Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend (USC) who has applied for her ILR via the postal route. She's received her acknowledgement letter (that the UKBA has received the application packet) and is awaiting receipt of her letter to enroll her biometrics...

And now realises that with the UKBA holding her passport she has no identification to prove who she is when she goes to enroll her biometrics (once she gets the letter telling her to do that)!

We know the UKBA will not send her passport back until a decision is made. To make a long story short, all she has is a photocopy of her US passport bio page and visa vignette.

Will this be acceptable to the Post Office in combination with the letters from the UKBA (receipt of application acknowledgement+the instruction to enroll biometrics)?

Please help, she's sick with worry about this!

·
Registered
39,103 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We've both watched the video on that link, and also read the transcripts - in the video the applicant hands over a passport with his letter - the clerk confirms name and birthdate matches the letter; in the transcript the script reads the clerk confirms name and birthdate.

Several of my f2f expat group say they were asked for ID and used a variety of IDs, mainly UK and US driving licenses, although two did say they used their student ID cards from foreign unis in combination with photocopies of their passport pages.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Then the UKBA and Post Office sites should mention this. Often those clerks aren't familiar with official procedure and may ask for documents that aren't specified. If it were me, I'd protest no such ID requirement is mentioned anywhere so I don't need one.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Then the UKBA and Post Office sites should mention this. Often those clerks aren't familiar with official procedure and may ask for documents that aren't specified. If it were me, I'd protest no such ID requirement is mentioned anywhere so I don't need one.
You know, once upon a time I wouldn't have had the gumption to be assertive but (ahem) with age comes, well, gumption:D I think the UKBA should make that part clearer to applicants and to the Post Office.

I think my friend is going to be fine :fingerscrossed: , and Joppa, I really like your style, thank-you for the reassurance!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I got my biometrics letter Friday. I went on the same day. They needed nothing but the page with the bar code and of course the £19.20 fee. It was fast and they were really friendly. So please visa come soon. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts