Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

A friend of mine had the following issue

Went to USA as a student in 2004.
He was working off campus in a store, which was not legal and accidentally sold a cigarette to a minor. The Tobacco & alcohol beverage commission arrested him and booked a misdemeanour case for the same. This info got to the immigration and another case was booked for violating immigration laws. He pleaded guilty before the judge and was granted a "voluntary departure" to leave USA within 4 months. He left USA within the given period by end of 2006 and never went again.

Applied for student visa twice in 2007 and they rejected it. And his prior visa was stamped as "cancelled without prejudice"

Now, almost 11 years later he is planning for PR in australia and ordered a background check from FBI and it said the following

Arrested for misdemeanour - selling tobacco to minor.
Deported for violating immigration laws.

Now, he wasn't aware that he would be labelled "deported" if he left USA voluntarily.

What chance does he stand for getting a PR, He has all the points required.

Does he have to mention all the above history as it happens more than 10 years ago?

Will the Australian government know if this is not mentioned? Because he has a new passport(old one expired).

What are my best options to settle in australia.

·
Registered
23,877 Posts

He was working off campus in a store, which was not legal and accidentally sold a cigarette to a minor. The Tobacco & alcohol beverage commission arrested him and booked a misdemeanour case for the same. This info got to the immigration and another case was booked for violating immigration laws. He pleaded guilty before the judge and was granted a "voluntary departure" to leave USA within 4 months. He left USA within the given period by end of 2006 and never went again.

Applied for student visa twice in 2007 and they rejected it. And his prior visa was stamped as "cancelled without prejudice"

Now, almost 11 years later he is planning for PR in australia and ordered a background check from FBI and it said the following

Now, he wasn't aware that he would be labelled "deported" if he left USA voluntarily.

Does he have to mention all the above history as it happens more than 10 years ago?

Will the Australian government know if this is not mentioned? Because he has a new passport(old one expired).

Best to consult a MARA agent if your friend is serious

They would know how to overcome these hurdles if at all possible

Cheers

·
Registered
458 Posts

Only immigration lawyers are able to analyse these...

If you are looking for one, I suggest Mark Northam from MNVisa .. Had a wonderful session with him...

G

·
Is that friend is you as u admitted in last question ' what are your chances to settle in Australia? Unfortunately, your chances are very slim as you have been deported due to criminal offense . Australia takes medical and character very seriously. However, not all is lost, better consult with MARA as they will guide you better and maybe able to assist you in getting PR.

·
Registered
83 Posts

The silver lining here is you are asked to account for last 10 years of your address. However, there can still be further verification and intelligence sharing that various countries perform among each other. So in a way not sharing a critical information related to immigration earlier can be treated seriously. Also I think there are questions where you have to answer if you were deported from another country, so in some way you cannot avoid your history.
Hence talking with a lawyer gives you the best chance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
In australian pr if i am not wronf in the form we have to Last 10 year travel history And pcc where we have stayed more than an year. I guess its been more than 11 years and with this you are not bound to show any thing related to us. Also do not mention any degree/ certificate awarded at that period of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
In australian pr if i am not wronf in the form we have to Last 10 year travel history And pcc where we have stayed more than an year. I guess its been more than 11 years and with this you are not bound to show any thing related to us. Also do not mention any degree/ certificate awarded at that period of time.

And what wise advice do you have for "Have you been convicted of an offence in any country (ever)?" and "Have you (ever) been removed, deported or excluded from any country (including Australia)?"

·
Registered
29 Posts
And what wise advice do you have for "Have you been convicted of an offence in any country (ever)?" and "Have you (ever) been removed, deported or excluded from any country (including Australia)?"

Oh! I missed that point then. So, bit difficult then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts