Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

First off, I'm not an expat, but I spent a great 4 months in Isan in Thailand. While there, I fell in love with this bottled, sweetened iced tea sold in most of the small convenience stores, as well as Tesco. I was there about 8 years ago, but if memory serves, the tea was called Black Barley Iced Tea (or something like that), written in English on the label, and I believe it was manufactured by a major tea producer like Tetley or Lipton. It came in plastic bottles like the ones in the picture (see attached), but the label was mostly black or dark grey. The liquid was very dark brown and had a wonderful flavor.

I have had zero success finding any evidence of this product online. I've also had no luck at several large Asian supermarkets near my house here in California. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Has anyone had this drink or know if it's still sold? As mentioned, it was 8 years ago that I had it, but it seemed popular at the time, so I don't think it would have been discontinued.

Please help me find this drink! I've spent a long time thinking about this tea and it would be great if I could track it down again.

Thanks for your help!
:)

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Without the actual image that's a hard call. But if you can get to Thaitown in Los Angeles, then try there. If they don't have it there you're 'kee' outta luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it could have been lipton. It was definitely black tea and I think it was called Black Barley Tea. The bottle was black or dark brown.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts