Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I am currently living in nz and thinking about applying for Australia work visa. I know that I will have to get a police certificate from any country in which I have lived more than 12 months for the past 10 years. I lived in the US for 7 years and in nz for 3 years. I have travelled back to my own country, say one month in total every year. Do I still need to get a police certificate from my own county, though I have just visited for a couple of weeks or so to see my family every year? Wouldn't this be considered as "visiting", not "living?"

Thanks!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hi!

I am currently living in nz and thinking about applying for Australia work visa. I know that I will have to get a police certificate from any country in which I have lived more than 12 months for the past 10 years. I lived in the US for 7 years and in nz for 3 years. I have travelled back to my own country, say one month in total every year. Do I still need to get a police certificate from my own county, though I have just visited for a couple of weeks or so to see my family every year? Wouldn't this be considered as "visiting", not "living?"

Thanks!
From link: Character and police certificate requirements
For the Australian Government to determine whether you are of good character, you might be asked to provide police certificates for each country you have lived in for 12 months or more, over the last 10 years, since turning 16 years of age.

If in last 10 years, your total stay in own country is 12 months or more, then yes you would need a police clearance from that country.

·
Registered
29 Posts
australian Police clearance

hi i got a only one offence of stealing in my australian police clearance...( i had eaten a few chocolates and put some in my bag from a store) for which i got a spent conviction and community service ...

Will this impact much on PR

·
Registered
417 Posts
hi i got a only one offence of stealing in my australian police clearance...( i had eaten a few chocolates and put some in my bag from a store) for which i got a spent conviction and community service ...

Will this impact much on PR
Did you serve any jail time? You might require a professional submission along with your PR application addressing the conviction and that you pass the character test. the assessing officer will quite likely request for additional information.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Did you serve any jail time? You might require a professional submission along with your PR application addressing the conviction and that you pass the character test. the assessing officer will quite likely request for additional information.
i have applied for 189 visa and while in australia, i once ate a few chocolates and put a few in my bag from target store. i got a fine 300 dollar fine which i paid and 30 odd hours of community service ...i was told its a spent conviction ...but its showing up in police clearance. i would like to know if its going to be an issue or something that case officers excuse

no i did not have jail term

·
Registered
417 Posts
i have applied for 189 visa and while in australia, i once ate a few chocolates and put a few in my bag from target store. i got a fine 300 dollar fine which i paid and 30 odd hours of community service ...i was told its a spent conviction ...but its showing up in police clearance. i would like to know if its going to be an issue or something that case officers excuse

no i did not have jail term
Details are sketchy and those documents can't be uploaded here (privacy reasons etc). If it shows up in the police clearance you should ideally a submit a letter addressing the applicable Public Interest Criteria and substantiating that you meet the requirements of the character test. You can try submitting the application without this but the CO might not directly approve the application or might keep requesting additional information - something hard to predict. It's best to address the issues upfront in such scenarios.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts