Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Once I get my grant and move to Australia, I would like to pursue my PhD in Machine Learning/ Artificial Intelligence part-time, as I am working in that domain now. Anyone has any suggestions for University, Fees, Is part time available or not and stuff like that.

Kindly share your story

·
Registered
577 Posts
Not sure about your field of work so cant comment much, but Group of Eight universities or Australian Technology Network will be a good starting place for searching universities for doing a PhD. Most of them offers part-time PhD programs, and their fees will be available on their websites. My suggestion- go for a program where you can get a full scholarship and tuition waiver. Graduate offices at each university has a lot of info on all the scholarships they can offer. I came to Aus on Endeavour postdoctoral fellowship. They offer PhD scholarships as well; worth a look.

However, I would advise instead of looking for universities; spend some time in looking out for a supervisior who works in your particular field of interest. Finding a supervisor with expertise you wish to work upon is more important than the university itself.

Lastly; if you really intend to pursue a PhD I would suggest go for full-time as you will be able to dedicate you entire time to your research. Says a guy who spent 6 years full time on his PhD. Anyway, depends on individual choices and circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ArGo

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure about your field of work so cant comment much, but Group of Eight universities or Australian Technology Network will be a good starting place for searching universities for doing a PhD. Most of them offers part-time PhD programs, and their fees will be available on their websites. My suggestion- go for a program where you can get a full scholarship and tuition waiver. Graduate offices at each university has a lot of info on all the scholarships they can offer. I came to Aus on Endeavour postdoctoral fellowship. They offer PhD scholarships as well; worth a look.

However, I would advise instead of looking for universities; spend some time in looking out for a supervisior who works in your particular field of interest. Finding a supervisor with expertise you wish to work upon is more important than the university itself.

Lastly; if you really intend to pursue a PhD I would suggest go for full-time as you will be able to dedicate you entire time to your research. Says a guy who spent 6 years full time on his PhD. Anyway, depends on individual choices and circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for the detailed info :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you are a subject of PR, you will be exempted from tuition fee for research degree (Master by Research or PhD). The funding is called RTS (Research Training Scheme). However, you must cover your living by yourself, unless you secure a scholarship.

I totally agree with parth1310 that you should look at your interest subject, and who will be your potential supervisor?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are a subject of PR, you will be exempted from tuition fee for research degree (Master by Research or PhD). The funding is called RTS (Research Training Scheme). However, you must cover your living by yourself, unless you secure a scholarship.

I totally agree with parth1310 that you should look at your interest subject, and who will be your potential supervisor?
Thanks for the info..Yes I was looking at the same thing that Tuition fee will be waived...Im searching for supervisor

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.