offer, getting all the paperwork sorted and actually starting a job? I appreciate it may vary from job to job but would be good to have a general idea as I've been getting very different answers

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
7,146 Posts
My husband and I have been talking about moving to Dubai from the UK since 2015 and have decided to take the plunge. I have been applying for about the last 12 months from the UK and despite having a strong CV in my field, in that time have only been offered 2 interviews (both of of which were offered to candidates already in the country). All the agencies I have spoken to have told both me and my husband that what's going against us is that we're not already in the country (I get that they have a vested interest). We're going to take the plunge and move over without jobs - we've made a plan to come for 3 months with enough finances to support us - if all fails then we will return to the UK. However we'd rather try and fail then not give ever give it a chance at all. It's daunting but we feel financially we're fortunate enough to take the risk and give it out best shot.

My question is, if one of us gets a job offer, in general what's the length of time between offer, getting all the paperwork sorted and actually starting a job? I appreciate it may vary from job to job but would be good to have a general idea as I've been getting very different answers
Hi,
Few things:-
Regarding getting a job whilst in country vs. being abroad. It's not a case of the agents vested interest - it's just that each job will have hundreds (and sometimes thousands) of candidates applying. When there are so many suitable candidates already in the country - there is no need to import somebody who doesn't already live here, has their driving licence and is used to the working environment.
Regarding time from interview to starting work - that depends on many things including whether you are working for private or government company. If government, it generally takes much longer because of security checks and clearances - can be as much as 6 months from offer. Private companies are generally quicker but can still be 2-3 months - especially if key decision makers are away on business or holidays.
It is certainly very different from the recruitment process in the UK, for instance!
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
29 Posts
:pop2::pop2:

I really hope it works out. I have the feeling that you are very determined to come here without a job offer in hand and I don't think you can be talked out of it. So I won't try.

If you do decide to come here, be very mindful of the cost.

I am currently living in a hotel where the monthly rent is circa 7k AED. Do note, at the moment it is off peak season so I benefit from reduced rates. When. The summer is over, the rate is likely to jump to 10-12k AED.
My week to week expenses (for one) are 1k AED. This covers my lunch and dinner, laundry and sundries. You can probably live on less, but I do not have a kitchen and so I eat out everyday.
I haven't rented a car, as I am so close to my office. But to rent a small hatchback will be circa 2k AED.

In summary, your monthly expenses will be around 10k (£2k - £2.5k), not taking into account any liabilities in the UK. This cost will be more after the summer unless you can secure a longer accomodation lease.

As highlighted by numerous people and also from my own experience, it could take 5 months (plus) before you or your hubby secure a roll. Even then, unless your skills are high, you will be starting on a back foot as it is likely you will probably accept the first job offers that come through which may be below market rate.

Anyway, just my 2 pence.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts

Likewise hope things work out ...... I'll throw in my 2p worth on a couple of points .... I'll echo what others have said, the length of time from offer to sitting at your desk can run into a few months and become a little frustrating. I don't need to repeat how expensive it can be living here on a temporary basis but don't underestimate it :). Might be worth exploring what recruiters mean by 'not already in the country' ..... I suspect they may mean not living here and being settled here with everything in place rather than simply physically being here staying in a hotel, of course I could be wrong. Out of interest what are your respective professions ?

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
:pop2::pop2:

I am currently living in a hotel where the monthly rent is circa 7k AED. Do note, at the moment it is off peak season so I benefit from reduced rates. When. The summer is over, the rate is likely to jump to 10-12k AED.
My week to week expenses (for one) are 1k AED. This covers my lunch and dinner, laundry and sundries. You can probably live on less, but I do not have a kitchen and so I eat out everyday.
I haven't rented a car, as I am so close to my office. But to rent a small hatchback will be circa 2k AED.
Well someone is living the highlife, I rent an all in furnished studio in IMPZ for 4k/month, food etc for the week is under 500, probably under 300 in fact, and a rental car is 1200.

As the OP doesn't have a place to work or commute, I'd suggest the above is a better overall idea as their only "Commute" will be to interviews, and with the 311 and E44 on my doorstep I can be most places in under 20 minutes (Business bay, Tecom, media city etc.).

Question for the OP, louisella, what "field" do you have a strong CV in, that will help for the advice.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Well someone is living the highlife, I rent an all in furnished studio in IMPZ for 4k/month, food etc for the week is under 500, probably under 300 in fact, and a rental car is 1200.

As the OP doesn't have a place to work or commute, I'd suggest the above is a better overall idea as their only "Commute" will be to interviews, and with the 311 and E44 on my doorstep I can be most places in under 20 minutes (Business bay, Tecom, media city etc.).

Question for the OP, louisella, what "field" do you have a strong CV in, that will help for the advice.
Rascal - your studio sounds pretty good value ! .... I have an old colleague coming over after the summer on a short contract .. ..... what's the minimum commitment ? .... I'm not sure he'll be able to eat for 300aed a week though :)

·
Registered
29 Posts

Lol. I've not yet bothered to reduce costs. May do it next month.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Rascal - your studio sounds pretty good value ! .... I have an old colleague coming over after the summer on a short contract .. ..... what's the minimum commitment ? .... I'm not sure he'll be able to eat for 300aed a week though :)
dubizzle mate.

Don't ever let yourself (and this goes to everyone), get into the "lifestyle" as it's based on debt.

Been here 14 years, been there, done that.

When I see people saying they're spending 150k + a year on a one bed I honestly shake my head and know they won't last long.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.