Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks... Can you please help me out! I have search every avenue on the internet looking for information on going to France but not getting the exact info i'm looking for.

I want to move to France after christmas for a year with the intention of working (anywhere) and become hopefully fluent at the language!
I have not decided anything yet...

Am looking into the following cities:

Nantes
Grenoble
Bordeaux
Rennes
Toulousse
Lyon

Any of the major cities.
Has anyone any experience in moving to these places and trying to get jobs? Don't mind what work I get... Barwork, Mc Donalds, Kitchen Porter... as long as it pays, it's good! I have worked in France before and went to college in Grenoble for three months so my french isn't too bad but not fluent!

Also, will be looking to share accomodation... Do I have to have a french bank account to prove I can pay for the forthcoming months and are the french welcoming of "etrangers"?

Any help much appreciated...

Thanks

·
Administrator
50,464 Posts
Being that you're an EU national, you at least don't have to worry about visas, etc. But finding a job in France isn't really all that easy - especially just now with the economy so rocky. Depending on your qualifications, you may have an easier time finding a CDD (temporary job with a limited term) than landing a CDI (permanent job).

There are "co-location" rental agencies popping up in some cities in France, as sharing accommodation becomes more popular (and more necessary). Going through an agency may require you to have a French bank account, though chances are you'll be expected to have one to receive your pay once you find a job.

As to how welcoming the French are of "stranger" - the situation varies, depending on the area and the stranger his- or herself. French social customs are more formal than those of us "anglo-saxons" so there are more opportunities for mis-understanding. If you're willing to go with the flow and adapt your expectations as you go along, you should do all right.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.