Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear seniors,
I know that I need to transfer my driver license when landing in Adelaide but I have some questions below:
- on south Australia website, they said I must transfer my driver license within 90 days. They do not state 90 days from when. My grant date is December 2016. I will land in Adelaide this June. So can I still transfer my driver license although 90 days from grant date has expired?
- During the time waiting and doing the procedures to transfer my driver license can I drive with my current licence?
Thanks heap.

·
Super Moderator
5,693 Posts
Dear seniors,
I know that I need to transfer my driver license when landing in Adelaide but I have some questions below:
- on south Australia website, they said I must transfer my driver license within 90 days. They do not state 90 days from when. My grant date is December 2016. I will land in Adelaide this June. So can I still transfer my driver license although 90 days from grant date has expired?
- During the time waiting and doing the procedures to transfer my driver license can I drive with my current licence?
Thanks heap.
You can use your current, valid Vietnamese license for 90 days from when you arrive in Australia.

If your license is not in English, you will also need to have an International Drivers Permit to be able to drive in South Australia for those 90 days (from whenever in June that you land in Australia).

On or before the 90 days ends, if you want to continue to drive, you'll need to go to a Service SA customer service centre and pass theory, hazard perception and practical driving test to get an SA drivers licence.

Assuming you have a Vietnamese license, you can not "transfer" that license to an Australian license - only people from some countries can do this - which is why you'll need to do the above tests before you can get a South Australian drivers licence.

After yo have been in Australia more than 90 days, you can not drive at all on your Vietnamese licence.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can use your current, valid Vietnamese license for 90 days from when you arrive in Australia.

If your license is not in English, you will also need to have an International Drivers Permit to be able to drive in South Australia for those 90 days (from whenever in June that you land in Australia).

On or before the 90 days ends, if you want to continue to drive, you'll need to go to a Service SA customer service centre and pass theory, hazard perception and practical driving test to get an SA drivers licence.

Assuming you have a Vietnamese license, you can not "transfer" that license to an Australian license - only people from some countries can do this - which is why you'll need to do the above tests before you can get a South Australian drivers licence.

After yo have been in Australia more than 90 days, you can not drive at all on your Vietnamese licence.
Thanks Kaju. your answer helps me alot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts