Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -
Thank goodness a forum like this exists. I was approved for a skill via VETASSESS on June 22, then the new skill list was released July 1 and my skill was removed from all lists. I'm distraught. I have so many questions about it including: is there any recourse anyone knows of to get my money back since I was positively assessed and then it didn't matter anymore just days later? My guess is no since VETASSESS has no authority over the skills list Australia releases. It just seems so messed up and wrong. I am going to apply for another skill thats basically the same thing but it means I will likely have to send an EOI for the 190 or 186 Visa instead of the 189 - I was really hoping for the 189 visa. Trying to talk myself off the ledge here. A bad day, indeed.

Thanks for any thoughts or help you might be able to provide.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Hi all -
Thank goodness a forum like this exists. I was approved for a skill via VETASSESS on June 22, then the new skill list was released July 1 and my skill was removed from all lists. I'm distraught. I have so many questions about it including: is there any recourse anyone knows of to get my money back since I was positively assessed and then it didn't matter anymore just days later? My guess is no since VETASSESS has no authority over the skills list Australia releases. It just seems so messed up and wrong. I am going to apply for another skill thats basically the same thing but it means I will likely have to send an EOI for the 190 or 186 Visa instead of the 189 - I was really hoping for the 189 visa. Trying to talk myself off the ledge here. A bad day, indeed.

Thanks for any thoughts or help you might be able to provide.
I have good news and bad news. Orq rather, I have a positive thought to accompany a negative assumption :)

First the bad stuff. The money for the assessment is, I'm afraid, spent. Seems awfully unfair, but as you say I don't think VETASSESS knew anything about the skill being removed. Just one of those things.

Onto the positives. There really is little difference between 189 and 190. The requirement to stay in one state for 2 years really isn't such a burden. Look at it this way. Your chance of getting a job offshore are low. So you will need to make a call on living somewhere before you head over. Australia is a big place. Moving from the other side of the planet, then hopping from state to state is going to be very tough. You're going to have local things set up, like drivers licenses, a place to live, schools, etc. So, chances are you're going to have a base of operations for at least the first 2-4 years, and won't use the "freedom" the 189 supposedly grants anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for your reply. I see your point for sure. When you say getting s job offshore is not likely to happen to you mean finding a job in Australia in general? I'm terrified right now of the whole process. I was feeling OK and then this happens today. The thing I liked with the 189 visa was that I could kind of be in charge of myself and find a job on my own but it sounds like the 190 I have to wait to see if someone will nominate me? Do you know what it means exactly to be nominated? Does that just mean the state says I can work in it with that particular skill or is there some sort of opportunity for job placement? I've been researching all day and am unclear. I don't mind so much picking a place and staying for two years, it's that I'm afraid I'm more under someone's thumb with the 190 (if I even get it). Does that make sense? Maybe I'm incorrect. Thank you again for your reply!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Thanks so much for your reply. I see your point for sure. When you say getting s job offshore is not likely to happen to you mean finding a job in Australia in general? I'm terrified right now of the whole process. I was feeling OK and then this happens today. The thing I liked with the 189 visa was that I could kind of be in charge of myself and find a job on my own but it sounds like the 190 I have to wait to see if someone will nominate me? Do you know what it means exactly to be nominated? Does that just mean the state says I can work in it with that particular skill or is there some sort of opportunity for job placement? I've been researching all day and am unclear. I don't mind so much picking a place and staying for two years, it's that I'm afraid I'm more under someone's thumb with the 190 (if I even get it). Does that make sense? Maybe I'm incorrect. Thank you again for your reply!
OK, my understanding. (Not an expert). The idea of the 190 is that states can select skills in demand in their area and nominate applicants for a visa. Once nominated you can apply for the visa; no need to wait. If the skills are already eligible for 189, it means people with 55 points have a chance as they get 5 points from the state; if not, it also means those ineligible for a 189 still have route to a visa (your case, I think). As to what it means wrt to the visa: it means you'll need to apply to the state for nomination, and they have to agree to nominate. The procedure varies per state/territory. Once/if you get the visa, aside from the agreement you make to live in the state for two years and fill out surveys, you have no other obligations. Your visa is materially no different to a 189. There's no help getting a job, but no restriction either. You're a permanent resident. Have a look at the READ FIRST sticky.

Reactions: southafricanstooz

·
Registered
13 Posts
You should contact a MARA migration agent who can tell you exactly (in layman terms) what visa to apply for and its conditions before you waste more time and money. https://www.mara.gov.au/
I'm no expert, but with right advice I'm sure we will see you here in no time. Even with all the changes the government is making to the visas the fact is Australia NEEDS migrants.
Good luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
OK, my understanding. (Not an expert). The idea of the 190 is that states can select skills in demand in their area and nominate applicants for a visa. Once nominated you can apply for the visa; no need to wait. If the skills are already eligible for 189, it means people with 55 points have a chance as they get 5 points from the state; if not, it also means those ineligible for a 189 still have route to a visa (your case, I think). As to what it means wrt to the visa: it means you'll need to apply to the state for nomination, and they have to agree to nominate. The procedure varies per state/territory. Once/if you get the visa, aside from the agreement you make to live in the state for two years and fill out surveys, you have no other obligations. Your visa is materially no different to a 189. There's no help getting a job, but no restriction either. You're a permanent resident. Have a look at the READ FIRST sticky.
Hi
I am unsure why you are worried so much going for 190. Even if u go for 189 then also you have to search job by your own. the only restriction in 190 is that you have to stay in nominated state for two years and work there. After that you can move to wherever in aus you want to. Dont waste your time thinking too much..there are people who are even ready for 489..if u want to wait and apply for 189..then dnt worry Vetassess is valid for next three years
Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you! At this point with the new skill I will have assessed (and hopefully approved) I would not qualify for the 189 but for the 190. I think what I'm worried most about is being nominated. It doesn't look like my skill is listed in the state of Vic, which is where I'd like to go. I don't mind agreeing to live there for two years; I'm more concerned I just won't get nominated. Does anyone know if you could still get nominated even if your skill isn't on the state's list of skills?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much for the help with all my questions. If my positively assessed skill was removed off the list after I was approved for said skill, could I still, in theory, get a job in Australia with that skill? So I was positively assessed to be a psychotherapist in Australia but that occupation was then removed from the list. Could I still work as a psychotherapist since it was approved through VETASSESS? Does that make sense? If I don't get nominated through the 189, is there any obvious reason why I wouldn't try for a 186 instead? Is there anything more negative (or more positive) about employer sponsored? Also, to be nominated it sounds like these are jobs that cannot be filled by aussie citizens or PR folks, are these jobs bottom of the barrel?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts