Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

I'm from the USA and finally decided to relocate to Europe this summer! I'm pretty excited, but unsure where to go. The Uk is in my top 5 :)

Carlo

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What visa will you be applying for?
Pardon if I sound ignorant, especially if this topic has been covered a lot. I am only aware of three visas. Tourist, work and university?

(UK) Tourist lasts for 6 months?
Work visa will be quite hard with the economy. (I speak Italian and Spanish fluently, so maybe that could help)
And I'm not sure if I want any more student loan debt :)

Advise?

G

·
Well you wont be relocating on a tourist visa. You will be visiting for a holiday with no work rights or access to services.

As for employment based visas you need a job offer from an employer who is eligible to sponsor for an occupation that is in a skilled and shortage area. What is it you do?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well you wont be relocating on a tourist visa. You will be visiting for a holiday with no work rights or access to services.

As for employment based visas you need a job offer from an employer who is eligible to sponsor for an occupation that is in a skilled and shortage area. What is it you do?
I understood this when I researched it. I am a professional teacher and curriculum developed for online/traditional classrooms. Money isn't the problem, as I work from home. I would only need a Visa to legally stay. I'm also a certified Professional Tennis coach...

As a tourist, and in a desperate situation, I would leave the UK for six months and return. Like Italy for three months then somewhere else for three months. I read it's possible, but never read anyone's personal accounts.

I've looked into teaching English outside of the UK, but they don't want to sponsor a Non-EU person.

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
You can't work on a tourist visa, period. It doesn't matter that you work from home.

Your choices are student, work, spouse or investor or entrepreneur.

A student visa means being accepted to an accredited program and you can work no more than 20 hours in term and of course you will be paying international student fees.

A Tier 2 work visa requires employer sponsorship. Unless your job is on the shortage occupation list, in order to sponsor you they must 1st prove that there is no one in the UK or EU who can fill the position.

If you are in a relationship with a UK citizen and you marry or form a civil partnership, the spouse /civil partnership visa allows you to work.

Investor and entrepreneur visas are for those who have loads of money to either invest in or start a UK company.

That's it.

Are you eligible for any other EU citizenship through grandparents?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can't work on a tourist visa, period. It doesn't matter that you work from home.

Your choices are student, work, spouse or investor or entrepreneur.

A student visa means being accepted to an accredited program and you can work no more than 20 hours in term and of course you will be paying international student fees.

A Tier 2 work visa requires employer sponsorship. Unless your job is on the shortage occupation list, in order to sponsor you they must 1st prove that there is no one in the UK or EU who can fill the position.

If you are in a relationship with a UK citizen and you marry or form a civil partnership, the spouse /civil partnership visa allows you to work.

Investor and entrepreneur visas are for those who have loads of money to either invest in or start a UK company.

That's it.

Are you eligible for any other EU citizenship through grandparents?
Thank you for the response. I knew as much. My profession isn't a high demand, so I believe that's out of the question.

My great grandparents are from Italy, but renounced their citizenship upon arrival. I would've gotten it, if not for that. My other grandmother came from Slovacchia (former Hungary) before WWI. We can not find a birth certificate...

Expatting isn't looking to possible :(

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Teacher certification from a US state can now be changed into QTS (qualified teacher status) to teach in UK state school system, but you still have to qualify for a work visa (Tier 2 General), and only Secondary teaching (High School teaching) in Mathematics, Physics or Chemistry is on the shortage list, so it will be very tough.
If you can afford to do one-year Masters in UK and pass, you are allowed to switch into Tier 2 General if you can find an employer willing to sponsor you on graduate pay (£20,300 I think) even if the job isn't on shortage list.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Teacher certification from a US state can now be changed into QTS (qualified teacher status) to teach in UK state school system, but you still have to qualify for a work visa (Tier 2 General), and only Secondary teaching (High School teaching) in Mathematics, Physics or Chemistry is on the shortage list, so it will be very tough.
If you can afford to do one-year Masters in UK and pass, you are allowed to switch into Tier 2 General if you can find an employer willing to sponsor you on graduate pay (£20,300 I think) even if the job isn't on shortage list.
That's amazing info!!! Thanks so much.

So Tier 2 is Seconday Maths, Pysics or Chemistry.

What kind of masters is switchable into Tier 2? One of the above or a masters in education?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
That's amazing info!!! Thanks so much.

So Tier 2 is Seconday Maths, Pysics or Chemistry.

What kind of masters is switchable into Tier 2? One of the above or a masters in education?

Thanks!
Tier 2 is a work visa. The teaching positions mentioned are on the shortage occupation list which means they don't have to pass the resident market test which means an employer doesn't have to try 1st to find a UK or EU candidate. You still need to find an employer to sponsor you.

You can switch from a Master's Degree to a Tier 2 visa IF you can find an employer to sponsor you. The big issue is if you can find an employer to sponsor you.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Yes it's a bit more complicated for you as an American as others are Commonwealth citizens who can get working holiday visa (now called Tier 5 youth mobility scheme) or often ancestry visa, both of which allow them to work so they don't have to find work first.
What I suggest is once you get your QTS, get in touch with supply agencies (for substitute teaching) which can help find jobs and advise you with visas, such as Time Plan. You need to get your Tier 2 General before arriving in UK.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Just a side note. I'd send in your teaching certificate and transcripts to UKNARIC first to see if your teaching license will transfer for QTS. I was sure mine would but it didn't. I did an alternative route for teaching and my license that I held would not transfer to QTS and now it has expired so I was at a loss with teaching. I'll eventually go for my PGCE later on to get qualified to teach again here in the UK.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Just a side note. I'd send in your teaching certificate and transcripts to UKNARIC first to see if your teaching license will transfer for QTS. I was sure mine would but it didn't. I did an alternative route for teaching and my license that I held would not transfer to QTS and now it has expired so I was at a loss with teaching. I'll eventually go for my PGCE later on to get qualified to teach again here in the UK.
As teaching is graduate profession in UK, you must have at least a bachelor's degree to get QTS, and it would be sensible to get your US degree verified by NARIC, which can be done while you are still in US.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As teaching is graduate profession in UK, you must have at least a bachelor's degree to get QTS, and it would be sensible to get your US degree verified by NARIC, which can be done while you are still in US.
UKNARIC is a work agency? Do they help with Visas and approving of paperwork? I'm researching it, but don't understand 100% of what they do.

So to clarify:

Step 1: Sign up for UKNARIC
Step 2: Have UKNARIC look at my degree and certification to see if it's transferable?
Step 3: If yes, apply for the QTS.
Step 4: If approved, apply to school sdirectly in UK? or Get into a Master's program in a high demand field.

You all are great! Thanks :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes it's a bit more complicated for you as an American as others are Commonwealth citizens who can get working holiday visa (now called Tier 5 youth mobility scheme) or often ancestry visa, both of which allow them to work so they don't have to find work first.
What I suggest is once you get your QTS, get in touch with supply agencies (for substitute teaching) which can help find jobs and advise you with visas, such as Time Plan. You need to get your Tier 2 General before arriving in UK.
Do you mean this TIMEPLAN ? I should contact them and ask about going over to start as a substitute?

·
Registered
533 Posts
mr_quick said:
UKNARIC is a work agency? Do they help with Visas and approving of paperwork? I'm researching it, but don't understand 100% of what they do. So to clarify: Step 1: Sign up for UKNARIC Step 2: Have UKNARIC look at my degree and certification to see if it's transferable? Step 3: If yes, apply for the QTS. Step 4: If approved, apply to school sdirectly in UK? or Get into a Master's program in a high demand field. You all are great! Thanks :)
Yes that's the website. It's an online application. You pay for the statement of comparability to make sure your certificates, degrees, qualifications are comparable to the UK. Send in all you have even your college and high school transcripts, teaching certificate that way you get it all done at once. They only charge you once to compare it all. There is also an overseas number you can call if you need it. You send in originals I believe and they send it all back with a paper telling you what is comparable to the UK. Once you get that then apply for QTS and you can read that thru the QTS and the UK Department of Education at education.gov.uk then search QTS and apply. Applying for QTS will give you the ability to teach in the UK.

·
Registered
533 Posts
mr_quick said:
Do you mean this TIMEPLAN ? I should contact them and ask about going over to start as a substitute?
Time plan is just one of many teaching Agencies. There's Capita Education, Smart Teachers, Reed has a teachers education. Just search UK teaching agencies.
What the agencies will do is first look at your CV(Resume) and you present them with your UKNARIC and show them your QTS if you don't have this then just tell them I don't have this yet just waiting on it. They'll call you or some even skype you to talk about your employment history, education, and what you want to teach. They'll send you a bunch of paper work, one being a CRB forum ( it's UK back ground check) you'll also need to do a FBI criminal back ground check before you come over as they'll need your criminal history in the last 5 years. They'll assist you in which visa you need or can apply for. This route is just to get a job.

If you go the student visa route I'm not sure on this but I think you'll have to sign up with a university that can send you abroad if I'm not mistaken and you'll be paying international fees. I know if money isn't an option and you'd like to get your masters then maybe think about doing this if you can't get a job to sponsor you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Time plan is just one of many teaching Agencies. There's Capita Education, Smart Teachers, Reed has a teachers education. Just search UK teaching agencies.
What the agencies will do is first look at your CV(Resume) and you present them with your UKNARIC and show them your QTS if you don't have this then just tell them I don't have this yet just waiting on it. They'll call you or some even skype you to talk about your employment history, education, and what you want to teach. They'll send you a bunch of paper work, one being a CRB forum ( it's UK back ground check) you'll also need to do a FBI criminal back ground check before you come over as they'll need your criminal history in the last 5 years. They'll assist you in which visa you need or can apply for. This route is just to get a job.

If you go the student visa route I'm not sure on this but I think you'll have to sign up with a university that can send you abroad if I'm not mistaken and you'll be paying international fees. I know if money isn't an option and you'd like to get your masters then maybe think about doing this if you can't get a job to sponsor you.
Such great info! I've contacted them and waiting for a reply. Will keep you all updated.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.