Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, just wondering about the winters in Algarve area..do most restaurants and bars shut down? i know Jan/feb can be quite cool but where i live (ottawa, canada) it's super cold, Is there enough to do Jan-April? What's the best type of rentals for 3/4 months. Still not completely sold on Portugal so your experiences would help, thanks, Foreman

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,
I lived more than 20 years at the Algarve and have seen all kind of different weather during the time between Jan-April. Some time it is nice, if busy area , gets more quit.Albufeira is a big bussy place in the summer, but in the winter time there are more retired people and some hotels are offer dancing evenings, where also non hotel guest are wellcome and bars are still open .If you are lucky and have not to much of non stop rain days , it is very enjoyable to sit at the beach and read a book,getting sun, doing land inside tours ctr. If it rains cats and dogs :), you should be prepared for it and have some stuff with you witch you need for raining days, or what you like to do while you beeing inside 1 or 2 days .Electric heating / aircondiction is the most usally use in the Algarve .Some nice renovated cottage have fireplace ( and should have wood outside covert under a roof!) Problem is than mostly ..that cloth get not dry if you have not well sealed apartment, lots suff get dump and do not dry ..so try to watch this out !! check out if a dryer for cloth is either in the house or a laundry close by / self laundry where you can at least use the dryer once a while:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
from Canada

thank you very much for our reply.. the weather can be quite different from year to year ..cold days and rainy days and some very nice days. In Canada, this past winter, it was bitterly cold!!! (-25 to -35C for most of Feb.) I guess Portugal will be better. PC

·
Registered
4 Posts
I plan to spend 10-14 days in this area end of January. Can I get around OK with public transportation or would I need to rent a car. I'm retired solo traveler checking out Portugal.
Love your suggestion of reading on the beach. I hope I have some sunny days when there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts