Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

We are new to this and was wondering if anyone can provide helpful advice on living in and around Sydney? We are looking for safe and reasonable areas to live within an hours drive of North Sydney. We will need at least 3 beds and ideally a house rather than an apartment. The budget is tight probably max $400pw rent or $400,000 to buy. As we are coming over from the cold in the UK ideally we would like to be near the coast but appreciate our budget may not allow. If there is anything else we should know please feel free to include, ie taxes on property, grocery costs, communication links that sort of stuff.

We have at least been over a few times before but my husband may be offered a job over there so the goalposts have moved.

Hope you can help,

Thanks

The Wilcocks

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
In Sydney this is a hard thing to get as it has the highest Real Estate pricing in Australia (median and average).

In renting you can look at the Northern Beaches and the North Shore but you will get 2 BR (not 3) for 400 pw.

For buying you will need to look at Northern Suburbs North of Hornsby, again $400k does not easily get you within 1 hours drive of North Sydney. And you will need to consider a unit instead of a house if you are intent on buying in that price range.

If you can up your rental to 500/pw you will have many more choices. And with buying you'd need to consider Western Sydney and Southern Sydney to find more of a choice.

Hi Guys

We are new to this and was wondering if anyone can provide helpful advice on living in and around Sydney? We are looking for safe and reasonable areas to live within an hours drive of North Sydney. We will need at least 3 beds and ideally a house rather than an apartment. The budget is tight probably max $400pw rent or $400,000 to buy. As we are coming over from the cold in the UK ideally we would like to be near the coast but appreciate our budget may not allow. If there is anything else we should know please feel free to include, ie taxes on property, grocery costs, communication links that sort of stuff.

We have at least been over a few times before but my husband may be offered a job over there so the goalposts have moved.

Hope you can help,

Thanks

The Wilcocks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In Sydney this is a hard thing to get as it has the highest Real Estate pricing in Australia (median and average).

In renting you can look at the Northern Beaches and the North Shore but you will get 2 BR (not 3) for 400 pw.

For buying you will need to look at Northern Suburbs North of Hornsby, again $400k does not easily get you within 1 hours drive of North Sydney. And you will need to consider a unit instead of a house if you are intent on buying in that price range.

If you can up your rental to 500/pw you will have many more choices. And with buying you'd need to consider Western Sydney and Southern Sydney to find more of a choice.
Hiya

That's great, actually I think I just worked that out for myself so we are going to have to have a good think about whether we want to take a step backwards or not. It's good to hear Im picking up the right vibes though. I also discovered the area of Queenscliff and Freshwater today as a not too badly priced for rental, have you any advice on this area?

Many, many thanks

The Wilcocks. :)

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I live close to those areas. I would select Freshwater over Queenscliff as Queenscliff tends to be a bit more crowded whereas Freshwater is still mostly houses and only some units. Also Dee Why is quite convenient with many shops and a major hub for all the buses. Dee Why has many units available.

Hiya

That's great, actually I think I just worked that out for myself so we are going to have to have a good think about whether we want to take a step backwards or not. It's good to hear Im picking up the right vibes though. I also discovered the area of Queenscliff and Freshwater today as a not too badly priced for rental, have you any advice on this area?

Many, many thanks

The Wilcocks. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live close to those areas. I would select Freshwater over Queenscliff as Queenscliff tends to be a bit more crowded whereas Freshwater is still mostly houses and only some units. Also Dee Why is quite convenient with many shops and a major hub for all the buses. Dee Why has many units available.
That's Brill,

Thanks. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts