Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My long-stay visitor visa expires in about a week. I need help.

So I went to my prefecture (Hauts-de-seine/Nanterre) two months ago to renew my visa and get a carte de sejour. They turned me away and told me to send my dossier via post to the prefecture, after which I am supposed to receive details regarding an appointment. I did as asked but have not heard anything from them. What are my options now?
Can I get a temporary extension or maybe a document that allows me to stay in France until my visa renewal appointment? Or is there something else I could do I'm not thinking of?

Please help me

(Going back to my prefecture to ask for aid is not an option. I went three times in July. Each time failing to get inside the building until night number 3. I would begin queuing from 1amthe night before. They only let in about 200-300 people at open-time before they shut the gates, so the line is already massive by the time you arrive. I along with hundreds of others, babies, elderly, would sit outside in the rain hoping to be let in the next morning. It was the most horrible and dehumanizing experience I've ever had and would like to avoid going back if I can. Also, they don't reply to emails or answer calls so this forum is my only hope)

·
Registered
234 Posts
My long-stay visitor visa expires in about a week. I need help.

So I went to my prefecture (Hauts-de-seine/Nanterre) two months ago to renew my visa and get a carte de sejour. They turned me away and told me to send my dossier via post to the prefecture, after which I am supposed to receive details regarding an appointment. I did as asked but have not heard anything from them. What are my options now?

Can I get a temporary extension or maybe a document that allows me to stay in France until my visa renewal appointment? Or is there something else I could do I'm not thinking of?

Please help me

(Going back to my prefecture to ask for aid is not an option. I went three times in July. Each time failing to get inside the building until night number 3. I would begin queuing from 1amthe night before. They only let in about 200-300 people at open-time before they shut the gates, so the line is already massive by the time you arrive. I along with hundreds of others, babies, elderly, would sit outside in the rain hoping to be let in the next morning. It was the most horrible and dehumanizing experience I've ever had and would like to avoid going back if I can. Also, they don't reply to emails or answer calls so this forum is my only hope)

What a nightmare! At least the Prefecture in Nîmes (Gard), where I am, lets you make an appointment via email.

But in my experience the deadline for renewal (at least for the renewal of a carte de séjour) is--how shall I put it--flexible. I've sought an appointment two months in advance of the expiration of my carte de séjour and been given a date well after the expiration. And once you have your appointment they give you a récépissé that effectively extends your carte de séjour for 90 days or more. At my last renewal, the récépissé was valid for six months!

So, I wouldn't sweat the deadline (up to a point), but I'm afraid I can't provide any advice on getting an appointment at the Prefecture in Nanterre . . .

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But in my experience the deadline for renewal (at least for the renewal of a carte de séjour) is--how shall I put it--flexible. I've sought an appointment two months in advance of the expiration of my carte de séjour and been given a date well after the expiration. And once you have your appointment they give you a récépissé that effectively extends your carte de séjour for 90 days or more. At my last renewal, the récépissé was valid for six months!
ok this puts my mind somewhat at ease thank you so much for this!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to the website for the prefecture, you can take an appointment online for the sous-prefecture in Antony. That might be your best bet - and at least you would have your confirmation of your appointment (dated to show you applied for it before your titre de séjour expired).
Cheers,
Bev
I live in Levallois, 92300, so I fall under the Nanterre prefecture and not Antony. So i've always understood that i'm limited to the Nanterre prefecture. Unless i'm not understanding the website properly. Does a sous-prefecture in Antony mean they're linked with the Nanterre prefecture?

Also, when I click the link the on the website to make an appointment for a renewal of visitor visa, google sends me to a warning page

·
Registered
234 Posts
Also, when I click the link the on the website to make an appointment for a renewal of visitor visa, google sends me to a warning page

I can't speak to whether you can go to one sous-prefecture or another, but you can ignore the warning from Google (or more likely, your browser). Looks like the gouv.fr website hasn't updated their security certificate but if you click continue (or ignore, or add exception, or whatever bypasses the warning) it does take you to the appointments page.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
Unless it says somewhere on the prefecture website that you MUST use the Nanterre prefecture rather than one of the sous-prefectures (and that is a possibility), it appears that Antony is the only sous-prefecture that will make appointments to renew your titre de séjour online.

The problem is that the details about procedure seem to be changing all the time, and if you have to show up at Nanterre at 1 am to get an "entry ticket" they may simply be looking to "encourage" folks with certain types of transactions to use the sous-prefectures. Check the site to see if there is anything about the Antony sous-prefecture dealing only with people living in certain towns, but if not, your confirmation of having taken an appointment before the expiration date of your titre de séjour could come in handy (particularly if the only appointment you can get is well after the expiration date).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
42 Posts
So I just went to my prefecture to renew my titre de sejour, and they turned us away (after having made the long queue since early morning!) cuz the acte de mariage we got is not from less than 3 months and we have to apply for a new copy online (it's posted from Nantes). Nowhere on the listed of required documents did it specify that the acte de mariage needs to be from less than 3 months. For the proof of address and prood of life together yes it specifies that the papers must be from <3 months, but it's not mentioned for the acte de mariage.

Ok so never mind so we need to get a new copy of acte de mariage and have just applied for 2 copies online, but just wondering if anyone knows how long it'll take to receive them? (Posted from Nantes) I need them ASAP...

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
So I just went to my prefecture to renew my titre de sejour, and they turned us away (after having made the long queue since early morning!) cuz the acte de mariage we got is not from less than 3 months and we have to apply for a new copy online (it's posted from Nantes). Nowhere on the listed of required documents did it specify that the acte de mariage needs to be from less than 3 months. For the proof of address and prood of life together yes it specifies that the papers must be from <3 months, but it's not mentioned for the acte de mariage.

Ok so never mind so we need to get a new copy of acte de mariage and have just applied for 2 copies online, but just wondering if anyone knows how long it'll take to receive them? (Posted from Nantes) I need them ASAP...
Usually very quick - a few days to a week.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oh great I really hope so! Cuz last time my husband needed his birth certificate, ordered online and it took more than 1 month to arrive! That was during February, not even the summer months. (Although it was from his town of birth, not Nantes so hopefully Nantes is faster lol)

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Oh great I really hope so! Cuz last time my husband needed his birth certificate, ordered online and it took more than 1 month to arrive! That was during February, not even the summer months. (Although it was from his town of birth, not Nantes so hopefully Nantes is faster lol)
The online system in Nantes seems to work very well these days.

In my experience you are as likely to receive a quick response to a request for a birth certificate from a tiny commune than from many towns, if not even faster as in the small communes the few staff are poly-valent (a friend of mine had the same experience as your husband).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Got an email from Nantes today basically saying:
Pour les demandes de cartes nationales d'identité, de passeports ou de titres de séjour, il convient de vous adresser à la mairie ou à la préfecture du lieu de votre résidence, ou, si vous résidez à l'étranger, au consulat de France dont dépend votre domicile.

Weird thing is we didn't ask for cartes nationales d'identité, de passeports ou de titres de séjour, we just applied for acte de mariage and it needed the reason for applying this, which is for renewing my titre de sejour so we put that, then is it now they think we're trying to apply for titre de sejour with Nantes and asking us to apply for this with prefecture etc and not sending us our acte de mariage now? Seriously what is this

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got a feeling a busy or careless or confused Nantes staff just quickly looked at our application and saw the for renewing titre de sejour part and thought we're applying for titre de sejour and replied us to ask us to go elsewhere to do that....

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Can I get the acte de mariage from my mairie? (We gor married overseas though, not in France)
No. Try re-applying via the Nantes online application process - it's not impossible that you accidentally clicked on something that you shouldn't have (AFAIK the system is highly automated so it's unlikely that there was a staff error).

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
I still haven't received the acte de mariage, already applied twice online - on the 11th and 17th...
Did your husband register the marriage in France via the French Consulate? If so, you need to make the request under his name. If not, you need to make the request in the country where the marriage took place.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes we had the transcription de mariage done before I came to France, that's how we got the 1st acte de mariage from Nantes and livret de famille, and then applied for the long-term visa (vie privee et familiale) for me, so yes Nantes already has our marriage record.
And yes my husband requested for the acte de mariage under his name, twice...

·
Registered
42 Posts
We're more than willing to just travel to Nantes and get it sur place, but just not sure if it's possible because online it says people can apply from Nantes either online or by post, but didn't mention if can do it sur place (unlike at the other mairies for people who married in France, it's mentioned they can applied either online or sur place at the mairie), however it also didn't mention anywhere that people CAN'T go directly to Nantes to get it sur place , so we're not sure...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts