Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Myself and my wife are looking to move to Canada as soon as possible.

I am a fully qualified plumber/gas fitter with over 12 yrs experience and all relative plumber and gas certs.

I have been on alot of Canadian job sites emailing employers looking for plumbers.

I was also at the expo recently in Dublin and offered c.v's.

I just want to know what the easiest way is to get over there quickly and if the Canadian companies are interested as much as i have been told.

Thanks for your attention

Aaron

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hello,

I am a fully qualified plumber/gas fitter with over 12 yrs experience and all relative plumber and gas certs.

I have been on alot of Canadian job sites emailing employers looking for plumbers.

I just want to know what the easiest way is to get over there quickly and if the Canadian companies are interested as much as i have been told.

Aaron
Hi Aaron,

Your trade is in demand, mainly driven by the gasfields in Alberta which sucks in a lot of the manpower on the industrial side. We employ plumbers/gasfitters direct on our construction projects in BC and Alberta, so would be inetrested to see your CV.

Regards
Ian Nutley
Maple Reinders Construction

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Hello,

Aaron
Hello Aaron and welcome to the site,

Well, Plumbers are one of the occupations in demand in Canada so you should have no problems immigrating here. Your occupations qualifies you to apply for Permanent Resident (PR) status which should take 6-9 months. This would permit you to live and work in whichever part of Canada takes your fancy. The information and application form(s) are on
Welcome to Citizenship and Immigration Canada

There is a remote possibility of getting here sooner if on of the employers you contacted you and offered you a job. The process is different insofar as the employer need to get permission from the Canadian Government to hire you under what's known as a LMO. The downside here is you would be tied to to this employer for the term of your Temporary Work Permit and at wherever the employer is located.
Any further questions, please ask.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thats great so if things dont work out for some strange reason with the company..what would happen? could i be re-employed somewhere else?

im more of a residential gas man...mainly heating and plumbing installations in residential houses

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
ok thats great so if things dont work out for some strange reason with the company..what would happen? could i be re-employed somewhere else?

im more of a residential gas man...mainly heating and plumbing installations in residential houses
If you're on a TWP you would, within 90 days. have to find another job with a LMO. If not successful you would have to leave the country. If you have PR status that would not apply.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
thanks..

just got offered a job in regina.

whats it like there?
Congratulations on the job. Regina is the Provincial capital of the Province of Saskatchewan. I have been there a number of times visiting relatives. It's a pleasant city and has both nice and not so nice areas. The Peovince is having an economic boon. It's a good place ro live.
Much Good Luck.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi Aaron
My husband is a qualified Gas /Plumbing engineer in the U.K. and we have gone down the Perminent Resident visa route under the Skilled worker. We applied Feb 2011 and have just had a letter for all clear on our medicals so we are hoping to have our visas in hand within 3 months. We are all set to go this summer job permitting !!!!!!!!
We felt the P.R. route was the safest option for us having 3 kids. Hopefully any potential employers will also see that we are serious about settling in Canada and want to find good employment.
Rgds Maria

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Aaron
My husband is a qualified Gas /Plumbing engineer in the U.K. and we have gone down the Perminent Resident visa route under the Skilled worker. We applied Feb 2011 and have just had a letter for all clear on our medicals so we are hoping to have our visas in hand within 3 months. We are all set to go this summer job permitting !!!!!!!!
We felt the P.R. route was the safest option for us having 3 kids. Hopefully any potential employers will also see that we are serious about settling in Canada and want to find good employment.
Rgds Maria
Hi Maria

Just wondered how long it took for ur medicals to clear after u had them done. we (me,my other half and daughter) are having ours done next week and are hping to move in the summer if they are clear!!! we have also gone down the permanent residents route.

Regards
Charlene

·
Registered
112 Posts
ok no prob..are the taxes on wages heavy? in Ireland there crazy
Compared to Ireland they are not bad, most of the moaning you'll hear about Canadian taxes are from the UK or America.

From what I've calculated it seems to be about 33% on the higher wages down to 25% on lower but you can have other withholding on top of that say for your pension, voluntarily contributions etc, no different to here.

Even all the stuff about HST taxes on goods is nothing compared to our VAT, figure an average of 12- 15% in Canada against our wonderful 23% VAT

John

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi Charlene we had medicals end of Jan, and had a letter within 5 wks, so now awaiting visas i think !!!!! Which part of Canada are you moving too?

·
Registered
8 Posts
gas fitter

Hi mate. I am a gas fitter/plumber with over 25 years experience(technician with Vokera boilers,gas board etc.) I moved to Canada 10 years ago and have NEVER had a decent job in the field.You will need to challenge the exam first through the Safety Authority to get your gas license and also to get a plumbers red seal. It is completely different here,codes,standards etc. You will almost most likely be hired by the hour and get laid off when there is no work.A 40 hour week is unheard of so if you agree to say $25hr come the end of the week you will have worked for 15-20hr.Sorry to burst your bubble mate but reality is Canadians are ruthless. Be absolutely sure you have a good job to come to before leaving home. Best of luck!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi mate. I am a gas fitter/plumber with over 25 years experience(technician with Vokera boilers,gas board etc.) I moved to Canada 10 years ago and have NEVER had a decent job in the field.You will need to challenge the exam first through the Safety Authority to get your gas license and also to get a plumbers red seal.Your Irish licenses will NOT be recognised.If you work on Warm Air units and air conditioning that will be an advantage to you. It is completely different here,codes,standards etc. You will almost most likely be hired by the hour and get laid off when there is no work.A 40 hour week is unheard of so if you agree to say $25hr come the end of the week you will have worked for 15-20hr.Sorry to burst your bubble mate but reality is Canadians are ruthless. Be absolutely sure you have a good job to come to before leaving home. Best of luck!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Charlene we had medicals end of Jan, and had a letter within 5 wks, so now awaiting visas i think !!!!! Which part of Canada are you moving too?
Hi

Thank you for replying so quickly, they were quick to write back 2 ye we had interview in London in Jan and they told us it would take 3 months from when the medicals were sent in!! but i guess they have to give that time frame incase there is any problems. We had a chat with them yesterday and unfortunately because im pregnant the medicals have to be delayed until the baby is born (they need baby's passport and birth cert otherwise we would have to sponsor our own baby if our visa's came through before baby was born)..just a minor set bk they said we still should have visa's by August all going well :eek:...

we are keeping open minded about places to settle wherever my OH gets work and of course near a good high school for my daughter!!

What part do ye plan on settling in???

Kind Regards

Charlene

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.