Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K! This might sound stupid but I have to ask.

Since moving to Portugal I have enjoyed sampling all the beautiful cheeses they have to offer.

The only problem is that I don't seem to be able to cut the outer wax off without wasting lots of cheese. Sometimes by the time I have cut the wax off, it looks about half the size.

Is there a knack to doing this without wasting cheese?

·
Registered
207 Posts
O.K! This might sound stupid but I have to ask.

Since moving to Portugal I have enjoyed sampling all the beautiful cheeses they have to offer.

The only problem is that I don't seem to be able to cut the outer wax off without wasting lots of cheese. Sometimes by the time I have cut the wax off, it looks about half the size.

Is there a knack to doing this without wasting cheese?
Use a potato peeler ;)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Much as I agree on the cheddar front, I did find a local cheese which can't get enough of: Queijo Paiva - Mistra de Lamego :) Sheep, goat and cow milk cheese. Brilliant! :)

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Much as I agree on the cheddar front, I did find a local cheese which can't get enough of: Queijo Paiva - Mistra de Lamego :) Sheep, goat and cow milk cheese. Brilliant! :)
Any of the three milks cheeses are good, although there are a few that are exceptional. If you are near the coast around Ericeira, there is one with a green label and a picture of a cow, sheep and goat that is excellent or was back in 1997 (hence I can't remember the name.)

·
Registered
66 Posts
cheese

We buy cheddar cheese from Lidl in Pombal but we've also found a good cheese that is more like a very mature cheddar called Queijo Sao Jorge and have bought that in Mini Preco, you can also grate it and it doesn't have a thick skin on it either and is a reasonable price as I've found cheese here in Portugal can be quite expensive.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
We buy cheddar cheese from Lidl in Pombal but we've also found a good cheese that is more like a very mature cheddar called Queijo Sao Jorge and have bought that in Mini Preco, you can also grate it and it doesn't have a thick skin on it either and is a reasonable price as I've found cheese here in Portugal can be quite expensive.
The latest batch of cheddar in Lidl seems more like that French crap - a texture like rubber and tastes about the same.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the cheese advice everyone. We do occasionally treat ourselves to some cheddar from Lidl. Haven't had chance to check out the potato peeler method yet but will definitely be checking out the ones you have recommended.. Thanks.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I can seccond the Quijo Sao Joege - love it - always have a block in the fridge! :)

The shop in Avalar sells English cheddar. Toany's is it? :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts