Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I've been in France since last October 2011 under a Competence et Talents visa, given in the field of Media and Communication (video production, website creation, design).

Here's my question:

One of my French clients for whom I've done some media work has offered me a salaried position. But I'm not sure if my status allows me to take a salaried position. As mentioned, my visa is in the field of media and communication, which is what the salaried position will be, so it's within the scope of my activity. But I'm not sure how to find a firm answer.

I've looked at the various websites of different French consulates, but their CetT sections are all quite vague. My local prefecture didn't seem like they had seen many (if any) CetT visa holders before when I went in to apply for my Carte de Séjour, so I'm not sure they will be a definitive source of information/advice. Plus they're always so insanely busy with droves of foreigners when I go there, that they don't really have time to give more than a short answer and move on to the next person in line.

I would be grateful if anyone could point me in a direction to find an answer.

Even being a holder of a Competence and Talent visa, there's this air of mystery around the program. I'm not completely sure of what I can and can't do with it!

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
49,984 Posts
If a salaried position is part of your "project" then fine, you should include it in the project and you'll be good to go. Just make sure that your potential employer isn't trying to get out of doing the hard part (i.e. of getting the approval to hire a foreigner). If he wants to offer you a salaried position, he really should get approval from the Ministere du Travail and sponsor you for a work visa.

If you go for the C et T visa, you need to propose some sort of a project whereby hiring you is a benefit to France and or Franco-US relations.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bev,

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer. Would it be possible to re-read my original post? In my case, I actually already have a visa CetT and am currently living in France.

Thanks again!

·
Administrator
49,984 Posts
What does your carte de séjour say? Normally, as long as it says you can accept a job "anywhere in France" it should be ok.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
29 Posts
seeking follow-up to your question?

Hi Bev,

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer. Would it be possible to re-read my original post? In my case, I actually already have a visa CetT and am currently living in France.

Thanks again!
Hello Davidcom,

I was curious to find out if you closed the loop on your question because I did not see any more traffic on your question. Did you ever find out if you could take a salaried position with CeT CdS? I am looking into doing the same, the kind of work I will be doing will be linked to the project but I may have to take a salaried position for 1 year to develop the french market competence. This I can easily write into my business plan as a strategy for developing my company in France.

Anyway please if you have any feedback regarding your question it will be great.

Thanks,

Xhosal

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Xhosal,

Unfortunately no, I never did get a definitive answer to my question. Bev commented that she thought that as long as it was related to my visa, it should be ok.

I now have my carte de séjour (took about 11 months after my arrival before it was finally issued!). On the card it says "Toutes activités professionnelles dans le cadre du projet presente".

So that would seem to concur with what Bev says.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello David,

Thank you for your response, 11 months that is a very long time!!! Congratulations!

Well, I am applying for salaried position which relates to my skill set. The best way to find out if this CeT visa allows me to work as a salaried person is to get a job and go through the process and see what I come out with at the end of the process.

In the mean time I am going to see if I can get an immigration lawyer's input and keep the thread posted.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello David,

Thank you for your response, 11 months that is a very long time!!! Congratulations!

Well, I am applying for salaried position which relates to my skill set. The best way to find out if this CeT visa allows me to work as a salaried person is to get a job and go through the process and see what I come out with at the end of the process.

In the mean time I am going to see if I can get an immigration lawyer's input and keep the thread posted.

Thanks so much!
Hi xhosal, just checking in to see if you have any news to share since last Feb. Hope all is going well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Davidcom

Any update on your situation? I might also be in the same situation if I get my CeT, which I am applying for based on a project and then I plan to find a job once I am there. Any input would be much appreciated.

Regards,

P

·
Administrator
49,984 Posts
The safest approach for what you're planning is to integrate finding a job into the body of your project. AFAIK, a CeT visa will allow you to work, but only within the field of your project - and safest if the salaried employment is part and parcel of the project as originally presented.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Davidcom

Any update on your situation? I might also be in the same situation if I get my CeT, which I am applying for based on a project and then I plan to find a job once I am there. Any input would be much appreciated.

Regards,

P
Hello Californian. I agree with Bev's comment above.

I do not have a salaried position at the moment. One of my most recurring clients is, however, considering taking me on with a part time salary. The work pertains to my CeT project, so I'm fairly confident that it won't be a problem. There is always a slight shadow of doubt, as I have yet to find anyone who has actually applied for a renewal of their CeT visa, something I really hope to find before my time is up! (July 2015).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Bev! Well, my project definition and scope is broad enough so that I could be doing what I have mentioned in the project through a salaried job. However, I dont want to mention looking for a job in the project because then they may say why not find one and then apply on that basis. Thats why I dont want to even hint about it.

But from what I have see so far on the forum the card mentions "Toutes activités professionnelles dans le cadre du projet presente".

So I think it should be OK for taking up a job within the scope.

Thanks

C

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Davidcom

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I agree with your comments. And good luck with the job. I think as far as renewal is concerned, it should be fine as long as you are in the scope of the project. And if you get a job, maybe you can use that as a basis to get a visa. Thats how some of my friends who were on student visa got a work visa for three years based on the job contract (I think they call it CDD).

Regards

C

Hello Californian. I agree with Bev's comment above.

I do not have a salaried position at the moment. One of my most recurring clients is, however, considering taking me on with a part time salary. The work pertains to my CeT project, so I'm fairly confident that it won't be a problem. There is always a slight shadow of doubt, as I have yet to find anyone who has actually applied for a renewal of their CeT visa, something I really hope to find before my time is up! (July 2015).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.