Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pound sterling was worth €1.40 a few days ago. It fell to €1.37 yesterday and €1.35 this morning.

Whatever you think of their political policies, the world's money men don't trust Labour to handle the economy. Expect more falls as the election approaches.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
huh, when we lived in Spain it was pretty much parity 1€ = £1, which didnt help. Lets hope those days have gone

Jo xxx

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I wondered if that was the reason for the fall.

Traders way of influencing the election result?

I think it will end up being more of the same i.e. Con Libs coalition

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I certainly hope it is not a Labour SNP coalition. The SNP could be poison for England if they gain a lot of seats in this election., as expected they will.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
The pound sterling was worth €1.40 a few days ago. It fell to €1.37 yesterday and €1.35 this morning.

Whatever you think of their political policies, the world's money men don't trust Labour to handle the economy. Expect more falls as the election approaches.
EUR-GBP has been up and down between €1.34 and €1.42 for a few weeks now so Friday's drop is nothing to worry about just yet and seeing as the election is next Thursday it's really nothing unexpected.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Manufacturing is still in expansion though as it's over 50. The stock market is up this week. Always unstable before an election but not long to go now. Problem is there may not be a definitive result. An article in the Times yesterday said it could probably be already decided as there has been massive postal voting in marginals. Hmmmm:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Still, growth in the economy halves and the manufacturing sector has it's biggest drop for years and somehow it's Labours fault?
Load of bollocks if you ask me, but nobody did. :D

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
huh, when we lived in Spain it was pretty much parity 1€ = £1, which didnt help. Lets hope those days have gone

Jo xxx
Really? it has only ever been down to €1.02 on one occasion for less than a day and that was in January 2009

·
Registered
22,341 Posts
Still, growth in the economy halves and the manufacturing sector has it's biggest drop for years and somehow it's Labours fault?
Load of bollocks if you ask me, but nobody did. :D
Well, I like your answer:)

There are many reasons for the drop....worries about Britain's future in the EU if the Tories win (business doesn't want a Brexit) the poor economic figures and the demoting of the idiot Greek Finance Minister Varoufakis in favour of someone more grown-up to head the Troika negotations.

Personally, I think that if Nicola Sturgeon were Labour Leader Labour would walk the election. As for all the nonsense about 'England being ruled from Scotland' - well, disregarding the fact that for decades Scots have been ruled from England, what about all the 'one united kingdom 'talk we heard from the No campaign? And aren't the Tories expecting to be propped up by Northern Ireland MPs when fishing around for coalition partners?

The Tories deserve to lose. Their campaign has been poisonous, negative...very Lynton Crosby. Even more decent Tories have been repelled by some of the venom.
Fact is, neither of the main Parties seems set to win an outright majority and the SNP will be kingmakers whatever.

Anyone who thinks Nicola Sturgeon is poised at the border with an army of painted Picts behind her waiting to swoop down on London and lay it to waste needs to lie down in a darkened room. She isn't even standing for the UK Parliament, ffs, a fact which seems to have escaped some folks' notice.

The bookies, who know these things, see to think Labour will be the largest party by a whisker. Lord Ashcroft's polls in the margins don't look good for the Tories.
Good. Perhaps we'll see the UK being governed for all and not just the wealthy minority.

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
Everything I've read in the financial press indicates that it's the strong likelihood of no party winning an overall majority which is having a downward effect on sterling, as the markets hate uncertainty more than anything. Whilst some may perceive Labour to be more anti-business than the Conservatives, on the oher hand the markets don't much like the thought of a more prolonged period of uncertainty about Britain's membership of the EU should the Conservatives win and fulfill their election pledge of holdiing an in/out referendum.

As others have said, having €1.35 to the pound as it reached yesterday is far better than what we've experienced during the last 7 years. It was €1.40 when we moved in late 2006 and was pretty much all downhill from there, so this feels just great, thank you very much.:)

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
7Anyone who thinks Nicola Sturgeon is poised at the border with an army of painted Picts behind her waiting to swoop down on London and lay it to waste needs to lie down in a darkened room.
Damn that was the last hope we had of having someone sensible and not from the school of upper class twits to take charge. Now if YOU were to stand...

1 - 20 of 141 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.