Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

This is my very first post on this site!

I am desperately trying to move to France (Paris, Oise or Picardy areas). My brother and his wife moved to France ten years ago, but he was contracted there with his company, so didn't have the trouble of trying to find a job and somewhere to live.

I visit Paris a lot to see them and have fallen in love with the life and the idea of living in another country. I speak very basic French but not enough to work in an all-speaking French environment. However, I do pick it up quickly and believe Iwill learn fast when I live there.

Trouble is, I have been looking for basic admin jobs as I know I probably wouldn't find anything much better with my lack of French, but I can't even find this!

I have tried places like Disneyland, and Wrigleys etc but nothing. All the jobs I have found require fluency in French.

Also, where do I look for rental properties? What's it like renting in France is it different to here?

Any help would be so appreciated!

Thanks
L

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is an English speaking magazine that is published every month and distributed around Paris - it's called FUSAC. You can find it and read it online. In the magazine, there are employment opportunities and apartment rentals listed, so that can definitely help. Just check out the website and see what they offer! Hope this helps!

·
Administrator
50,378 Posts
As already mentioned, FUSAC is a good source of English language ads. The only caveat is that most of the job ads - certainly those for admin jobs - want someone who speaks French as well as whatever other language they are looking for. You can find FUSAC online here: FUSAC - Petites annonces pour anglophones de Paris

FUSAC is also a good source for rental ads, and with any kind of luck you may be able to find a "co-location" (roommate situation) or a sub-let, where you would be dealing with an anglophone at first. Renting a flat on your own can be a bit daunting at first. The "standard" lease runs for 3 years, though with specific conditions under which you can move out, with appropriate notice, etc.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
25 Posts
My advice - improve your French

I speak very basic French but not enough to work in an all-speaking French environment. However, I do pick it up quickly and believe Iwill learn fast when I live there.
You need to do something about your level of French BEFORE you come here to live and work.

Can you imagine anyone getting a job in the UK if they didn't speak English? Their chances would be severely limited and quite probably nonexistent if they didn't have some special expertise or contact.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.