Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm writing to seek your advice after having a sudden doubt whether I'm doing the sensible thing here.

I'm eligible for both 189 and 190 visas. On 189 my occupation is Industrial Engineer and on 190 my occupation is Production Manager (Manufacturing) which is only available in South Australia without job offer.

I decided to go for 190 visa because the prod mgr occupation is in my opinion a more stable occupation and also my current occupation for the past 4 years. Before that I was in industrial engineer occupation where I've been laid off or been at the risk of getting laid off at least twice. So I prefer prod mgr occ overall.

But here's where my doubt comes in. After you get PR do you have to stick to your exact occupation? Or are you allowed to work in any occupation? Does the govt or immigration authority control this and monitor this? Because if they don't and one can work in any occupation then... I'm wondering if it makes more sense for me to go for 189 visa because it opens me up to jobs anywhere in Aus! Does it matter if I get PR on 189 visa thru industrial engineer occupation but actually working as prod mgr?

The other thing is both my bachelors and masters qualifications are in industrial engineering. Then, is it better if I stick to industrial engineer occupation on 189 visa?

The thing is at the moment I've got all my docs ready and I'm about to apply to vetassess for prod mgr occupation for 190 visa. Do you guys think I should rather be applying to Engineers Australia for Industrial engineer occupation in 189 visa??

Please help. I'm a bit confused. :(

Reactions: csk.sakthi

·
Registered
780 Posts
For you 189 is better.

Once you get the Visa, you can work in any stream and occupation , and if it is 189, you can work across Australia.

There is no restriction of working in specific role or job profile once you get the valid visa( 189 or 190).

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for your reply Piyush. Do you know if 189 processing is faster or slower than 190 processing? This is taking into account skills assessment time as well.

I do know that vetassess process seems simpler than engineers Australia process. That's also partly the reason why I was leaning towards prod mgr and 190.

But if I struggle it out a bit now and get thru with Engineers Australia assessment maybe 189 visa will be better in the long run? I don't know.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks so much for your reply Piyush. Do you know if 189 processing is faster or slower than 190 processing? This is taking into account skills assessment time as well.

I do know that vetassess process seems simpler than engineers Australia process. That's also partly the reason why I was leaning towards prod mgr and 190.

But if I struggle it out a bit now and get thru with Engineers Australia assessment maybe 189 visa will be better in the long run? I don't know.
When we say processing there are 2 phases
1) Getting an Invite
2) Getting your visa(post invite)

For 1 the time can be same or different based on you occupation and points and state you apply in. You may get either one earlier than the other.

The step 2 is definitely faster for 190.

My suggestion is to apply for both through 2 EOI's + 1 state application. This ofcourse depends on your skill assessment occupation. As this is free of cost there is no harm. This way if you get an invite from one or both you can make your decision.

It is always better to go through 189 as it gives one the flexibility for the first 2 years to move across Australia depending one ones needs. Generally people go for 190 only if they cannot get through 189.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very interesting info JonDoe. Thanks!

You say visa stage for 190 is definitely faster??... Anyway I need to make this decision based on which is better in the long term for finding jobs and obviously 189 is better in that respect. As long as I'll be able to get the Engineers Australia assessment done. It seems very complex and difficult!!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I didn't understand what you meant by "as this is free of cost...". What is free of cost? I thought skills assessments have fees.

Edited to add: Oh you mean the EOI is free!... Ya but my occupation is different for 189 visa and for 190 visa. So if I do 2 assessments at the same time I'll have to pay for both!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think cat 189 is good to apply however I didn't understand JonDoe's point saying " It is always better to go through 189 as it gives one the flexibility for the first 2 years to move across Australia depending one ones needs."
Per my understanding person with visa 189 is eligible to move anywhere for the complete duration of the visa and not only for the first two years!!
Assuming I am interpenetrating JonDoe's point wrong here.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea as far as I understand 190 restricts you to the chosen state for first 2 years. But with 189 you can apply for jobs anywhere in Aus. That's a huge advantage!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yea as far as I understand 190 restricts you to the chosen state for first 2 years. But with 189 you can apply for jobs anywhere in Aus. That's a huge advantage!!
Just a clarification "There is no restriction for 190, it is a moral obligation" they are not the same. If you have a 190 from say a state XYZ and you do not find a job in that state you can inform the authorities and choose to work in another state.

Your choice of visa should be based on your choice of Job Code.
It is true that many prefer 189 over 190 but that does not mean there is a better or worse among them!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I didn't understand what you meant by "as this is free of cost...". What is free of cost? I thought skills assessments have fees.

Edited to add: Oh you mean the EOI is free!... Ya but my occupation is different for 189 visa and for 190 visa. So if I do 2 assessments at the same time I'll have to pay for both!
He meant that having 1 or more EOI is free and he suggested to have separate EOI for 189 and 190. Few states are giving sponsorship without any fees whereas NSW charges $300. Generally 190 is faster but as we are coming to end of financial year they are moving very slowly.

As you have industrial engineering background and experience, it is better to go for EA assessment. Vetassess are very slow, they take around 2-3 months to give you the outcome. I have no idea about EA.

All the best.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Looking at the tracker (and my recent experience) the 189 is taking 44 - 50 days for a lot of applications.

By the standards of any PR application in the world, that's quick.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a clarification "There is no restriction for 190, it is a moral obligation" they are not the same. If you have a 190 from say a state XYZ and you do not find a job in that state you can inform the authorities and choose to work in another state.

Your choice of visa should be based on your choice of Job Code.
It is true that many prefer 189 over 190 but that does not mean there is a better or worse among them!
But I thought there is a restriction. On this same page there is another thread where somebody has been searching for jobs in South Australia for 7 months or so and now they're having to get a release letter from the govt so that they can apply in another state. That doesn't sound like a simple moral obligation to me. I don't know.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He meant that having 1 or more EOI is free and he suggested to have separate EOI for 189 and 190. Few states are giving sponsorship without any fees whereas NSW charges $300. Generally 190 is faster but as we are coming to end of financial year they are moving very slowly.

As you have industrial engineering background and experience, it is better to go for EA assessment. Vetassess are very slow, they take around 2-3 months to give you the outcome. I have no idea about EA.

All the best.
Thanks a lot for your input and for your wishes.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys, I have a couple of questions now.

The current SOL has a footnote that says "Last modified Tuesday 15 July 2014". Does that mean we can expect the list to be changed again around 15 July of this year?

Also, the results to date for Industrial, Mechanical and Production Engineers is 1172 out of a ceiling value of 1680. Am I applying very late?

I'm wondering whether I should wait until July or simply apply for the skills assessment with Engineers Australia? What do you all suggest?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts

SOL is modified every Financial Year, to take into account the need for various Skills.

BUT you would get to know which Occupation is IN/OUT ONLY when the NEW SOL is out.

Its never late until the limit gets invited. In your case even IF this FY ends you would be inline for Next FY.

So you should go ahead with Skills Assessment ASAP.

Are you done with English Language Test?

Guys, I have a couple of questions now.

The current SOL has a footnote that says "Last modified Tuesday 15 July 2014". Does that mean we can expect the list to be changed again around 15 July of this year?

Also, the results to date for Industrial, Mechanical and Production Engineers is 1172 out of a ceiling value of 1680. Am I applying very late?

I'm wondering whether I should wait until July or simply apply for the skills assessment with Engineers Australia? What do you all suggest?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Jeeten. Thanks for the response. Yes myself and wife we've taken ielts last year so we will be applying with those scores.

I suppose I'll have to just quickly apply to Engineers Aus and not wait. There's a risk of IE being removed from the SOL but that's a risk I may have to take. But I see that IE was there on the 2013-2014 list too and wasn't removed for 2014-2015.

Reactions: Jeeten#80

·
Registered
3,427 Posts

Perfect !!!

All The Best !!!

Do let me know how it goes.

Hi Jeeten. Thanks for the response. Yes myself and wife we've taken ielts last year so we will be applying with those scores.

I suppose I'll have to just quickly apply to Engineers Aus and not wait. There's a risk of IE being removed from the SOL but that's a risk I may have to take. But I see that IE was there on the 2013-2014 list too and wasn't removed for 2014-2015.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts