Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am about to become the most annoying request for help post ever but I am going to have to deal with that. Basically the situation is that My wife and I have decided we would like to relocate and move to France. We are mainly considering the west / south regions and well I am a little light on knowing what to do!!
So I will list some points that I could use some direction on. Thanks.
1) I own my house but will look to rent this out, are rentals easy to come by and what sort of costs could i expect for a 3 bed. (forgot to mention two kids and a labrador!)
2) Work! I am soon to be registered with TEFL but I am also a semi skilled engineer, tail lifts and refrigeration to be exact. Am i employable? My wife has been a registered child carer provider for 17 years, has nvq3 in child care and education. employable?
3) Schools. Is it fairly straight forward to register a 4 year old and a 12 year old?
4) Language: It's been a while but with some refreshing I can hold my own, my wife will need a basic course for beginners beginners, is that sufficient to begin?
5) Are there any legal docs other than passport required to make this move?

I appreciate your time even reading this as well, you are thinking I should already know all this!!

Thanks

JJ

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Hiya
Location, location, location lol
Where's yr house in the UK ?
Where d'you want to be in France ?
TEFL is good; make contact with the Rectorat and the Inspection Academique for the area u intend to be in - get your cv on record
Child care - not sure - might have to contact someone (ANPE/CAF/Assistant Social) to see what to do about translation/equivalence of qualification
School reg: - contact target schools - Ecole Primaire for the youngster, College for the elder & they'll tell you how to go about geting enrolled
Language tuition - most places offer some kind of help; Ecole/College/Tourist Office/Mairie will give you advice
Docs - passports, yes (not necessarily for the dog if it's travelling one way only - save the dosh); get full copies (not abbreviated) of all birth certificates; might need your marriage/divorce certificate(s) too. Not worth getting medical records unless there are particular circumstances in your family, but do get ophthalmic prescriptions for glasses/lenses - will save you aggro here.

Depending upon your target area, you will almost certainly find expats around (some of them/us go into hiding so you may have to be persistent) who can help you with what you might need to know about the area; failing that, chat up the English teachers at the Ecoles/Colleges/Lycees in your target area - most of them are only too happy to be able to practice their spoken language in something more demanding than "Janet & John" (reference wasted unless you're of a certain age, but never mind!).

Good luck
Hils

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are in the North East, its nice but time for changes, basically its too cold!!
Thanks for your input, much appreciated, I feel I should expect a few headaches pending but hopefully worth it.
32... I know those books well!!

Cheers!

JJ

·
Administrator
51,324 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'll just add a couple details to what Hils has already told you.

As far as documents go, be sure to check on which E-documents you need to transfer your UK health insurance to the French plan during your transition period. There's also a form you need to file with the UK tax people to let them know you've left and won't be filing your taxes there anymore.

For the schools, just go visit the mairie for the town in which you are living. They will be able to tell you which schools your children will go to, and in many areas, it's the mairie that handles the sign-up process.

Language is the key thing as far as finding a job is concerned. You'll need to brush up particularly on the jargon of your trade if you hope to work in it. (TEFL obviously isn't as much of an issue - but the engineering stuff has all its own terms for things.) Child care will be tough until she's at least conversant in the language. The mairie may know of French classes available in the area through non-profit associations. (Most associations are affiliated with the mairies.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi
Welcome to the forum from another new member.
We have been over here for about a year and I'm frustrated with not being able to communicate easily so I'd definitely recommend having lessons as soon as possible, especially for your wife and your 12 year old, although you'll probably all be learning from your youngest once you get over here! We don't have children but there are lots of threads around the various forums about how difficult some teenagers find the change in culture and language.
You shouldn't find it difficult to find a property to rent over here, but giving you an idea of prices is difficult as it will depend where you go. We're in Poitou Charentes, are very happy here and prices aren't too bad. Again, your best bet is to find an area you like and look at the immobilier websites .../... (mod deleted) .../...

Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.