Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I have a possible job opportunity in Nantes. I know next to nothing about the city and would welcome any general observations. I have one 7 year old son who would be coming with.

Bit of background info. I have lived in France once before, so I'm familiar with the ins and outs, but never with a child. I speak passable french, however I hope to see a vast improvement once I'm immersed. My 7 year old speaks no french. We both have EU citizenship (Italy).

·
Administrator
51,902 Posts
You may want to take a look at this report on education in France: http://eacea.ec.europa.eu/education...urybase/national_summary_sheets/047_FR_EN.pdf

I don't know that much about Nantes, except that it is the center for records for all of us foreigners who have taken French nationality. Based on that, I'm willing to bet that the schools in Nantes must have some facilities for newly arrived foreign students who need help with their French to start out.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
134 Posts
I live a couple of hours south of Nantes, and visit for time to time for restaurants, opera and the like. Your children - and you - will love the Machines de 'Ile, which are Jules Verne-type creations of mechanical elephants and other animals, that are paraded through the streets from time to time (Les Machines de l'Ile). The city is walkable, plus there's an excellent tram service that links the outlying areas. There's also a great art festival in the summer that has installations going down the Loire, and similarly a wonderful classical music festival.

Nantes is just on the edge of Muscadet territory - I was up there yesterday, near Clisson, stocking up for the summer.

Schools I'm afraid I know nothing about. But Nantes is a very livable place.

K

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.