Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am in process of applying for visa 189. I have got a positive response from ACS as-well.

However i am in need of 5 points to meet the eligibility criteria. Is there any way that my spouse could help in adding 5 points to get the eligibility?

She is an engineering graduate in ECE and she worked in Cognizant for 1 year as software engineer.

As i have got 6.5 score in IELTS i need to attempt it again in order to get Band 7. If my partner could contribute 5 points then i no need to struggle to get band 7 in IELTS. Kindly advise me on this.

Thanking you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
973 Posts
You can claim 5 points for partner if and only if she can clear ielts. And her occupation is in the same SOL as yours.
She needs to get her skills assessed from ACS same way as you do.
Suppose for example you got assessed as software developer and she is a software tester then you cannot claim 5 points as both occupations are not in the same SOL.
But if you are a software developer and she is a business analyst then you can claim.

·
Registered
168 Posts
For her to contribute 5 points in your application, she needs to be in the same occupation list, have a positive skill assessment for the same occupation as you have and score at least competent English in IELTS. An alternative advice to you is start looking for state sponsorship. If the state sponsors you, you'd be scoring an additional much needed 5 points.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your valuable suggestions.

Yes, state sponsorship i could go with. However,since i am an IT engineer,Is it fine to go with this option? Because opportunities might be limited and there are certain rules like, i must have to work in the sponsored state for a couple of years etc... Like how is the job opportunities in those states who can offer sponsorship?

And also please clarify me - Can i do skill assessment for my spouse since she has same profile that i posses but she has just 1 year exp in IT field.

I am pretty new to this. Please apologize if you find my questions are silly :D.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks for your valuable suggestions.

Yes, state sponsorship i could go with. However,since i am an IT engineer,Is it fine to go with this option? Because opportunities might be limited and there are certain rules like, i must have to work in the sponsored state for a couple of years etc... Like how is the job opportunities in those states who can offer sponsorship?

And also please clarify me - Can i do skill assessment for my spouse since she has same profile that i posses but she has just 1 year exp in IT field.

I am pretty new to this. Please apologize if you find my questions are silly :D.
With just one 1 year of experience she won't be able to get a positive assessment from ACS (she would need a minimum of 2 years of experience). Read https://www.acs.org.au/__data/asset...ills-Assessment-Guidelines-for-Applicants.pdf for more information.

Like what others have suggested, you can opt for state sponsorship (not every state is keen on sponsoring ICT professionals, but you do have the option to specific which state you would like to seek nomination from if you are worried about job opportunities).
Trying to work towards a higher IELTs score while adding 190 to your EOI would be a more practical route for you at this point I would think.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts