Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We hate throwing plastic water bottles away . In Ukraine we can go and pay to have them refilled with fresh water. Is this available in Cyprus ?
There are some recycling bottle banks , but I'm not sure if all that stuff ends up any where else than the normal rubbish . Does anyone know about this ?

·
Registered
86 Posts
There are water dispensing machines all over Cyprus. For 1 Euro you can get around 40 liters of water. I have two 20 liter plastic jugs that I fill as needed (I can't really lift them to pour out of anything bigger than a 20 liter bottle) and use them to fill smaller bottles at home.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Oh, I forgot. My neighbor has his large (30 or 40 Liter) bottles refilled right at his house. A water tanker truck comes up to the house and fills the empty bottles my neighbor has left on the porch. Not sure if he pays a montly fee or by the bottle.

But within 1 km of my house, there are at least 4 water dispensing machines.

·
Registered
86 Posts
When I lived in Portugal the water at home was a bit 'iffy' so I got
British Berkefeld ATC SS2 Water Filter with Lead Removal - SafariQuip

fill with tap water, and the water is safe to drink, works like a charm.
Note sure if this would solve the problem, but it is worth a try.

In Cyprus, if you have water directly from the main water supply, it is safe to drink. Many houses do not have that though (including mine). The system is such that water comes from the main supply into a really big tank and sits in the tank a long time being replenished as the level is drawn down by use. The concern is that the water sits in the plastic tank and the organics from the plastic leach into the water, giving it a bad taste. Not to mention that there would be sediment in the tank too. Ideally, I would do some water quality testing, but I haven't the time to find where I can get it done and it is just easier to spend the money on the frsh drining water from the machine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.