Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just had a French plumber to do some minor work on removing a radiator and fitting a heated towel rail. I was amazed by the fact he did not use solder but rather brazed the copper pipes together. This makes a permanent bond which can only be cut off and seems very messy. The excessive heat also damaged the wall as they don't appear to have heat shields either.

Anyone cast any light on this - I've always been used to soldered copper joints in the past, both UK & USA. And lead-free solder has been available for years.

Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,

I just had a French plumber to do some minor work on removing a radiator and fitting a heated towel rail. I was amazed by the fact he did not use solder but rather brazed the copper pipes together. This makes a permanent bond which can only be cut off and seems very messy. The excessive heat also damaged the wall as they don't appear to have heat shields either.

Anyone cast any light on this - I've always been used to soldered copper joints in the past, both UK & USA. And lead-free solder has been available for years.

Cheers
In France it's the normal practice to braze and not use soft solder, copper tube here has a 1mm wall thickness, so you can put a 10mm into a 12mm and a 12mm into a 14mm and into a 16mm etc., and braze them together to reduce the diameter and also "T off" by brazing into bigger tube.

You can buy solder and fittings here (not "yorkshire fittings though)

Not using a heat deflector and damaging walls is not acceptable and just plain lazy!

Mark

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In France it's the normal practice to braze and not use soft solder, copper tube here has a 1mm wall thickness, so you can put a 10mm into a 12mm and a 12mm into a 14mm and into a 16mm etc., and braze them together to reduce the diameter and also "T off" by brazing into bigger tube.

You can buy solder and fittings here (not "yorkshire fittings though)

Not using a heat deflector and damaging walls is not acceptable and just plain lazy!

Mark
Thanks Mark, any idea on where to get a heat deflector and what it is called locally, I'd rather be safe than sorry for the next round of work

Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks Mark, any idea on where to get a heat deflector and what it is called locally, I'd rather be safe than sorry for the next round of work

Cheers
Sorry, I don't know what they're called....I brought one with me. I do carry a couple of pieces of old laminated flooring, which though gets a little scorched and smelly does do the trick!
M.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.