Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people this my first post here. This has probably been asked many times before but is there any work for builders in Spain as I'm a qualified builder with 8 years experience and have my own tools. Also what work would be available for my partner who only has business and admin qualification. We will also be taking our dog with us. Is it best to rent or buy(with mortgage) and which areas are best for work. We have started learning the spannish language and will continue too. Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Now isn't a good time! Spain is in crisis and the construction industry has crashed, wait a few years

Jo xxx

·
Registered
558 Posts
Unemployment is running at 25% in Spain at the moment and 35% on the Costas. You have little chance of work an your partner has less. Sorry for being so blunt, but I have seen the tears of defeat and some sorrowful retreats. If you have work in the UK cherish it, nurture it, love it and come to Spain as often as possible on holidays.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have work here in north east of Scotland. Iv worked with same person since I left school so would always have my job back here if it didn't work out. And the construction industry has been in bad way here before in last 3 years and has never affected me. I see it that there is always work if you are willing to find it. Thanks for you advice

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seeing as unemployment is so high in Spain would it be worth buying a property at this current time and moving over when there is more work as property values seem to be very low just now and don't think they will keep dropping forever. Iv seen properties for as little as £30000 would be lucky to get a double garage for that up here

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
You need to do your homework and see how bad things are in Spain! The construction industry is dead. Skill and talent mean nothing when there is no work. Go on some fact finding missions and see what you can find

Jo xxx

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would it be wise to buy a property jus now in Spain and move over in future as iv seen propert value is very cheap at the moment. I know some people see it as a risk due to fact value could drop further but there also the chance the value could rise eventually.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
As i say, Spain is in crisis right now, rules are changing, property prices are falling and the country is facing an uncertain future. Unless you pay into the Spanish system, you won't be eligible for healthcare or any welfare payments.

If you don't have a proper, contracted job to go to, now is not the time.

Jo xxx

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would you know what average wage for builder/renderer is in Spain? I could contact some companies to enquire about work. Iv always been willing to put in the hours. Currently work from 7-6.30 with one 15min brake and one 30 min brake mon-Friday a d 7.30-12 on sat with one 15 min brake. I usually only take 3-4 weeks holiday a year

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I would imagine that there are so many desperate unemployed builders in Spain, that they wouldn't need to employ someone from the uk. And if they were to offer you employment, the pay would be low, irregular and uncontracted! Things are really bad, building companies have gone bust, banks now own millions of half built/new build properties and are in trouble too

Make some fact finding trips and see

Jo xxx

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I have work here in north east of Scotland. Iv worked with same person since I left school so would always have my job back here if it didn't work out. And the construction industry has been in bad way here before in last 3 years and has never affected me. I see it that there is always work if you are willing to find it. Thanks for you advice
Yes, but up here in the NE of Scotland, we've pretty much escaped all the pain of the recession- at least so far - yet construction is still suffering to some extent. You can not be absolutely sure you employer would be able to give you your job back in a couple of years time.

Don't throw up the job and security you are lucky to have just now for almost certain unemployment in Spain. It really is that bad right now. Start planning, save up as much money as possible, take some Spanish classes - get yourself ready for a possible move a few years time, when hopefully things will start to improve - but just don't do it now.

Many Spanish building skills are different to ours - and there is absolutely no work for those with years of experience over there - and the language skills. Plastering/ rendering in particular are different.

You wouldn't qualify for any unemployment benefit when you arrive, and there is no other support such as Tax Credits, Housing Benefit, etc.

The way things are right now in Spain, it just isn't true to say that there is always work for those who are willing - there really isn't at the moment. Many tradesman are advertising their services for as little as 5 euros an hour - and if you tried self employed you have to pay about 250euros a month whether you have earned a penny or not.

I doubt it is a good idea to try to buy property in Spain on a speculative basis right now - and no bank would give you a mortgage.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
So get serious. You would have to rent cos you wouldnt get a mortgage. Thats fine, most rent. How would you really go about getting work?? You'd get settled, then go where to look for work?? building sites?? Put adverts up??? You'd need to be self employed, which means you'd have to pay 250€ a month - even if you earn nothing, but paying that would mean that at least you'd have health care should you need it. But then what??? There are too many unemployed builders etc. for you to shine, and also you need to remember that spanish unemployment benefits dont last forever so you really will be against desperate people who will work for next to nothing! But there is hardly any work anyway and even the lucky ones are living from hand to mouth

I'm sorry if this is all negative, but its the reality. But go over, have a fact finding holiday and see how things are. Then you can make an informed choice

Jo xxx

·
Registered
19,381 Posts
Me, my partner and our dog
So, no kids or older family members?

If it all goes wrong it's only going to effect you 3?

Even so, I have to say that my opinion is the same as the others who have posted on here, and if you take a look at the forum at other people asking the same question they all get the same story.

Basically if you want work and a better life, why would you choose to come to Spain? Especially if you work in construction.

Look at this video - old, but things have actually got a lot worse since it was made.
Made in Germany | Spain: unemployment | Deutsche Welle - Dailymotion-Video.

Look at this article from The Guardian on Friday
Spanish property: Polaris golf resort homes crash to a third of original price | World news | The Guardian
It includes this paragraph
Good roads complete with zebra crossings built to link homes that have never been constructed, simply stop in the middle of nowhere. Conference centres lie unused on the edge of vacant developments. Stores, restaurants and sports facilities have failed to materialise as the developers have run out of cash. Those who bought "luxury' villas for €1m in the good times would be lucky to get a third for them now – if, that is, they could ever find a buyer happy to tolerate living on an unfinished complex.

Do you still think it's a good dea to give up a good job in Scotland? This is the kind of situation you'll find in most places in Spain ATM.

However, if you want to take a chance it's up to you. Only you can decide how much risk you are willing to take.

I'm not trying to make you cry into your beer. Maybe another country or another part of the UK?
It looks like they are taking people on in New Zealand. Take a look at this thread especially the article in the last post :)
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/sp...you-cant-find-work-spain-try-new-zealand.html

·
Registered
160 Posts
I believe about 10-12 euros ph but like the others are saying virtually no building work is going on here at all,everything has stopped.Even the Spanish builders have little or no work at present. Many buildings are sitting half finished and have been abandoned. The only work you could possibly find is renovation projects on properties bought by expats but these would be few and far between and you would not earn a regular wage. The cost of living here in Spain is lower than the UK but if you need work then please don't come over to Spain at present as you would most certainly not be able to support yourself and your family.Hopefully some time in the future things will improve but it may take a long time.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts