Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All
Been reading this space for a few days and a LOT of things have been starting to take shape in my mind, yet, as always, I have so many things I have not been able to find info about.

So, basically we are seriously considering to move there and 2 remaining open things are the commercial conditions from my employer AND children school (3 of them all going to school in our home country). So here comes a few questions - thanks for any help!!!

- Re-location consultant: I will be probably offered one by the company I work for - what areas/support regarding the relocation will typically be covered by such consultant and which ones I´ll have to deal with by myself.

- We have identified a potential school (IB) and potentially an area to live next to it, but school is "full with waiting lists" => How painful it could be, in terms of traffic and different school hours, for my wife to take the kids daily to school and back in case we dont live nearby? E.g. From Greens/Lakes towards school(s) closer to Jumeirah Beach. 3 kids is obviously a challenge in this respect.

- Have you arranged the schools already before the move or have you moved in with some risk to find a school afterwards? What is generally the availability in schools in Dubai these days once we want all 3 to same one.

- Kids are non-english speaking except to the oldest one having some knowledge. How painful will the first months be for the ones who dont understand teaching and school mates?

- Personal question: As my nickname suggest, I run as a hobby. A lot, and long distance. I have seen the recommended routes in Dubai but we won´t be living very near by. Is it realistic to commute by car to these spots (e.g. Jumeirah Corniche) for a run? I have to be an early bird? 5AM? Parking places? How any of you runners arrange your weekly km´s? Treadmill is ok for some but is not the definite answer if I want to do a 25-30km run. ANy other best practices?

Thanks a lot - I look forward to get my package propsal and keep working on an IB school identified

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Dear All
Been reading this space for a few days and a LOT of things have been starting to take shape in my mind, yet, as always, I have so many things I have not been able to find info about.

So, basically we are seriously considering to move there and 2 remaining open things are the commercial conditions from my employer AND children school (3 of them all going to school in our home country). So here comes a few questions - thanks for any help!!!

- Re-location consultant: I will be probably offered one by the company I work for - what areas/support regarding the relocation will typically be covered by such consultant and which ones I´ll have to deal with by myself.

- We have identified a potential school (IB) and potentially an area to live next to it, but school is "full with waiting lists" => How painful it could be, in terms of traffic and different school hours, for my wife to take the kids daily to school and back in case we dont live nearby? E.g. From Greens/Lakes towards school(s) closer to Jumeirah Beach. 3 kids is obviously a challenge in this respect.

- Have you arranged the schools already before the move or have you moved in with some risk to find a school afterwards? What is generally the availability in schools in Dubai these days once we want all 3 to same one.

- Kids are non-english speaking except to the oldest one having some knowledge. How painful will the first months be for the ones who dont understand teaching and school mates?

- Personal question: As my nickname suggest, I run as a hobby. A lot, and long distance. I have seen the recommended routes in Dubai but we won´t be living very near by. Is it realistic to commute by car to these spots (e.g. Jumeirah Corniche) for a run? I have to be an early bird? 5AM? Parking places? How any of you runners arrange your weekly km´s? Treadmill is ok for some but is not the definite answer if I want to do a 25-30km run. ANy other best practices?

Thanks a lot - I look forward to get my package proposal and keep working on an IB school identified
Hi

I cant really help on some of your questions, I did my own relocation earlier this year and researched everything myself and I don't have kids at school.

My observation on the schooling would be that you face two challenges with the language. The non English part is probably not uncommon but the native language also has to be considered and assuming it is Finnish then you will need to find a school that can at least communicate with the kids before they teach them English ? (Im sure a teacher will correct me if thats not the case). A suggestion might be to try and find out where kids of Finnish diplomats get educated or kids from dominant Finnish companies ?? ... just an idea.

As for running if you are doing 25-30km runs, you may find that you need to plan some looped routes which is not impossible but will depend where you live. I trained for a marathon when visiting here for an extended time a couple of years ago and managed OK.

At the moment we regularly park at or near Kite beach and run or walk up and down the boardwalk but its only 2km+ (ish) long. Im not currently putting in the km you are talking about so this works for us. It takes us average 20 min to drive from Arabian Ranches 2. Early in the morning you will have no problem parking.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
A suggestion might be to try and find out where kids of Finnish diplomats get educated or kids from dominant Finnish companies ??
In Abu Dhabi ....... where the Finnish Embassy is located at a guess. Their start at school will be slow if they can only speak a language that nobody else understands. About as painful as a local Emirati with no English going to a Finnish school at a guess !

What relocation consultants do is entirely dictated by your employer - they should have given you a list and intro pack. What you get will also be determined by what your job offer includes - is this not clear to you ?

You can run pretty much anywhere in Dubai. You may be on your own and the area may not be particularly scenic but you're fine as long as there's a pavement. Look on Strava and you'll find a lot more routes.

PS You're VERY late to be choosing schools. Term starts in a month or so and the new starters in my office in September chose theirs about six months ago.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I´ve been in the middle of this expat proposal only for a couple of weeks and, as said, still waiting for the financial offer so obviously I am just trying the prepare meanwhile. Hard to apply for a school 6 months ago.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Hard to apply for a school 6 months ago.
Unfortunately that is a problem that a lot of people face. School places in good schools fill up quickly. The good thing is that there are LOTS of schools, and even if you do not get a space in the first school of choice, you may get one in the 5th or 6th school down your list (if you manage to figure out the language issue).

Where you stay should be determined by where you get school places, not the other way round.

You will struggle with the language aspect though, and either need to have a private tutor at your own expense (or the school may arrange for one at your expense), or actually help your kids with the language even before they move.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Have you checked out UAE Finns on FB? There should be parents in that group who can advise you regarding schools and the language issue. DIA has Finnish classes so there is bound to be some Finnish kids there.

Another option for your running is the running track in the park on the Palm. It's open to public and you can park next to the newly opened Ittihad station.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts