Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any 189 holders/applicants planning to start their post grad studies in 2018? What is your motivation to study? What are the pros and cons of local experience vs studying first?

Found this relevant curve the other day and it's got me to thinking. I'd particularly be interested to hear from someone who switched opinion after landing.

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
It depends on what do you want after getting PR.

Don't forget about the tax implications when getting higher salary.

For me personally, I'd use the money for my first home deposit rather than for continuing my education.

So, to answer your question, I'd prefer getting a job.

Pls note that this is coming from a person who already has family and want to raise them in Australia.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Indeed.
As a 25 yrs old bachelor, i could take a different path there. And I'd really love to study too.
But with the changes in fee structure, it's even bigger challenge now. Let's see.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Any 189 holders/applicants planning to start their post grad studies in 2018? What is your motivation to study? What are the pros and cons of local experience vs studying first?

Found this relevant curve the other day and it's got me to thinking. I'd particularly be interested to hear from someone who switched opinion after landing.

I would prefer to get a job asap as working I could save more money to study in future.

2nd PTE attempt - 11 Aug 17 (88, 75, 90, 84)
EOI submited - 12 Jul 17 (60 points 189)
EOI updated - 13 Aug 17 (70 points 189)
Invitation - ????
Age - 30 points
Experience - 15 points
English - 10 points
Qualification - BE - 15 points
189 - 70 points
190 VIC - 75 points
489 VIC - 80 points

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you take up post graduate studies like a maters degree, while you have little or no experience, you could become overqualified for certain jobs.

I would choose getting the job first, then taking up additional studies down the track.

You can always take short refresher courses.... these will probably help with getting a job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts