Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am hoping to relocate to Sydney or Melbourne next year for about a year (or longer - if I like it) but I am wondering where would be the best area to live to in ( in both Sydney and Melbourne). currently i am looking at a job in Chatswood Sydney, is this a good area?

I am in my late 20's, single and black caribbean. I spent 2 years in NZ in a small (ish) city. This time I have my wits about me and I am looking for a (more) lively area, with young people, (the last place in NZ, was full of married couples with young kids). Also I want somewhere thats good for shopping, got good transport links, (so that I dont need a car right away and it also means that I can get out and about and visit tourist locations etc), has good restaurants and has a great night life, so I can get out a meet people because I will be going alone.

Finally I know that Australia doesnt have many black people but is there a place/area/region that has more black people, cos things like your getting hair, etc can be really difficult when there a no black people.

I am basically looking for an area that has lots going on and lots of opportunity to meet people. I really struggled to meet people and make friends in NZ and I dont want that to happen again.

The jobs I am looking for at are in the professional healthcare sector - mainly private clinics but there could only be 3-4 staff members, so I cant rely on that as being a way to meet people.

Thanks in advance

: )

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi Caz00,

a few threads to get you started:
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...lia/60602-my-experience-sydney-melbourne.html
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...iving-australia/154569-where-live-sydney.html
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...ustralia/1883-sydney-suburbs-wheres-best.html
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...-living-australia/73419-melbourne-sydney.html

Use the "Advanced" search function to only search the thread titles only for more results from the forum.

Honestly, though: I'd suggest to get a short-term accommodation for the first month (AirBnB, gumtree, hostel, friends etc.) and walk/ride around the city a bit until you have identified areas that you like. We spent the month walking all over the inner city suburbs, asking people and looking at apartments. Everyone's criteria differ a bit ;). We wanted a modern apartment with a fairly new kitchen and in the inner suburbs. No pool, gym or garden required, but quiet enough to leave the window open at night. People with kids or pets may want a garden. Others would like to live in a busy, vibrant street with many bars and shops, even though it may be louder at night etc.

Both cities are very cosmopolitan: Lot's of people from the UK (naturally), Vietnam, China, India, Greece etc. Take a look at the Demographics of Sydney and Melbourne. I'm sure you won't feel out of place.

Cheers,
Monika

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Hi

I am hoping to relocate to Sydney or Melbourne next year for about a year (or longer - if I like it) but I am wondering where would be the best area to live to in ( in both Sydney and Melbourne). currently i am looking at a job in Chatswood Sydney, is this a good area?

I am in my late 20's, single and black caribbean. I spent 2 years in NZ in a small (ish) city. This time I have my wits about me and I am looking for a (more) lively area, with young people, (the last place in NZ, was full of married couples with young kids). Also I want somewhere thats good for shopping, got good transport links, (so that I dont need a car right away and it also means that I can get out and about and visit tourist locations etc), has good restaurants and has a great night life, so I can get out a meet people because I will be going alone.

Finally I know that Australia doesnt have many black people but is there a place/area/region that has more black people, cos things like your getting hair, etc can be really difficult when there a no black people.

I am basically looking for an area that has lots going on and lots of opportunity to meet people. I really struggled to meet people and make friends in NZ and I dont want that to happen again.

The jobs I am looking for at are in the professional healthcare sector - mainly private clinics but there could only be 3-4 staff members, so I cant rely on that as being a way to meet people.

Thanks in advance

: )
I don't know about Sydney but I know here in Melbourne there are a few hair salons that cater to black people, most are out by Footscray and I've seen a couple in Preston and Noble Park. As for the black population in general, it's certainly a lot less than other cities I've lived in in North America but that said, it's a fairly diverse city and almost everyone seems to be represented - but the "majority" minority population leans more towards Asians and less towards blacks.

As for Chatswood, I've been and it's a fairly leafy suburb on the North Shore of Sydney so fairly affluent. Large Asian population there. It's fairly close to the CBD as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts