Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody I was wondering if you might be able to help. At some point in 2013 i am planning to move to Tours for 3-6 months to better my french. . I've been learning for some months now but find when I'm not in class i wont speak any french at all... I feel that if i put myself in a place where i'll be forced to speak french i may learn faster.

I was told by my tutor that Tours would be a good place to settle but i have no idea if its easy or difficult to find work, accommodation and so on... So that's where you all come in, would you know of any good places for rent and jobs in that area?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance
NicNakz

·
Administrator
49,164 Posts
Oh, you'll definitely learn French much faster when you're "forced" to use it day in and day out. (You'll also find that speaking French all day is exhausting! Takes far more concentration than usual.)

Tours is a lovely town. And they have a large and active AVF (Accueil des Villes Françaises) - a newcomer group that welcomes both expats and newly arrived French people to a given town or area. avftours - AVF Tours

Finding jobs can be tough just about anywhere in France these days, especially if your French is not up to conversational level. Though that also depends on what line of work you're in. The French tend to hire by formal "qualifications" so you would need to check out whether yours will transfer and what the market is like for whatever it is you do.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
974 Posts
I've been to Tours, it's a great little city and there's a good young population due to the universities there; it's a popular city to study in.

The most job opportunities for young/English speakers are probably in Paris and Lyon, but being the biggest cities it also means that the rent is extremely more expensive (at least double and possibly triple that of a city like Tours).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for your help, to bevdeforges i'm a freelance fashion designer so i would be looking for work in that field, but in the mean time any type of waitress job or shop work would help. And to Sarah i understand what you mean about living in the bigger cities but as I'll only have myself to rely on I'd like to keep costs as low as possible.

Thank you once again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.