Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Bev's brilliant help and knowledge; i have now joined the Expat forum. We are a mid forties couple who are planning to move to France with our parents in the next couple of years. Hopefully, at some stage, the children may follow too.

We journey to France at least four times a year and i have a French pen pal in 'Tours'. We travel the world, but France is the place for us.

We are doing our homework and investigating all that we can first. We travel around in our caravan, stopping off in potential areas, then drive around local villages. Hopefully, we will eventually find a farmhouse, with some need of renovation (lots of reading with my bought expat renovations books!)and plenty of land to continue our love of smallholding.

We are concentrating out search along the middle to Western coast of France.

I can't believe the amount of paperwork involved in everything..but when in Rome...

Its so good to hear how much help is available on this site, especially from Bev, who i immediately want as my new best friend (ha ha) with so much knowledge - Bev you are amazing!!

Each new bit of information that i digest, brings me closer to our goal.

Mike, my husband, is a Consultant Engineer, and although his work is based in the UK, he can work anywhere, which is an advantage.

Hopefully, you guys on the site, won't mind me bugging you for information from time ot time, in out planning for the final choice of area and the move??

Thanks for the helping hand; without people like you, the journey into a new life would be daunting indeed!!

·
Administrator
49,456 Posts
Hi and welcome.

I've moved this off into a thread of its own, in the hopes of attracting a few more replies. "Bugging" us for information is why we're here. And you're in the fortunate position of not having to mess with visas for coming to France.

Do take a look at the thread currently running on estate agents (or as Frogblogger has re-named them, surreal estate agents).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thankyou so much for moving my thread Bev--as you can see I'm not real flash on the computer and am finding my way around. I should be however I always gave the computer business to the kids.

Anyway I will be leaving for Nouvelle Caledonie early April of this year and can't speak a bit of French so I will being doing lots of stick drawings until I can grasp the language a little.

There is so much to know and I will continue to research this site. Thankyou so much everyone for the info you put out there

Hidalgo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi

I too would like Bev as my new best friend.
We sign finally for our dream house on 27th March this year 2010 when my family will finally make the move to France.
The final plans are terrifying I have lists everywhere and am constantly realising there are new issues at every corner.

My children are 3 and 1, my husband will continue to work in the UK doing a 4 day week. My Mother lives 500m up the road in France and we will stay there whilst I sort the utilities prior to moving in (hoping this will only take a week or so).
We do need to complete some renovations but I plan to stay living there whilst these are done (ground floor is habitable).

Any advice would be greatfully received, I am very nervous but know its the right move and am very excited too!

So far...
House found, compromi signed & deposit paid
French Bank account opened
E109 applied for
Appointment at Mairie for 30th March
Money for purchase forward purchased will be in French account 12th March.

Sally

·
Registered
6 Posts
p.s. Forgot to mention my USELESS French I have tried a CD course but find I pretty much know the actual words but just am incapable of saying them in a conversation because by the time I have grasped the subject, worked out what/how to say it, plucked up the courage to say it, the subject has changed. ARGH its so frustrating!!!

Sally

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's amazing Sally

You are way ahead of us, nearly there by comparison!

Good for you. What region have you bought in? We are still deciding, but it may be Dordogne/Gironde/Charente region.

We are still touring the areas in our caravan and have another research trip booked for July.

Sarah x

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi

We have bought in Les Verchers-Sur-Layon in 49 Maine et Loire. It is a truely beautiful area - I was always sure I wanted to be on the coast till I visited the Loire.

We have found an old farm house with a few acres, it will be idilic one day - remote hamlet with enough houses around to not be lonely.

Sally x

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great idea.

We are planning to buy a large farm house with at least 3 acres, as we want to have piggies, a donkey, chickens. few sheep, two horses and maybe a cow!

Oh, and my parents will be moving with us.

We don't mind some renovation work, so long as the main structure is sound, including any roof work.

We have a lot of homework to do first, but if you want something badly enough, you have to be prepared to work at it.

i think the language will come in time, so long as we continue to try to use it. Also, we are keen to keep in contact with any Expats out there, for moral support and friendship, but that is in addition to making new French friends too!!

Good luck with the hard work. Let me know if you come across any good ideas, or bad experiences!

Sarah x

·
Administrator
49,456 Posts
p.s. Forgot to mention my USELESS French I have tried a CD course but find I pretty much know the actual words but just am incapable of saying them in a conversation because by the time I have grasped the subject, worked out what/how to say it, plucked up the courage to say it, the subject has changed. ARGH its so frustrating!!!

Sally
It will be like that for a while - several months at least. But you get better at speaking the more you put yourself out there and just dare to make a fool of yourself. (Heck, you're a foreigner - they kind of expect it.)
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.