Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 14532 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello all!

I can't seem to find a thread where only UK visa-seekers can post and update their visa processing timeline so I thought it may be useful to start one to share info.

Please list the following:
Country applying from:
Type of visa applied for:
Date application submitted (online or in person):
Date biometrics taken:
Date documentation was received by UK Border Agency office:
Office location processing your visa:
Projected timeline given:
Date your visa was received:

Thanks!

Moderator Message

This thread is for timelines ONLY.

Please use the template above as a guide and only post in this format so it is easy to read.

Please ask your questions on the general forum. Off topic comments or questions will be removed.

If you want to discuss the visa processing procedure or congratulate someone please use this thread:

https://www.expatforum.com/expats/b...complain-commiserate-congratulate-thread.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello all!

I can't seem to find a thread where only UK visa-seekers can post and update their visa processing timeline so I thought it may be useful to start one to share info.

Please list the following:
Country applying from:
Type of visa applied for:
Date application submitted (online or in person):
Date biometrics taken:
Date documentation was received by UK Border Agency office:
Office location processing your visa:
Projected timeline given:
Date your visa was received:

Thanks!
So here's mine.....
Country applying from: US
Type of visa applied for: Spouse/settlement
Date application submitted (online or in person): August 31, 2009
Date biometrics taken: September 4, 2009
Date documentation was received by UK Border Agency office: September 14th
Office location processing your visa: Chicago, IL
Projected timeline given: 50 days (settlement), 5-15 days (other)
Date your visa was received: Pending (eeeeeek!!--it's been 11 loooong days)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Country applying from: Australia
Type of visa applied for: Youth Mobility
Date application submitted (online or in person): Via post
Date biometrics taken: Few days after appointment was made
Office location processing your visa: Canberra, Australia
Projected timeline given: None

All up basically I had to wait a couple of days for my interview and we got our Visa's back 7 days after we sent them - it was so easy and quick!!! :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I like this idea, here we go:

Country applying from:US
Type of visa applied for:Fiance
Date application submitted (online or in person):June 26th
Date biometrics taken:July 2nd
Date documentation was received by UK Border Agency office: July 11th
Office location processing your visa: Los Angeles CA
Projected timeline given: 40-45 business days
Date your visa was received: still waiting! its been 60+ days *sigh* :mad:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I like this idea, here we go:

Country applying from:US
Type of visa applied for:Fiance
Date application submitted (online or in person):June 26th
Date biometrics taken:July 2nd
Date documentation was received by UK Border Agency office: July 11th
Office location processing your visa: Los Angeles CA
Projected timeline given: 40-45 business days
Date your visa was received: still waiting! its been 60+ days *sigh* :mad:
Need to make a small adjustment...

Date your visa was received: TODAY :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Country applying from: - United States
Type of visa applied for: Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer
Date application submitted (online or in person): 14 August (online)
Date biometrics taken: 1 September
Date documentation was received by UK Border Agency office: 2 September
Office location processing your visa: New York
Projected timeline given: two days
Date your visa was received: 2 September

g

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tier 1 visa from Chicago

I was in the Uk on a student visa and came back to the US to apply for my Tier-1.

I sent out my application on October 8th and I have no idea what to expect for processing times for the Chicago consulate.

Does anyone have any idea how long the Chicago consulate takes to process Tier-1 visas? I heard that its usually 3 - 15 days but I dont know anyone who's had a visa processed through there. I have a ticket back to London for the 20th but I don't think that's going to happen.

Any ideas??

Also, do they notify you through email or regular mail?

Thanks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I was in the Uk on a student visa and came back to the US to apply for my Tier-1.

I sent out my application on October 8th and I have no idea what to expect for processing times for the Chicago consulate.

Does anyone have any idea how long the Chicago consulate takes to process Tier-1 visas? I heard that its usually 3 - 15 days but I dont know anyone who's had a visa processed through there. I have a ticket back to London for the 20th but I don't think that's going to happen.

Any ideas??

Thanks!
They should email you when they receive your application and again when it is approved and they are mailing your passport, etc back.

I haven't applied for a Tier 1 visa through Chicago, but I did get my Student Visa from them. It was very fast, though I cannot remember precisely how long. Well under 14 days. No idea how that will translate to the other visa though.

Best wishes,
Elizabeth

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great to know.....

So here's mine.....
Date your visa was received: Pending (eeeeeek!!--it's been 11 loooong days)
So it could take roughly 2 months then? Were you married prior to applying for the visa? My fiancee and I are trying to determine if we need to get married ASAP in order to get the Spouse Visa for her. I'll get mine from my company.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Country applying from: - United States
Type of visa applied for: Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer
Date application submitted (online or in person): 14 August (online)
Date biometrics taken: 1 September
Date documentation was received by UK Border Agency office: 2 September
Office location processing your visa: New York
Projected timeline given: two days
Date your visa was received: 2 September

g
I'm not sure if this is a typical timeline for a Tier 2 visa to be awarded, but it makes sense that it would be much faster than spouse visas, which sadly seem to take just this side of forever.

In order for your fiance to be included on your Tier 2 visa, which your company should apply for on your behalf, you will need to be married. You want her on that visa, as spousal visas are not intended for the spouses of those who have limited leave to remain (which will include you), they are for those who are settled in the UK with either indefinite leave or citizenship. She needs to be included on your Tier 2 visa application, as a dependent. This should allow her to work, as I understand the UK rules.

It is possible that she can be included as a dependent if you have been living together in a relationship akin to marriage for a long time, but they may want a good deal of evidence for your relationship in that case, so since you want to get married it will probably make things much easier if you do so before your company applies for your visa.

Best wishes,
Elizabeth

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Any ideas??

Thanks!
You can get an idea by viewing this chart: Guide to visa processing times

Although, they should have emailed you a confirmation and "projected timeline" upon receiving your application.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So it could take roughly 2 months then? Were you married prior to applying for the visa? My fiancee and I are trying to determine if we need to get married ASAP in order to get the Spouse Visa for her. I'll get mine from my company.
This link is pretty useful: Guide to visa processing times. The processing times vary by visa processing location and type of visa applied for. I have heard of companies sponsoring spouses (or in your case, partners), so that may be something you could look in to.

My husband and I were married prior to my applying for a Spouse Visa.

It is possible, however, to apply for a Fiancee Visa. I believe under that visa, though, you would be expected to marry within a certain time (6 months, I think).

Best of luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update!

Here's my updated info!

Email requesting more information: Tuesday, October 20, 2009
More information provided: Thursday, October 22, 2009
Informed I would receive my visa via UPS within a week: Thursday, October 22, 2009

YAY!!!!!! What a huge relief--I can hardly believe it!!! Time to celebrate : ).

·
Registered
281 Posts
Here's my updated info!

Email requesting more information: Tuesday, October 20, 2009
More information provided: Thursday, October 22, 2009
Informed I would receive my visa via UPS within a week: Thursday, October 22, 2009

YAY!!!!!! What a huge relief--I can hardly believe it!!! Time to celebrate : ).
CONGRATS~!!!
what additional info did they request?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
CONGRATS~!!!
what additional info did they request?
At the time I submitted my application packet, we didn't have an adress in Oxford (where we will be), so I listed his parents' address which is in another city.

I also didn't submit a letter of his support of my application because it didn't ask for one....I only gave them what they asked since we both figured they wouldn't want to spend time going through "extra" documents.....so they wanted his support letter as well.

So I provided a copy of our property application letter and and the letter stating we were approved to move in, as well as his letter of support.

I found out that I was approved literally about 10 minutes after faxing the additional information in.

All in all, it was a 29 working day wait--well under their 50 day target. Of course this felt like 29 years.

·
Registered
281 Posts
At the time I submitted my application packet, we didn't have an adress in Oxford (where we will be), so I listed his parents' address which is in another city.

I also didn't submit a letter of his support of my application because it didn't ask for one....I only gave them what they asked since we both figured they wouldn't want to spend time going through "extra" documents.....so they wanted his support letter as well.

So I provided a copy of our property application letter and and the letter stating we were approved to move in, as well as his letter of support.

I found out that I was approved literally about 10 minutes after faxing the additional information in.

All in all, it was a 29 working day wait--well under their 50 day target. Of course this felt like 29 years.
ah. ok ! thank you for replying. I am so happy for you!!!!
It seems pretty cut and dry... phew!
may i ask, did you have a lot in savings?

1 - 20 of 14532 Posts