Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys,

This is my first post on this forum as I am now looking to relocate to australia. I have been looking about for jobs where the employer will sponsor me on a 457 visa.

I now have an interview on friday morning 1am uk time!!! . I have been in touch with the recruiter for a number of weeks now and the lady seems really keen on the skills I have got and my certificates I have scanned to her so far so good.

I already asked from the initial emails about a relocation package and what she has told me initially is they will provide a 457 visa and temporary accomodation on arrival in perth but stopped short of flights due to previous and future employees not being offered that perk. I have not discussed salary with her and I wont until it gets mentioned as I may not even be offered the job. The salary range for the position I am talking about is from $100k-$150k.

Any advice on how much salary would I need to have a comfortable life with the house/apartment and car etc and would my girlfriend who is coming along would be covered on my visa. She will be applying for jobs once we get there.

Also should I reach negotiation stage do you have any tips on how to go about this and what I should ask for that isn't out of the question.

Any Advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi there we are moving to Perth in July. My husband is an engineer and managed to have a phone interview and then a video conference. In terms of package its usually about 9% pension on top of salary. They sponsored via 457 and paid all costs, paid flights for the 4 of us and usually ask if there is any contribution towards removal cost. A friend of ours also got temporary accimodatiin for a month thrown in as well. Good luck with your interview

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there we are moving to Perth in July. My husband is an engineer and managed to have a phone interview and then a video conference. In terms of package its usually about 9% pension on top of salary. They sponsored via 457 and paid all costs, paid flights for the 4 of us and usually ask if there is any contribution towards removal cost. A friend of ours also got temporary accimodatiin for a month thrown in as well. Good luck with your interview
That sounds like an awesome deal. I would really like the flights thrown in aswell so if I do get an offer and they seem keen i'll maybe try and push them a little on it. I have read people getting annual flights to return home for a couple of weeks a year aswell. They would provide the accomodation so thats one thing sorted. Removal costs wouldnt really be an issue for me as I still live with my parents:).

Have you been to perth before? would you recommend it? Im from scotland so weather would be a major difference!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Paddy M and Suzie

Thanks for interesting information. My husband is a mechanical engineer building services and is about to look for roles in Australia. I wanted to know what engineer you are and how you found your role? Is there any agencies you recommend or did u contact companies direct. We have PR so just looking for a relocation from the UK. The salaries look good. Is that what the role was advertised at. Sorry lots of questions but don't know were to start.

Thanks
Carlyn

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Paddyn,

1. Perth accommodation is very expensive compare to the rest of the country and you will have less choice to choose. Expected to pay 15-25% more weekly rental.

2. The weather is unbelievable hot in summer. Summer is Asia is humid hot is nice, whereas Perth simply very dry hot hot hot. Summer can be a terrible time for you especially from the Europe.

3. If you have kids, Perth offers more activities at a very discount price compare to Sydney & Melbourne.

4. I find the beaches are more cleaner. People seen to have a very good sense of community and you will be welcome to be part.

Good luck
Marian

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been searching vacancies from recruitment companies on Seek etc, yes that is what the role is advertised at.
I am a Rail Civil Engineer and the job I am going for is surveying.

I would imagine anywhere for me would be hot hot as I am from Scotland:(.

What sort of salary is regarded good in terms of affording housing car and everyday bills etc.?

thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi

I have a girlfriend works as mining engineer earns close to 190k. It sounds a lot but after tax is not that much. Eg Medicare levies, carbon tax soon on 1st July, flood levies, fire levies,....you name it and Julia Gillard will have it.

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.aspx?doc=/content/12333.htm

One bedroom decent size in nice sub is about $480-$540. If an unit slightly outer area then about $450. Electric & Gas bills are more expensive in Australia but the most rip-off is the Internet & mobile charge ( regardless prepaid or not Amaysim, Telsta, Optus or Vodofone) .

For 2 people is alright on 140k but if you are planning to start a family soon... Might need to budget carefully.

Good luck

:)

G

·
They have to pay pension of 9% in addition! If you're looking for a good deal it would be if they were offering more than 9%

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm a geological engineer with a focus on mining geology. I am looking at a job with roughly the same pay scale as you, but I'll be coming from Canada. I'll be watching your thread and see how your negotiations go! I'll be grilled in interviews in about 4 weeks ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi

We are moving to perth in the end of june with my husbands job (oil and gas project manager) I will look to get a job when we are settled. We are on 457 visas supplied through his company, he will be on a similar salary to mentioned. Our package is as follows ; hire car for first month, disturbance alllowance approx $4k, relocation costs i.e. sea frieght and small air frieght, three month assisted living costs ($600 a week), flights for us both one way. We tried for extra flight allowance for us to either go back to the uk or bring people out however that was a no for us. I feel we have done pretty well but you always want more.

I have been looking long and hard at all the posts here and the properties up for rent and feel we would probably be looking at 2+ bedrooms at probably $600 - $800 a week, I think we would get a great looking house for that but obviously difficult to know whats good as unfamiliar at this point with areas. Does this sound about right?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just an update on my situation guys. Had my interview at 1am this morning for about an hour. I am being processed for a 2nd more technical interview and they would be looking to have my out ther by august. Benefits where not discussed as I was only asked my salary expectation which I quickly shrugged off as I don't want to sell myself short so they will make me a proposal should I succeed 2nd interview and I will take it from there.

All sounds very positive tho mon-fri job no FIFo or that so all good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.