Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello expatforum users!

My wife and I have been living in Scotland, UK for around 7 months now having got married here in March. We have been staying with my mother in that time and we had hoped to have gotten out to make our own life but due to extenuating circumstances such as me losing my job and the job market completely crashing here we are now considering a move back to America.

My main question would be what is the likelihood I will get a green card to allow me to work in the U.S? I would have thought I would have more of a chance now that I am married to my wife who is a US citizen? Do we apply before we go over or is it easier to apply once i'm there?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bev!

A bit of a specific question but do you think it would make more sense for me to obtain my drivers license in Britain before moving to the US or after? My parents in law would have no problem sponsoring me as they have good jobs and a home we can stay at for a while.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Thanks Bev!

A bit of a specific question but do you think it would make more sense for me to obtain my drivers license in Britain before moving to the US or after? My parents in law would have no problem sponsoring me as they have good jobs and a home we can stay at for a while.
New York does not allow for the simple exchange of foreign driver's licenses (except Canadian), so there would be no point to getting a UK license first.

Also, driver's licenses are relatively inexpensive in the US as opposed to much of Europe (not certain about the UK in particular) where a first license can often cost upwards of $1,000 when required formal driving school is factored in.

Get a driver license | New York State DMV

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With regards to applying in the US or outside anyone with any experience on that matter?

If we were to apply from within Britain would that speed up or slow down our process?

Again thank you so much for the information, this website is a total goldmine!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
accbgb has already answered your question.

Unless perhaps you now mean can you apply in the UK for a New York license? To which the answer is a resounding 'no'.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I thought maybe he wondered where to apply for the spouse visa. :)

Normally, visas must be applied for in your home country, not the country you wish to visit.

In this case, the OP's wife (a US citizen) needs to apply for his visa but I am not sure where she needs to do this - in the US or in the UK. I do know that the OP cannot come to the US (except on the usual tourist visa waiver) until the spouse visa has been applied for and granted.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I thought maybe he wondered where to apply for the spouse visa. :)
Ah, on re-reading, that seems to be the case.

Normally, visas must be applied for in your home country, not the country you wish to visit.
This is what is generally believed to be the case. But I've often obtained a visa for C in country B, although I'm a national of country A.

My last US visa in my Australian passport was issued in March in Vienna, Austria.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did infact mean applying with regards to the spouse visa! Sorry for my lack of information!

I'm just at a little bit of a loss as to where we would actually send the files to? My brother in law is also getting married in September in New York and if I were to apply, would that mean I would be unable to visit the Country for his wedding? Essentially we were hoping to go to the Country for my Brother in Laws wedding and stay there with the visa, but having gone through this process before I realise that I may be being extremely naive in the whole process.

:noidea:

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Ah, on re-reading, that seems to be the case.

This is what is generally believed to be the case. But I've often obtained a visa for C in country B, although I'm a national of country A.

My last US visa in my Australian passport was issued in March in Vienna, Austria.
None of your visas are family based Green Cards.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
That is so (at the moment). But I was replying to the general situation referred to in one specific comment: "normally visas must be applied for in your home country".

·
Registered
627 Posts
I did infact mean applying with regards to the spouse visa! Sorry for my lack of information!

I'm just at a little bit of a loss as to where we would actually send the files to? My brother in law is also getting married in September in New York and if I were to apply, would that mean I would be unable to visit the Country for his wedding? Essentially we were hoping to go to the Country for my Brother in Laws wedding and stay there with the visa, but having gone through this process before I realise that I may be being extremely naive in the whole process.

:noidea:
I think much of what you need to know can be found in the previously linked website, Bringing Spouses to Live in the United States as Permanent Residents | USCIS

Be sure to review the links at the top-right column as well, in particular this one: "How Do I Help My Relative Become a Permanent Resident? (Guide for U.S. Citizens)" http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/A1en.pdf

1 - 12 of 12 Posts