Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello seekers of better life.

After experimenting Spain for a bit over a year between 2007 and 2008, (now inthe UK) my hubby, 4 years daughter and I are now ready to move again!

The situation is as follows:

I love France! But I admit I only know it when on holidays, but I love the emotions I feel when there. It is special. But again, I know living in one country is one thing and holiday is something else (I dislike Spain even for holidays)

Anyway, my husband favour Portugal in a big way for several reasons. One, it is a bit cheaper than France and second, I do fluently speak Spanish which is very similar to Portuguese.

I have spent about three hours this morning searching for expats living in Portugal and lots of Brits seems happy living there, but still I'm not convinced Portugal wouldn't be much different than Spain.

Anyway, the other big thing my husband keep talking about Portugal is the fact that they are a bit more flexible with self employed people. We have a Danish friend living in France for many, many years now and he has virtually beg us not to move to France unless we are millionaires (apparently only very rich people can be left alone).

Our Danish friend has told us that its a nightmare to set up a business in France..they (authorities will eat you up alive in taxes) and the bureaucracy is beyond reason.

We have our business online (selling goods and creating websites and helping small business how to understand the online world) We dont make lots of money, but just enough to live without extreme worries.

So....how is France really in regard to self employment?

Please, please, advice me. I want to make the right decision this time. WE cant afford to go wrong again. We just can't.

Much love to all

Desperado

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
We were going to move to France, but chose Spain in the end. I know what you mean about France, I love it too and my best friend and her husband retired over there and their life is perfect (I'm not at all jealous !!!!!)!, But when we looked seriously into it, yes setting up a business there seemed almost impossible (lots of hurdles and paperwork and costs), it wasnt cheap and we also got the feeling that the French look after their own (quite rightly IMO) and if there was a choice between employing or helping a Brit or a French person then the French person would win everytime!

Anyway as I said we chose Spain and I love it here too, altho my Spanish is limited and I used to be pretty much flunet in French - I still wonder.....

I know very little about Portugal other than its financially not in a very good place, I believe its cheaper than France and maybe a little less cosmopolitan???? So maybe in your situation thats the one to go for??????? I guess you need to visit Portugal and see if you get that "feel"!!??? I suspect you wont, but I dont know you LOL!! - and maybe if it is alot cheaper you may well learn to love it?????????

Jo xxx

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We were going to move to France, but chose Spain in the end. I know what you mean about France, I love it too and my best friend and her husband retired over there and their life is perfect (I'm not at all jealous !!!!!)!, But when we looked seriously into it, yes setting up a business there seemed almost impossible (lots of hurdles and paperwork and costs), it wasnt cheap and we also got the feeling that the French look after their own (quite rightly IMO) and if there was a choice between employing or helping a Brit or a French person then the French person would win everytime!

Anyway as I said we chose Spain and I love it here too, altho my Spanish is limited and I used to be pretty much flunet in French - I still wonder.....

I know very little about Portugal other than its financially not in a very good place, I believe its cheaper than France and maybe a little less cosmopolitan???? So maybe in your situation thats the one to go for??????? I guess you need to visit Portugal and see if you get that "feel"!!??? I suspect you wont, but I dont know you LOL!! - and maybe if it is alot cheaper you may well learn to love it?????????

Jo xxx

Thanks Jojo for your kind and prompt reply. I do appreciate it.

I think my fears are coming true. I think our Danish friend is right (shame:mad:)

I heard that it is impossible to get away not declaring a business in France, not that we want to, but it is a shame they put so much hurdle to people who wants to register a business there.

I most admit that I dont envy you moving to Spain (have strong dislike of the culture -- I'm Hispanic and maybe this is the reason). But I met many Brits well settled there and happy with the new way of life they got. I wish you all the best of luck.

(Speaking the native language give you a good indication of the true reality of a country)

Desperado

·
Administrator
49,870 Posts
There's an expression here in France that seems to apply to your Danish friend: "tu exageres" - it doesn't quite mean "you're exaggerating" but there's definitely that element to it.

In the last year or two, the French have come up with this highly simplified "auto-entrepreneur" statue, that lots of people here swear by. (Being an accountant by training, I have a number of trepidations about it from a business perspective - but it is simple.) However, none of all that does you any good if you don't have a fair to decent command of the French language. The French don't translate much of anything when it comes to paperwork.

There is also a very different attitude in France toward business that takes a while to "get" if you're a foreigner. We've had our business running here for nearly 15 years now, and it all seems quite logical and rational to me - though at the beginning I was completely floored by it all. (There have been a number of simplifications in procedures during that time.)

But much of it hangs on the language. If you don't have a reasonable command of the French language, I'd opt for Portugal where (from what I've heard) the folks are a bit more forgiving on lots of different levels. But first make some exploratory trips to check out some of the details and see how you fare dealing with the local bureaucracy.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.