Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

playa del carmen

11K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  ElPocho 
#1 ·
hi , i am wondering if anyone can help me, i am coming to playa del carmen next month, is it possible to rent a place monthly for 200 us dollars including internet energy furnished etc, i don't do contracts but i think i will stay 6 months, so contract month to month only, is this possible? i am not bothered about a posh place, as long as its clean etc, hope you can help ,if you know of anyone that rents can you let me know please, even renting a room in someone house would be ok, but prefer my own place if possible . i am not rich sorry to say!!!kind regards zelia

#10 ·
Segundamano shows several rooms for rent for around 3,000 pesos, which is about 170 USD. It looks like you could find a studio apt for 4,000. You will need a functional level of Spanish, (or the assistance of someone who speaks Spanish) to go about viewing and renting a place in this price range.

Try these sites to get a better idea of prices and what's available:

Segundamano.com
Compartadepa.com.mx
Vivanuncios.com
Metrocubicos.com

To search, remember that the municipality is Solidaridad, and that Playa del Carmen is the Colonia. So first choose Quintana Roo, then Solidaridad, then Playa. As others have already mentioned, you'll find the least expensive options in neighborhoods outside of the centro. I can't advise you there, since I don't know the city, but perhaps someone else does, and can suggest promising neighborhoods.

Good luck!

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Segundamano shows several rooms for rent for around 3,000 pesos, which is about 170 USD. It looks like you could find a studio apt for 4,000. You will need a functional level of Spanish, (or the assistance of someone who speaks Spanish) to go about viewing and renting a place in this price range.

Try these sites to get a better idea of prices and what's available:

Segundamano.com
Compartadepa.com.mx
Vivanuncios.com
Metrocubicos.com

To search, remember that the municipality is Solidaridad, and that Playa del Carmen is the Colonia. So first choose Quintana Roo, then Solidaridad, then Playa. As others have already mentioned, you'll find the least expensive options in neighborhoods outside of the centro. I can't advise you there, since I don't know the city, but perhaps someone else does, and can suggest promising neighborhoods.

Good luck!
hi thank you for this info much appreciated kind regards zelia

#13 ·
I have a friend who is now working in Tulum and he just sent me a note that everything is super expensive...He is an indigenous who lives in a 2300 peso place in Chiapas,, does not have hot water, and is used to live on nothing, he just told me he could not wait to get out of the area because everything was so expensive..

#14 ·
cheap apartments

Hi i would just like to thank everyone for there help here !! i found a apartment in playa del carmen for 200 US Dollars a month after a little friendly negotiations that is !! 10 miniutes walking distance to center and beach ,only a room with a kitchen but sufisient for me !!so thank you all again .

kind regards zelia

#16 · (Edited)
Hey Santo, I looked at Sisal, Yucatan. I might check it out. They put a university campus there. Google Maps the area, yo will see a lot of fishing boats. It seems that they still have fishermen living on low wages.
If you decide that Playa is too expensive, and want to look at another area. I hope you like playa.
Are you looking for a tourist area or an area that would be for retirement or to work? Tourism drives prices up, but brings economic opportunities.

let us know how you like playa.

#17 ·
retire

Hey Santo, I looked at Sisal, Yucatan. I might check it out. They put a university campus there. Google Maps the area, yo will see a lot of fishing boats. It seems that they still have fishermen living on low wages.
Are you looking for a tourist area or an area that would be for retirement or to work?
Hi thank you EIPocho i will be looking to retire possibly if i like it that is as i have never been to Mexico befour i cant say at the moment

#22 ·
I hope your friend finds a good job and is living a better life soon !! I am afraid its not just in Mexico people are struggling here in my country too, But i find life has its good times and bad times for everyone, rich or poor !! its unfair i know but what can we do but keep marching on? If everyone would give a little to someone they meet even if its a bite too eat it would help !! there's a lot of street children here i buy them a bite too eat i know its not much but its something i think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.