Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

We[my wife and me] are planning to apply for ACS to get our skills certified for the Australian PR.

Our Background : Both of us have studied Electrical Engineering and joined IT companies in India thereafter for the last 8.5 years. My wife has been working on testing services for the most part of her career and I am working as a developer/programmer. We plan to apply for job code 261313-Software Engineer as it sounds like a middle ground.

Question#1: To claim the extra 5 points for "Partner skill qualification", does both the partners need to have the same ANZSCO ? i.e, both need to be certified by ACS as 261313-Software Engineer OR 261312 - Developer Programmer OR 261311 - Analyst Programmer etc ? Or does it suffice if both of them have one of job code (261311,261312,261314,261399) mix and match.

Question#2: Should we be applying for RPL as our education qualification is NOT ICT but we have been working in Software throughout? It would be helpful if someone with a similar experience can post their experience with ACS.

Thanks a bunch in advance!!!

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
#1: Both don't have to be skilled in the same occupation. However, both your occupations should be on the same list (SOL or CSOL). Does not even matter if partners occupation ceiling has reached or, in case of CSOL, the occupation is open for invites at any state.

#2: Yes, RPL.

Additionally, note that partner will have to score IELTS 6+ in all modules (or PTE, etc equivalent).

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Hello All,

We[my wife and me] are planning to apply for ACS to get our skills certified for the Australian PR.

Our Background : Both of us have studied Electrical Engineering and joined IT companies in India thereafter for the last 8.5 years. My wife has been working on testing services for the most part of her career and I am working as a developer/programmer. We plan to apply for job code 261313-Software Engineer as it sounds like a middle ground.

Question#1: To claim the extra 5 points for "Partner skill qualification", does both the partners need to have the same ANZSCO ? i.e, both need to be certified by ACS as 261313-Software Engineer OR 261312 - Developer Programmer OR 261311 - Analyst Programmer etc ? Or does it suffice if both of them have one of job code (261311,261312,261314,261399) mix and match.

Question#2: Should we be applying for RPL as our education qualification is NOT ICT but we have been working in Software throughout? It would be helpful if someone with a similar experience can post their experience with ACS.

Thanks a bunch in advance!!!
Both of you need to file RPL and minimum 6 years of experience is required for positive assessment for both of you. As 6 years will be deducted from your experience you will be left with 2.5 years so you wont be able to claim experience points as of now....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses Keeda and Danav_Singh.

Going through some of the threads in this forum, I found this link

/expats/australia-expat-forum-expats-living-australia/159101-eee-degree-ict-major-minor
[Unable to post the complete url as the forum does not allow me to post urls until I have made 5 posts]

It says quite the opposite of what you are saying:
In that Kiran55 says that for EEE from any university in India, ACS awards an ICT major.

Not that I doubt your knowledge, but I have been hearing these contrasting opinions outside the forum as well and this makes me very sceptical as to whether i will be treated as an ICT Major, Minor or an RPL candidate.

Can anyone with a similar personal experience, i.e. having got ACS done with Engineering in non-computers or non-IT whether they got an ICT Major, Minor or went RPL route ?

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
The EEE discussed in that thread is BE in Electrical and Electronics Engineering. Is yours the same? From what I know, BE in Electrical Engineering is different that BE in Electrical and Electronics Engineering. Try posting in that thread or sending members a PM about this to be sure. Also, download ANZSCO-Descriptions.pdf from ACS website and study the "Description of Closely Related Core ICT Units" for your occupation and see if subjects from your transcripts can compare with those.
Do also study Skills-Assessment-Guidelines-for-Applicants.pdf to understand how ACS awards the degree as Major or Minor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts