Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I am new to this thread.. Have a query, which I think someone from here would be able to answer..
New Zealand is always a dream country for me and would love to settle here if ever I get an opportunity. I have a positive skills assessment from one of the Australian skill assessment agencies and also have superior english language ability(as per one of the recognised tests). Would I be able to apply for New Zealand immigration with these credentials or do I have to start the process fresh for NZ.. My understanding is that NZ follows more or less the same procedure for immigration as Aus.. so maybe I can just submit an EOI for NZ.. Not sure If I am making sense here.. please answer

·
Super Moderator
4,931 Posts
Although there may be similarities, since NZ is a different country with a different Immigration agency and different processes you would have to start all over again.

The only thing you need to worry about before EOI submission is your qualifications. They either need to be exempt from assessment and as such recognised in NZ or they need to have been assessed by NZQA to determine if they meet the equivalent level as a qualification gained in NZ.
No previous assessment from Oz will suffice.
Also, skills aren't assessed in NZ prior to the formal application submission. A person makes a claim on the EOI and if they subsequently get through to the ITA stage it is at this time they need to provide the evidence that supports the EOI claim. It is at this time Immigration will determine whether your evidence proves that you have the work experience claimed in the EOI.
You will also have to provide evidence that you meet the basic English language requirement as a principal applicant - minimum 6.5 overall in IELTS.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Although there may be similarities, since NZ is a different country with a different Immigration agency and different processes you would have to start all over again.

The only thing you need to worry about before EOI submission is your qualifications. They either need to be exempt from assessment and as such recognised in NZ or they need to have been assessed by NZQA to determine if they meet the equivalent level as a qualification gained in NZ.
No previous assessment from Oz will suffice.
Also, skills aren't assessed in NZ prior to the formal application submission. A person makes a claim on the EOI and if they subsequently get through to the ITA stage it is at this time they need to provide the evidence that supports the EOI claim. It is at this time Immigration will determine whether your evidence proves that you have the work experience claimed in the EOI.
You will also have to provide evidence that you meet the basic English language requirement as a principal applicant - minimum 6.5 overall in IELTS.
Thanks escapedtonz,

Appreciate you taking out time for answering my queries. Is there a simple list/link where I can assess how many points I can claim for EOI.. Unfortunately the points calculator on NZ immigration website is confusing that I am struggling to figure out the exact points that I can claim

·
Super Moderator
4,931 Posts
Thanks escapedtonz,

Appreciate you taking out time for answering my queries. Is there a simple list/link where I can assess how many points I can claim for EOI.. Unfortunately the points calculator on NZ immigration website is confusing that I am struggling to figure out the exact points that I can claim
The simple list/link is the points indicator. What is so hard to understand ?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
finding hard to ascertain the number of points I can claim for my work experience as not able to get understand whether my skill is under their absolute skill shortage or not
Or maybe I am not looking at correctly

·
Super Moderator
4,931 Posts
finding hard to ascertain the number of points I can claim for my work experience as not able to get understand whether my skill is under their absolute skill shortage or not
Or maybe I am not looking at correctly
Is your ocupation on the LTSSL?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, My occupation is on LTSSL.. Code : 224712.. I have over 7 years of work experience in this..

I am also a Bachelors of Technology in Electronics and Communication... Would you be able to suggest the points that I would be getting...

other credentials :
IELTS Score : more than 6.5 in each..

·
Super Moderator
4,931 Posts
Yes, My occupation is on LTSSL.. Code : 224712.. I have over 7 years of work experience in this..

I am also a Bachelors of Technology in Electronics and Communication... Would you be able to suggest the points that I would be getting...

other credentials :
IELTS Score : more than 6.5 in each..
Difficult for me to get your points right as I don't know all of your individual circumstances but with the little info you've given I get you at 120 points. If i then assume you also have a level 3-6 qualification also that you studied for before the date in 2o11 then I'd have you at 130 points.
Enough to be eligible to apply but not enough to get the EOI selected. Minimum for that is 140 unless you had a job offer. You could get upto another 20 points for a partner ?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Difficult for me to get your points right as I don't know all of your individual circumstances but with the little info you've given I get you at 120 points. If i then assume you also have a level 3-6 qualification also that you studied for before the date in 2o11 then I'd have you at 130 points.
Enough to be eligible to apply but not enough to get the EOI selected. Minimum for that is 140 unless you had a job offer. You could get upto another 20 points for a partner ?
Thanks for this!!..

My partner also has qualification which would be around 3 or 4 per NZ standards.. and would also have 6 in each bands of IELTS..

One more query.. my entire work experience is in India.. Is that ok.?

·
Super Moderator
4,931 Posts
Thanks for this!!..

My partner also has qualification which would be around 3 or 4 per NZ standards.. and would also have 6 in each bands of IELTS..

One more query.. my entire work experience is in India.. Is that ok.?
Your partner would have to meet minimum 6.5 overall in IELTS to claim partner points. 6.0 is insufficient, and with a recognized Level 3 or 4 qualification you'd get 10 partner points.

Work experience can be anywhere in the world.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks

I believe getting a qualification assessment done from NZQA is the first step.. I am right?
Also, do they accept only IELTS scores or other tests like PTE/TOEFL are also accepted?

·
Super Moderator
4,931 Posts
Thanks

I believe getting a qualification assessment done from NZQA is the first step.. I am right?
Also, do they accept only IELTS scores or other tests like PTE/TOEFL are also accepted?
Yes qualification assessment by NZQA is the first step, if your qualification is not recognized. If your qualification is exempt from assessment there's no need to have assessment completed.

No IELTS is the only test accepted.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes qualification assessment by NZQA is the first step, if your qualification is not recognized. If your qualification is exempt from assessment there's no need to have assessment completed.

No IELTS is the only test accepted.
Thanks so much for all of this info.. I would reach out to you in future if I would be struggling to find an answer to a question..

·
Super Moderator
4,931 Posts
Thanks so much for all of this info.. I would reach out to you in future if I would be struggling to find an answer to a question..
Ok.
That's what the forum is for...to help people along in the process.
We aren't professionals or experts and aren't authorised to give immigration advice. We're just individuals who've been through it ourselves.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Maggie: do you have PERMANENT resident visa in Australia? Because if you do, you will be granted residence upon arrival in New Zealand.

Requirements

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No mate..I have applied for South Australia State Sponsorship and would be lodging a visa application if I get the nomination from the state..

Are you guys aware of any agency/consultant that helps in getting a job offer from a New Zealand employer because that seems to be the best way of getting a work cum residence Visa

1 - 17 of 17 Posts