Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I have a few queries regarding the Points Test, I would be grateful if you can assist me regarding this.

I currently have 55 points in the Points Test i.e

Age- 30 points
Qualification- 15 points
English Language ability IELTS- 10 points

Case 1:

My occupation is listed in the skilled occupation list of most of the states in Australia, with high priority in few of the states. If I lodge an Expression of Interest for Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190), I will be given 5 points for the state sponsorship, which takes my total points to 60. Hence, I will be eligible to apply for this VISA.

With the current processing time for this visa being 6 months, can I expect to be invited to apply provided I meet all the requirements? If so, can I expect to be issued with this visa earlier than 6 months or do I need to wait longer than 6 months?

Case 2:

I have completed my Master’s degree in a mining related engineering field from a Recognised Australian University. However, this course was an 18 month (78 weeks) program located in a regional area. Since I do not meet the Australian Study Requirement (two year study), I cannot claim 5 points for either Australian study or 5 points for Regional study.

Having said that, will I be eligible to claim 5 points for Australian study, if I undertake a 6 month (26 week) Cricos registered course (Cert IV) in Project Management or Occupation health safety. Will I meet the Australian Study requirement? Furthermore, will I be eligible to claim 5 points for regional study, if I complete this study in a regional place?

Assuming that I get the above mentioned points, my total points tally would be 70, I will be eligible for Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190) and Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa. What are your views on this? Do you think I would be in better position than Case 1?

Finally, how long does it normally take to be invited, after filing an Expression of Interest?

Kindly let me know your thoughts about this, whether I can claim the points mentioned above. Your help is much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Cheers!:amen:

G

·
Cert IV wont help you. It needs to be a diploma or higher.

Have you actually sat ielts yet?

If you can get the ielts score applying fir stste sponsorship would probably be best.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cert IV wont help you. It needs to be a diploma or higher.

Have you actually sat ielts yet?

If you can get the ielts score applying fir stste sponsorship would probably be best.
Hello Shel,

Thanks for the input. Yes I have given IELTS and I have above 7 in each section and I am baffled to choose between 189 and 190.

According to immi website Australian Study Requirement is defined as "You can receive five points if you have completed one or more degrees, diplomas or trade qualifications for award through a course or courses taken at an Australian educational institution."

Are you implying that Cert IV is not considered as a suitable qualification? However, what if I do a 20 odd week diploma in project management or frontline management (Cricos registered course), will I be eligible to claim points for the Australian study?

Kindly note, I won't be applying for 485 Graduate Visa or Post study work visa for graduates.

I was wondering whether more points in the points test will make my position stronger.

Cheers

G

·
Cert IV is the level below a diploma so no it wont count unless it qualifies you in a trade. Dont know where you will find a 20 week diploma.

Just apply for state sponsorship and then for a 190 with 60 points. With state sponsorship you will be invited pretty quickly with 60 points.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cert IV is the level below a diploma so no it wont count unless it qualifies you in a trade. Dont know where you will find a 20 week diploma.

Just apply for state sponsorship and then for a 190 with 60 points. With state sponsorship you will be invited pretty quickly with 60 points.

Hello Shel,

Many thanks for the clarification. I did find a 20+ week diploma course in http: // cricos. deewr. gov. au/ Course/ CourseSearch. aspx

Yes the state sponsorship looks much more easier. I will be considering this option.

How long will Vetassess take to assess my skills? Is it a tedious process?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Hello Shel,

Many thanks for the clarification. I did find a 20+ week diploma course in http: // cricos. deewr. gov. au/ Course/ CourseSearch. aspx

Yes the state sponsorship looks much more easier. I will be considering this option.

How long will Vetassess take to assess my skills? Is it a tedious process?

Cheers
VETASSESS website says it takes 8-10 weeks for skill assessments. In my case it took 16 weeks. :(
GSM / ENS / RSMS / Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) / State or Territory Sponsored visa:
If you apply for a skills assessment to SRGO, the approximate time for assessment is 8-10 weeks once all documents required for assessment have been received by VETASSESS. Some cases may take longer depending on the complexity level of the case.
Frequently asked questions (General professional occupation) - VETASSESS

·
Registered
78 Posts
With the current processing time for this visa being 6 months, can I expect to be invited to apply provided I meet all the requirements? If so, can I expect to be issued with this visa earlier than 6 months or do I need to wait longer than 6 months?

:
Agree with the advise to go for 190..

If you have not done the Vetassess part yet your time line to get a PR visa supposing all the required documents are ready (PCC, transcripts,.....) would be:

12-14 weeks for assessment
2-4 weeks for state sponsorship
8-10 weeks for the visa processing (as onshore applicant)...

So the whole process as an onshore applicant if your case is clear and decent would take between 5-7 months.

All the best

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
VETASSESS website says it takes 8-10 weeks for skill assessments. In my case it took 16 weeks. :(

So it takes nearly 3 months to get your skills assessed, further it takes 6 months for processing the visa. Hence, I was wondering to do a 6 months diploma course while waiting for this process to complete. Do you think its wise?

Thanks for your time.

Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agree with the advise to go for 190..

If you have not done the Vetassess part yet your time line to get a PR visa supposing all the required documents are ready (PCC, transcripts,.....) would be:

12-14 weeks for assessment
2-4 weeks for state sponsorship
8-10 weeks for the visa processing (as onshore applicant)...

So the whole process as an onshore applicant if your case is clear and decent would take between 5-7 months.

All the best
Hello Mohkam,

Many thanks for your input. Yes I am realising the timeline required is a bit longer.

Will I be able to lodge an EOI(offshore or onshore) while on a student visa? Is it a pre-requisite to have an offer of employment if I am applying for 190 from onshore?

Furthermore, will the timeline be different if I am applying for assessment, state sponsorship and the visa from offshore?

Thanks for your time.

Cheers!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Answers to you questions in RED

Hello Mohkam,

Many thanks for your input. Yes I am realising the timeline required is a bit longer.

Will I be able to lodge an EOI(offshore or onshore) while on a student visa?
Yes

Is it a pre-requisite to have an offer of employment if I am applying for 190 from onshore?
No

Furthermore, will the timeline be different if I am applying for assessment, state sponsorship and the visa from offshore?

Yes, generally offshore applications take a bit longer for similar cases....Check the spreadsheet to get a good idea about that

Thanks for your time.

Cheers!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Answers to you questions in RED
Hello Mohkam,

Will I be able eligible to file an EOI or apply for the 190 visa when I have a "8503 no further stay" clause on my student visa (572)?

Immi website says if there is a no further stay clause "If condition 8503 has been imposed on your visa, it means you cannot apply for another visa (other than a protection visa or a temporary visa of a specified kind) to extend your stay while you are in Australia. Once you depart Australia condition 8503 will not prevent you from applying for other visas."

Shukran:)

Cheers!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hello Mohkam,

Will I be able eligible to file an EOI or apply for the 190 visa when I have a "8503 no further stay" clause on my student visa (572)?

Immi website says if there is a no further stay clause "If condition 8503 has been imposed on your visa, it means you cannot apply for another visa (other than a protection visa or a temporary visa of a specified kind) to extend your stay while you are in Australia. Once you depart Australia condition 8503 will not prevent you from applying for other visas."

Cheers!
Ohhh.. in this case you are going beyond my knowledge :( ... I think you still can apply for 190 visa but you are not going to be granted a bridging visa to stay in Australia during processing of your 190 (this is just a guess)

I would call DIPB and ask about that.... other seniors may have there inputs too...

If you do call DIPB, please update here for the benefit of others

All the best :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello Mohkam,

Cheers!
Hi Shukran,

I was in the same position before, and unfortunately it cannot be helped.. Why don't you try to apply offshore??

G

·
I'm assuming you can lodge an EOI but you can not apply in country, you would need to leave to do that if invited. So no bridging visa and you must leave when your current visa expires.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ohhh.. in this case you are going beyond my knowledge :( ... I think you still can apply for 190 visa but you are not going to be granted a bridging visa to stay in Australia during processing of your 190 (this is just a guess)

I would call DIPB and ask about that.... other seniors may have there inputs too...

If you do call DIPB, please update here for the benefit of others

All the best :)
Thanks Mokham, I was just wondering if I am able to apply for 190 visa whether from offshore or onshore, when I have a 572 VET student visa. I will need to clarify this with a migration agent or any of the experts out here.

Since it takes 6-7 months for this whole process, I was thinking of enrolling into a short term course(diploma) instead of being jobless. So, if I am invited to apply for 190 visa while im on a student visa, will I be allowed to apply is my concern.

Kindly forgive my ignorance, what does DIPB stand for? is it same as DIAC? Will they entertain calls? do I have to wait for hours to speak to their representative?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm assuming you can lodge an EOI but you can not apply in country, you would need to leave to do that if invited. So no bridging visa and you must leave when your current visa expires.
Hello Shel,

I am not worried about bridging visa, my only concern is will I be able to apply for 190 visa, when I have a 572 student visa. I know I cannot apply onshore, but can I apply it from offshore?

I am assuming, that if I am invited to apply for 190 and if I still have 4-5 months left before my student visa expires, then if everything goes fine, I should be able to get the 190 visa. Is this possible?

Cheers for your help.

G

·
Hello Shel,

I am not worried about bridging visa, my only concern is will I be able to apply for 190 visa, when I have a 572 student visa. I know I cannot apply onshore, but can I apply it from offshore?

I am assuming, that if I am invited to apply for 190 and if I still have 4-5 months left before my student visa expires, then if everything goes fine, I should be able to get the 190 visa. Is this possible?

Cheers for your help.
Yes you can apply offshore. 5 or 6 months is possible but I wouldn't bank on it. It could take 9 minths if checks or medicals get delayed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes you can apply offshore. 5 or 6 months is possible but I wouldn't bank on it. It could take 9 minths if checks or medicals get delayed.
Hi Shel,

Many thanks for the reply. According to immi website
What condition 8503 means?

If condition 8503 has been imposed on your visa, it means you cannot apply for another visa (other than a protection visa or a temporary visa of a specified kind) to extend your stay while you are in Australia. Once you depart Australia condition 8503 will not prevent you from applying for other visas.

if imposed, you cannot apply for further visas (see above) while you are in Australia – this includes not being able to send an application from Australia to an Australian Embassy, High Commission, Consulate or other Australian visa office overseas (or to a processing centre in Australia that deals with 'offshore' applications, such as Parent visa).Fact Sheet 52b
Once again, I want to clarify if I can apply for 190 visa from offshore if I am on a 572 VET Student visa. So from the above statement what I can conclude is, I should be able to apply for any visa from offshore. Kindly let me know if I am wrong.

Cheers for your help.

G

·
Yes you can but you must be physically offshore ie you go to NZ or similar. You wont be applying to extend your stay because you wont be entitled to a bridging visa having applied offshore and have to leave when your student visa expires if the 190 is not granted.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts