Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Follow on from the mailbox thread .

Do you have a postman who delivers mail ?

Here in Kouklia yes we do , but only on one day of the week .

When we lived in Kathikas there was none .

I just wondered how many areas around Paphos that do have a postman . Or should that be postperson . :)

·
Banned
1,576 Posts
Follow on from the mailbox thread .

Do you have a postman who delivers mail ?

Here in Kouklia yes we do , but only on one day of the week .

When we lived in Kathikas there was none .

I just wondered how many areas around Paphos that do have a postman . Or should that be postperson . :)
Pissouri has a postMAN. He delivers in the village, but not outskirts. 5 days a week

·
Super Moderator
12,544 Posts
Konia has one, or to be exact several. The village post office is in someones house and various members of the family seem to deliver the mail. No set times or days for it. Just as and when they have enough stuff to post.
If we get a parcel they put a note in our box to go collect it from their house.
However for important stuff we prefer not to rely on the village post and have a p.o. box .

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'm sure we have a postman in Polis, but I've never seen him doing his rounds. When we first arrived, our daughter sent us a packet with some important papers enclosed. It never arrived. After 5 weeks, I queried it and was told that there is no No 20 (our address) for our street, despite our utility bills, tenancy agreement etc being shown as No 20. I bought a postbox and attached it to one one the gate posts with large silver No 20 letters stuck on. It has always remained empty.

As previously stated, we rent a PO box and it works well for us - even though we get almost as many letters for Alphabank - the previous renter - as we do for ourselves!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Argaka has a post lady, and she eventually started to deliver to us in our first house after weeks of not receiving any mail at all - including an envelope I posted to myself and sent from Polis. I tracked her down in a local restaurant which her son owned, but she had no English at all and my Greek certainly wasn't up to explaining things. Eventually her grand-daughter and I had a three-way telephone conversation and the post begun to turn up.

When we moved I went to the Post Office in Polis to arrange redirection. The girl there asked where we were moving to and told us not to waste our money as we were staying in the same village. The next time the post lady arrived I invited her to come into the garden and pointed out the new house, which was about 150 metres away. To this day, she religiously delivers our mail addressed to our old and current house about twice a week. Strange system but it works and has a charm of its own. Getting post delivered at 06.00 on a Sunday would never have happened in the UK.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
No delivery at all here in Kannaviou but we have a box down in the village which is opposite the coffee shop where the postal service is sited.

The only village near us I know for sure has deliveries is Polemi where I understand the postman not only delivers post but also the local gossip!

Pete

·
Registered
105 Posts
The postal service in Anarita is a joke! We rarely get post delivered and when it is it is left on the wall of our neighbour, who has a post box right under where the post is left. A friend of our neighbour gave her a letter addressed to myself which had been found on the road at another complex having blown there during the recent high winds. Complaints have previously been made to no avail. We normally now call into the supermarket to see if there is any post for anyone on our complex and deliver it ourselves, even though the people at the supermarket get paid to deliver it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
We did live in Mesogi and our post was regularly delivered. When we moved to Koili we actually decided on a private post box, although there is a postman (well a guy in a pick up) and to be fair he does deliver but I think maybe it's a bit hit and miss, however we always seem to get our water bill delivered!

:)

·
Super Moderator
12,544 Posts
The only village near us I know for sure has deliveries is Polemi where I understand the postman not only delivers post but also the local gossip!

Pete
Yes we've been told by friends who live there that he is the biggest gossip ever. Knows everyones business and makes it his business to tell everyone else.:D

·
Registered
581 Posts
Konia has one, or to be exact several. The village post office is in someones house and various members of the family seem to deliver the mail. No set times or days for it. Just as and when they have enough stuff to post.
If we get a parcel they put a note in our box to go collect it from their house.
However for important stuff we prefer not to rely on the village post and have a p.o. box .
This is what we have in Marathounda, but they only seem to come once or twice week, despite the fact that I do get mail daily. It just ends up sitting there until they decide to bring it.

Lately, more often than not its been the muptas 14 year old granddaughter deliverying our mail.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts